Would GNR add a Van Halen song to the set, once they are back on the road?

Some of the members have played VH, in Velvet Revolver, for the Van Halen ROF induction. They played Aint talkin' Bout Love & Runaround.  They were not well received, I think mostly due to Weiland.  Do you think they would add a song since they have a history of doing this? If so , what song?

I really dislike what Slash did with Van Halen's original solo in Michael Jackson's Beat It, so I hope not.

25 minutes ago, DPR714 said:

They played Aint talkin' Bout Love & Runaround.  They were not well received, I think mostly due to Weiland.

I do miss Slash's tone from that era (and from the Illusions and Snakepit). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

I mean yea why not, like GN'R doesn't have enough covers in the setlist.

I would say an ideal setlist should look like this:

WTTJ

LALD

Nice Boys

Attitude

The Seeker

Riff Raff

Dead Flowers

KOHD (18 minutes version)

Don't Let It Bring You Down

Down On The Farm

Sailing

Paradise City

Don't forget Slash's 18 minute Rocket Queen solo.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I do miss Slash's tone from that era (and from the Illusions and Snakepit). 

Me too. I'm not a guitarist so I don't understand why it has changed, but that 90's sound was always unmistakably Slash... just perfect, and it's missing now. Is it kit (amps, pedals etc), or his fingers / playing?

Edited by ToonGuns
Spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I appreciate EVH as much as everyone else but not everyone who passes away needs to be covered by GN'R.

Also, I don't want to gnrs piss poor version of Ain't talkin' bout love! If they could donate great off the cuff version then ok, but it would need to be a one and done affair, unlike BHS, Witchita etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Me too. I'm not a guitarist so I don't understand why it has changed, but that 90's sound was always unmistakably Slash... just perfect, and it's missing now. Is it kit (amps, pedals etc), or his fingers / playing?

Yes, it seems as he has lost his "magic", and now he is centered in playing fast. I don't find any feeling on Slash nowdays.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DPR714 said:

Some of the members have played VH, in Velvet Revolver, for the Van Halen ROF induction. They played Aint talkin' Bout Love & Runaround.  They were not well received, I think mostly due to Weiland.  Do you think they would add a song since they have a history of doing this? If so , what song?

It wasn't well received due to the drama that was surrounding Van Halen at that time. People wanted to see VH perform their own song, whether it was Sammy or Roth singing. It really had nothing to do with Velvet Revolver. 

10 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

I mean yea why not, like GN'R doesn't have enough covers in the setlist.

I would say an ideal setlist should look like this:

WTTJ

LALD

Nice Boys

Attitude

The Seeker

Riff Raff

Dead Flowers

KOHD (18 minutes version)

Don't Let It Bring You Down

Down On The Farm

Sailing

Paradise City

Where's wichita???

12 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I really dislike what Slash did with Van Halen's original solo in Michael Jackson's Beat It, so I hope not.

Seemingly there's no way we'll hear Slash tapping anything so he never will play solos like Beat It note for note. Slash won't be the problem if the band decides to cover a song. There are weaker spots in GNR right now...guess who?

If they do, i hope they are more prepared this time. That VR RnR HOF performance lmao. Why Slash? Why would you play Ain't Talking About Love like that? Just Why?

Probably the easiest VH song, and the most iconic to me. So simple, so good.

But i think Axl would do a great job in that song, it's not a hard song to sing, you just need attitude, very similar to some AFD songs in that way. 

Edited by Rickodez

4 hours ago, Rickodez said:

If they do, i hope they are more prepared this time. That VR RnR HOF performance lmao. Why Slash? Why would you play Ain't Talking About Love like that? Just Why?

Probably the easiest VH song, and the most iconic to me. So simple, so good.

But i think Axl would do a great job in that song, it's not a hard song to sing, you just need attitude, very similar to some AFD songs in that way. 

Axl can't sing his own music anymore. I'd hate to hear another cover at this point.

• Like 1