How many views do you think a new Gn'R single can get in 24 hours?

Considering that AC/DC's newest single got 2 million views in one day, how many do you think Gn'R would get if they were to release a new album? Less? Or more?

Axl and Slash's first song in almost 30 years would get a lot of views for sure, but is it really something the general public cares about in 2020? IIRC, Shadow's video (the closest thing to a new song being released) got 600.000 views in it's first day, which is not too much.

They should've released it in 2016, when they announced the reunion. That year Gn'R felt like they actually were that huge band again, everyone was talking about them. A new single on top of that would've destroyed every chart. Nowadays, I honestly don't know.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 1

If they did proper promotion for it I think they could get at least 2 million like AC/DC if not more, simply because it would be the first GnR song with Axl and Slash together. With SOYL they didn't really market it like that.

50 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

They should've released it in 2016, when they announced the reunion. That year Gn'R felt like they actually were that huge band again, everyone was talking about them. A new single on top of that would've destroyed every chart. Nowadays, I honestly don't know.

I agree with this 100%. Even 2017 or 2018 would've worked. They missed that opportunity big time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Hardschool is a fine rocker though (much better than AC/DC's new single), and Slash and Duff seem to have reworked it into a classic GN'R style as well. I think it would work as a comeback single.

But it’s already been released. I think punching power of the song wouldn’t be as impactful. AcDc has the benefit of consistent engagement of its audience and the rock audience over many decades. GNR just don’t operate that way as a band. 

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

For other bands maybe, this is a band that's put out Jungle, PC, SCOM, YCBM.
Hardschool is a spec of dust you flick of your shoulder compared to those.

This. 

It's an okay-ish song, but nowhere near the quality Guns is able to produce.

If I would be the manager of Guns, I'd make sure they'd release three singles before releasing a full length record.

#1 WTTJ meets Chinese Democracy -type rocker

#2 An acoustic ballad

#3 A Guns epic combining elements from the two previous songs

Then WHAMMO! Album out and let the world (read: this forum) go nuts!

But pinball machines are all we get 😅

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

If they did proper promotion for it I think they could get at least 2 million like AC/DC if not more, simply because it would be the first GnR song with Axl and Slash together. With SOYL they didn't really market it like that.

I agree with this 100%. Even 2017 or 2018 would've worked. They missed that opportunity big time.

It would have been great had they released a song before the tour kicked off, but I understand why they didn't want to start with a new album and just go directly into touring. They had to feel each and the situation out... by mid 2017 it was clear it was working and they were bestest buds, by that time motions for new music should have been taken and by 2019 at the latest that record should have appeared. 2021 approaching and I have no faith in a gnr record appearing.

Also, I reckon they'll hit the 2million good or bad, people will at least be curious! Hopefully the first cut that gets released is a fire breather! 

Edited by Tom2112

17 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

But it’s already been released. I think punching power of the song wouldn’t be as impactful. AcDc has the benefit of consistent engagement of its audience and the rock audience over many decades. GNR just don’t operate that way as a band. 

Not an official release. Only the demo. A bit of a difference especially since Slash and Duff have revamped it a bit. 

18 hours ago, moreblack said:

For other bands maybe, this is a band that's put out Jungle, PC, SCOM, YCBM.
Hardschool is a spec of dust you flick of your shoulder compared to those.

If you're expecting any new material to be on the same level as Jungle, PC, SCOM, etc. then you deserve to be disappointed when it doesn't happen. :shrugs:

On topic, they could probably get a couple million views if they heavily promoted it in advance. But if they really wanted to capitalize on the reunion hype they should've released at least a single in 2016-17.

19 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Considering that AC/DC's newest single got 2 million views in one day, how many do you think Gn'R would get if they were to release a new album? Less? Or more?

Axl and Slash's first song in almost 30 years would get a lot of views for sure, but is it really something the general public cares about in 2020? IIRC, Shadow's video (the closest thing to a new song being released) got 600.000 views in it's first day, which is not too much.

2016 was the year, they missed the mark. I genuinely don't care about a new single or album anymore, the magic is gone unless they get their mojo back like in 2016 or change the lineup.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

They should've released it in 2016, when they announced the reunion. That year Gn'R felt like they actually were that huge band again, everyone was talking about them. A new single on top of that would've destroyed every chart.

You just depressed me by jogging my memory for what it was like in the spring and summer of 2016. GNR was everywhere. All over billboards in Chicago. Almost all of my friends and people I knew went to one of the Soldier Field shows. They band was definitely "back." I was like, FINALLY, MOTHERFUCKERS. I mean, to me, they never left. I had been attending GNR shows and Slash/Conspirators shows and so forth. But it was so rad to see people falling back in love with GNR.

I get why there was no record in 2016. Get out and tour while the demand is sky high. By 2018, 2019, I was pretty well disgusted nothing had dropped. Not even a single.

I was so pumped last year with the leaks. I remember being in Kentucky for Louder than Life, cranking the hell out of the leaks in my car and rolling down the highway. Top of the world. And here we are over a year later and nothing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/9/2020 at 12:20 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

If you're expecting any new material to be on the same level as Jungle, PC, SCOM, etc. then you deserve to be disappointed when it doesn't happen. :shrugs:

On topic, they could probably get a couple million views if they heavily promoted it in advance. But if they really wanted to capitalize on the reunion hype they should've released at least a single in 2016-17.

I think it would be fair to release a song written by the three of them as the first single rather than a re worked Axl song.

58 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think it would be fair to release a song written by the three of them as the first single rather than a re worked Axl song.

Yea, for the first single it would make sense to release a song written by Axl/Slash/Duff.... which is probably why it hasn't happened :lol:

I don't really count Hardschool as an "Axl song" though.... Duff was still in the band when it was first being worked on in the 90s, we don't really know how far back it actually dates. If the credits on the first single looked something like "Rose/McKagan/Huge/Reed" I'd be fine with that (though I'm sure half the forum would throw a tantrum about it lol)

• Like 1