Guitar Tuning and Intonation problem

Hello! :-)

I have a really annoying issue with my electric guitars. I always had tuning issues in the past thanks to bent truss-rods and so on, so I took the guitars to a luthier who brought them back into shape. When I got them back, they were close to perfect. But now, already a few days later, the octaves on each string are in average more than a quarter-none off, which of course sounds incredibly painful. I can't adjust the bridge any further since all the screws are already at their limits. I don't have my guitars laying around on the ground or something, they all stand on guitar stands and I take care of them, so I really don't know what causes this recurring issue.

Can this be some kind of temperature or air-humidity issue in my appartment maybe? I know I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about and unfortunately, that is exactly the case. So if you have any idea, I would be very thankful for any thoughts of you guys. Thanks a lot.

Not to be condescending, but are you sure you're moving the screws the correct direction? How are you checking the intonation?
A quarter tone is huge for intonation to be off. I'd check the truss adjustment and the height of the action.

• Like 1

Theres debate over how ideal leaving a guitar on a stand is. And part of the cons list is because stands put stress on the truss rod.

And since you are wondering about humidity, it might be worth trying to keep your guitars in cases with guitar case humidity controllers.

Also, dont neglect the nut in your trouble shooting.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot to all you guys! :) Appreciate the tips. 

On 10/16/2020 at 4:58 PM, AxlisOld said:

Not to be condescending, but are you sure you're moving the screws the correct direction? How are you checking the intonation?
A quarter tone is huge for intonation to be off. I'd check the truss adjustment and the height of the action.

No problem :) It's a normal tune-o-matic bridge, and since I've used this one a lot already I'm sure I'm using it right. As you said, I'll probably have to check the truss rod again.

When checking intonation, I first tune the open string, then play the octave in the 12th fret, and depending on wether it's too high or too low I turn the screw in the corresponding direction after loosening the string. In the past this has always worked well but since it's really so far off and can't be further adjusted, it can only be the truss rod/heigh action/storage of the guitar and/or a combination of all of them. Will be fun to find out, haha :facepalm:

19 hours ago, Nesret said:

Thanks a lot to all you guys! :) Appreciate the tips. 

No problem :) It's a normal tune-o-matic bridge, and since I've used this one a lot already I'm sure I'm using it right. As you said, I'll probably have to check the truss rod again.

When checking intonation, I first tune the open string, then play the octave in the 12th fret, and depending on wether it's too high or too low I turn the screw in the corresponding direction after loosening the string. In the past this has always worked well but since it's really so far off and can't be further adjusted, it can only be the truss rod/heigh action/storage of the guitar and/or a combination of all of them. Will be fun to find out, haha :facepalm:

Use a tuner, and play the harmonic, and then LIGHTLY fret the twelfth fret, and tune it to that. Not the open string. I have always tuned my guitars to the harmonic matching the 12th fret.

• Thanks 1
On 10/16/2020 at 2:41 AM, Nesret said:

Hello! :-)

I have a really annoying issue with my electric guitars. I always had tuning issues in the past thanks to bent truss-rods and so on, so I took the guitars to a luthier who brought them back into shape. When I got them back, they were close to perfect. But now, already a few days later, the octaves on each string are in average more than a quarter-none off, which of course sounds incredibly painful. I can't adjust the bridge any further since all the screws are already at their limits. I don't have my guitars laying around on the ground or something, they all stand on guitar stands and I take care of them, so I really don't know what causes this recurring issue.

Can this be some kind of temperature or air-humidity issue in my appartment maybe? I know I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about and unfortunately, that is exactly the case. So if you have any idea, I would be very thankful for any thoughts of you guys. Thanks a lot.

Humidity fucks up Acoustic guitars for sure. Do you keep it in a case and do you have one of these fuckers:

https://www.amazon.ca/Oasis-OH-1-Guitar-Humidifier/dp/B000K67VRO/ref=asc_df_B000K67VRO/?tag=googlemobshop-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292928318793&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8784555951410843852&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001531&hvtargid=pla-499772899197&psc=1

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Thank you very much for the link, looks like that's exactly what I need :-) much appreciated!