Chinese Democracy on cassette?

Sweersa

As the title implies, was Chinese Democracy ever released on audio cassette? I don't believe it was in the US, but curious on foreign markets.

I have a "classic" vehicle from 1999 that only has a cassette player, so I have been collecting some of my favorite albums on cassette to play in it. 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Not officially, but there have been some bootleg cassettes made, as far as I know. Idk how easy they are to get tho.

I appreciate the response! I guess I'll just hope their next album is on cassette. :D

Or, I'll just get with the times. :P

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Could you record your own "mixtape" using the CD as a source? I can't imagine a bootleg copy of Chinese on cassette would sound very good tbh.

Probably, I don't have the tech on hand but I'm sure it could be done. In such a case, I'd opt for a 2000-ish album using the village leaks as source material. Would be more fitting for a '99 Benz too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Probably, I don't have the tech on hand but I'm sure it could be done. In such a case, I'd opt for a 2000-ish album using the village leaks as source material. Would be more fitting for a '99 Benz too.

Yea, if you're making your own it'd make sense to use the best versions of the songs from the Village leaks.

Years ago I had a boombox with a CD player on top and a cassette player / recorder on the bottom... but finding one of those things that actually still works might be harder than finding a bootleg cassette :lol:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, if you're making your own it'd make sense to use the best versions of the songs from the Village leaks.

Years ago I had a boombox with a CD player on top and a cassette player / recorder on the bottom... but finding one of those things that actually still works might be harder than finding a bootleg cassette :lol:

I agree! Haha

I've been tinkering with various cassette players. Sadly as it relates to this conversation, I have found that boombox cassette decks seemed to have aged the most poorly. (Thats only like having worked with 3, mind)

For doing a dub from a CD Id suggest a really high quality (for its time) tape recorder. The type a journalist or interrogator might have used. Make sure its not micro cassettes! They'll have an aux in, so youd be set to go from cd player.

I think for digital you could go out the headphone jack of a digital player, into the same type of tape recorders mic input? Im not as sure about that as I am the above, CD option. It could end up mono? Think you might need an ad/da convertor?

Edited by soon

• 2 years later...

I ended up buying a bootleg from eBay. I don't think it's the same one as the one pictured here, but the audio quality of it is 7 out of 10., at best so I don't use it. I think it came from Croatia, or from that part of the world. 

On 3/7/2023 at 2:02 PM, Sweersa said:

I ended up buying a bootleg from eBay. I don't think it's the same one as the one pictured here, but the audio quality of it is 7 out of 10., at best so I don't use it. I think it came from Croatia, or from that part of the world. 

Please could you post some pics?

19 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Wow that is pretty cool. Mind if I ask where you picked it up and if you would consider selling?

It came with a paper strip that says: Instagram: custom_made_music

Not sure if they are active or not anymore, I think I bought it off eBay a few years back. I was unhappy with the audio quality of the cassette. It doesn't sound right, so it got little use. 

Yes, I would sell but can only ship within the US.

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

It came with a paper strip that says: Instagram: custom_made_music

Not sure if they are active or not anymore, I think I bought it off eBay a few years back. I was unhappy with the audio quality of the cassette. It doesn't sound right, so it got little use. 

Yes, I would sell but can only ship within the US.

How much would you be looking for it? 

On 10/12/2020 at 10:01 PM, Sweersa said:

As the title implies, was Chinese Democracy ever released on audio cassette? I don't believe it was in the US, but curious on foreign markets.

I have a "classic" vehicle from 1999 that only has a cassette player, so I have been collecting some of my favorite albums on cassette to play in it. 

Thanks!

Apparently there is an official release 

https://www.discogs.com/release/23834741-Guns-N-Roses-Chinese-Democracy/image/SW1hZ2U6ODA1OTY1MjY=

6 hours ago, izzyjim said:

That is incredible! I wonder if it was a promo sample, or internal marketing sample? It not having a UPC implies to me it was not intended for retail distribution. 

If it wasn't made by an official source, it's an excellent bootleg. 

• 4 weeks later...