Judas Priest

action

One of the most consistent, creative and awesome rock bands ever.

They just released two fucking awesome albums back to back (redeemer of souls and firepower), at a moment in their career where other bands have long turned into a joke. 

halford- best vocals in history? what a range, and what a wicked tone.

tipton / downing: what a guitar sound.

consistently awesome, all of it.

• Like 1

Huge fan. 

Firepower was good, but a step down from Redeemer imo. I actually rate Nostradamus as one of the best things they've ever done. But then I've always liked Priest at their most experimental (Stained Class, Sad Wings Of Destiny, Sin After Sin etc). 

Edited by Towelie

i seen them live once and they totally caught me off guard with one of the most awesome shows I ever seen. was one of the first seasons with faulkner, and they opened with "rapid fire". what a way to open a show.

my favorite albums: defenders of the faith, painkiller,  angel of retribution, redeemer of souls and firepower

honorable mentions: killing machine, british steel, screaming for vengeance and stained class

I'm less a fan of their more progressive 70s stuff

Edited by action

I’m a casual fan. I’ve come to enjoy them a lot more over the years. British Steel through Turbo is one of the greatest runs of albums in all of metal, and I know it’s a super unpopular opinion but I think Turbo is their best album. Love that sound and wish they had explored it further. 

I’ve seen them five times, mostly on combo tours and at festivals. I thought they were so bad the first time I saw them (On the Nostradamus you’d) that I actively avoided seeing them for years after that. Really enjoyed the gigs every time I’ve seen them since though, and I did go to see them do a headline show last year when they did the second leg of the Firepower tour where they did all deep cuts. 

• 3 weeks later...

DON AIREY BREAKS SILENCE ON JUDAS PRIEST ‘PAINKILLER’ BASS PARTS

After 30 years, Don Airey has confirmed that he, and not Ian Hill, contributed the majority of the bass lines on Judas Priest's 1990 album Painkiller via Moog bass synthesizer.

The veteran keyboardist, who's been in Deep Purple since 2002, admitted his role in an interview with Antihero. "[Judas Priest drummer] Scott Travis has spilled the beans about it that all the bass parts are me playing on the mini," he said. "It’s Moog bass on the whole album, that was Ian Hill’s bass mixed in as well on parts. But at the time Ian wasn’t very well. So, he wasn’t at the sessions. So, I got made to do all the bass and they kept it."

Read More: Don Airey Breaks Silence on Judas Priest 'Painkiller' Bass Parts | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-airey-judas-priest-painkiller/?

Edited by Sosso

On 11/7/2020 at 5:46 PM, Sosso said:

DON AIREY BREAKS SILENCE ON JUDAS PRIEST ‘PAINKILLER’ BASS PARTS

After 30 years, Don Airey has confirmed that he, and not Ian Hill, contributed the majority of the bass lines on Judas Priest's 1990 album Painkiller via Moog bass synthesizer.

The veteran keyboardist, who's been in Deep Purple since 2002, admitted his role in an interview with Antihero. "[Judas Priest drummer] Scott Travis has spilled the beans about it that all the bass parts are me playing on the mini," he said. "It’s Moog bass on the whole album, that was Ian Hill’s bass mixed in as well on parts. But at the time Ian wasn’t very well. So, he wasn’t at the sessions. So, I got made to do all the bass and they kept it."

Read More: Don Airey Breaks Silence on Judas Priest 'Painkiller' Bass Parts | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-airey-judas-priest-painkiller/?

Don Airey has contributed so much to so many bands.

First time I really heard of him was when he joined Deep Purple. I went to see them at Newcastle City Hall back in maybe 2002 (???), I guess the Bananas tour? It was Jon Lord's farewell tour and half way through the set he played a massive hammond organ solo (as he tended to do). During the solo dry ice slowly filled the stage completely while the organ solo continued... as the dry ice dissipated Don Airey had replaced Jon Lord mid-solo (without anyone realising) and then played the rest of the gig. :headbang: That was a wonderful farewell for Jon Lord, and my introduction to Don Airey - emerging from a cloud of smoke while playing a hammond organ solo.

Edit: might have been the other way around come to think of it (Don Airey starting, being replaced by Jon Lord mid solo... leading into Perfect Strangers), but you get the idea!

Edited by ToonGuns

• 8 months later...