Why does this band bring out such an emotional response?

Ever since GnR came onto the scene they  have evoked a kind of emotion  that other bands have not.  They are not a band to 'take or leave'  once  you discover them as they  bring about strong reactions.  Its seems almost cultish with Axl being the supreme being.  Why do you think this is?

• Like 1

Its a good question. And I wonder about it too!

To some degree, I think its as simple as 'because they are experts at making us feel this way.' Like, going on super late builds anticipation for instance. And from the jump they were far more skilled media operators than they let on.

I think they are very much products of their time. Of Reagan's America. A focous on cocaine, Coke, Malls, Arcades, specialty tv channels (such as Mtv), fake boobs, the spectacle of WWF. All while being encouraged to ignore the cold hard reality of poverty and union busting. I think they were steeped in this until it was normalized. And, as I say, I think they new how to operate in it and pull all the right levers.

Add in a mystical layer with Axl meditating on top of Tower Records. He had a spiritual guide helping him become the biggest rock star on the planet. When you can sing that well. And have so much to emote. AND you believe in doing so you are liberating your soil from an oppressive society. Its quite the combustible cocktail!! :headbang:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

There has never been a band that I was more passionate about. Probably because of my age when they hit it big.  I think I was 13 when they started to break and I rode the wave all the way through highschool and adulthood.  I followed every move the members made in their solo careers... especially Slash.. I followed Axl until 2001/2002 then he just turned me off..  Still there was nothing I wasn't more in rock than a reunion.. I literally had dreams about it...

Now I have reached a point where I have never been so uninterested. I almost wish the reunion didn't happen, It all could have and should have been so much better.  It was all ten years too late. This lineup just isn't that great live.. Axl is a shell of his former self. I couldn't care lesss about anyone on stage except Slash, Duff and Axl to some extent.. I have to ignore the others because they they either suck , are annoying or both. I used to be obsessed with this forum.. Now I look at the threads and am just like "who cares?".  I still check every couple of days hoping to find something good. But what would that be?  I don't even care if they release a song at this point and don't have any faith an album from this lineup would be any good..  The Youtube selects just show how bad they really are and were another effortless letdown.

I did have a blast at the shows I attended this tour flaws and all.  It was also cool to get re-mastered versions of some demos on Locked and Loaded but even that set wasn't that great... But that is about it. I have come to a point where I wouldn't mind if they just called it a day...

Not that far off where I'm at with them... although I am still interested in the concept of a new album😄. If they called it quits I could live with it happily enough though, I've seen them enough. That is however astonishing to me considering this is one of my most favourite bands. If Metallica said they were retiring tomorrow I'd be gutted. If GNR did it Id say that it was the logical next move, performances were shakey and there's no new material, so best to go out with some dignity and on a "high"... 

As for the question - I have no idea! they certainly don't deserve this kind of interest! I guess it's that they got such a level of fame / notoriety and most of us got heavily into them when we were young, so we feel attached and sentimental to them. When they are doing all the things we don't want it's hard not to vent and wish for more... even when you know that what it is, is as good as it will get.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

There has never been a band that I was more passionate about. Probably because of my age when they hit it big.  I think I was 13 when they started to break and I rode the wave all the way through highschool and adulthood.  I followed every move the members made in their solo careers... especially Slash.. I followed Axl until 2001/2002 then he just turned me off..  Still there was nothing I wasn't more in rock than a reunion.. I literally had dreams about it...

Now I have reached a point where I have never been so uninterested. I almost wish the reunion didn't happen, It all could have and should have been so much better.  It was all ten years too late. This lineup just isn't that great live.. Axl is a shell of his former self. I couldn't care lesss about anyone on stage except Slash, Duff and Axl to some extent.. I have to ignore the others because they they either suck , are annoying or both. I used to be obsessed with this forum.. Now I look at the threads and am just like "who cares?".  I still check every couple of days hoping to find something good. But what would that be?  I don't even care if they release a song at this point and don't have any faith an album from this lineup would be any good..  The Youtube selects just show how bad they really are and were another effortless letdown.

I did have a blast at the shows I attended this tour flaws and all.  It was also cool to get re-mastered versions of some demos on Locked and Loaded but even that set wasn't that great... But that is about it. I have come to a point where I wouldn't mind if they just called it a day...

One more tour and call it quits for me as well. I just don’t think GNR/Axl translate to playing in your 60’s.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, soon said:

Its a good question. And I wonder about it too!

To some degree, I think its as simple as 'because they are experts at making us feel this way.' Like, going on super late builds anticipation for instance. And from the jump they were far more skilled media operators than they let on.

I think they are very much products of their time. Of Reagan's America. A focous on cocaine, Coke, Malls, Arcades, specialty tv channels (such as Mtv), fake boobs, the spectacle of WWF. All while being encouraged to ignore the cold hard reality of poverty and union busting. I think they were steeped in this until it was normalized. And, as I say, I think they new how to operate in it and pull all the right levers.

Add in a mystical layer with Axl meditating on top of Tower Records. He had a spiritual guide helping him become the biggest rock star on the planet. When you can sing that well. And have so much to emote. AND you believe in doing so you are liberating your soil from an oppressive society. Its quite the combustible cocktail!! :headbang:

Well said!

• Thanks 1

GN'R came onto a music scene that was dominated by hair rock and pop rock. They were the first real rock band in that generation who lived the life they were writing about and cracked the ceiling to make it to the top. I think this is where the emotions originally stemmed from. They weren't known as 'the most dangerous band in the world' for nothing. Celebrity worship of people like Axl and Slash are normal consequences of fame.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Wow you have followed them since teen years until now, it must be really sad for you.  I wish Axl and Slash could be made to read your post maybe bump them out of there apathy...who knows.

Axl and the band polarise people and opinion. Always have and always will. 

but hanging around waiting for something to happen with this band is fruitless. 
As someone famous once said “you are better off waiting for Jesus, I hear the payoff would be a lot greater” ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

This year is shit. And while the next year will also be shit, it is the year they will release something. Mark my words. 
Just the fact it will have been 30 years since their last original record means something. 

Don't see why 30 years is signficiant. Time (and wasting it) has never mattered to Axl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

This year is shit. And while the next year will also be shit, it is the year they will release something. Mark my words. 
Just the fact it will have been 30 years since their last original record means something. 

I'm sure you're right.  They probably have big plans to re release UYI for it's 30th anniversary.

I don't even consider them a real band anymore. I love their old stuff but i rarely play it, there's not a lot to choose from after all. 

I had already decided after 2017 that i won't bother seeing them anymore. Axl sounds awful and there's no chemistry with the band. 

I'll stick to watching pre '94 shows and SMKC 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I don't even consider them a real band anymore. I love their old stuff but i rarely play it, there's not a lot to choose from after all. 

I had already decided after 2017 that i won't bother seeing them anymore. Axl sounds awful and there's no chemistry with the band. 

Late 2017 onwards was patchy for sure but before that it was really good with the odd awesome show. It’s difficult to measure the chemistry as I think for the most part it’s fine live.....we just don’t know how it’s translated in the studio.

38 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

This, except SMKC bores me to tears. 

• Like 2