Rate Living The Dream

Free Bird

Rate Living The Dream!  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Living The Dream compared to the other SMKC albums?

• Great! Best SMKC record ever!
    • It's ok, but still better than their previous records.
    • It's a good album, but WOF and AL are stronger records.
    • It's good, better than AL, but not as good as WOF.
    • It's good, better than WOF, but not as good as AL.
    • It's awful but still their best work.
    • It's awful. I prefer their other awful attempts of making music.
    • I really like Myles but Slash has lost it for quite some time now
    • Nah, never listen to this boring and generic band.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/2020 at 11:00 AM

I really like that record and while WOF was a very strong album, this one tops it somehow for me. I think SMKC raised with every record they released.

I'm not against a new Slash project with a new vocalist, but I'm convinced a 4th SMKC record (which is already in the works in some form) will satisfy me. 

Better this than no new music at all :thumbsup:

• GNFNR 1

I don't get the hate for this album. I think it's more about it not being a GNR album than anything else. 

It's tighter and stronger than both AL and WOF to me.

The Great Pretender, My Antidote, The One You Loved Is Gone, Driving Rain, Mind Your Manners, Boulevard of Broken Hearts... all great tracks. 

WOF and AL are both too long, with a handful of strong tracks and a lot of b-side quality material. I prefer how concise LTD is by comparison and I think the quality is more consistent.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

Its the only SMKC album that I know, and I enjoy it. Mostly just listen to Driving Rain, but theres some other good tracks. The P-90 single coil tones is a really cool distinction within Slashs catalogue.

I find my ear drawn to the drums and bass, often times. Theres a lot of neat choices going on there.

• Like 1

WOF was good, bit too much generic filler but overall a good album. AL was great, it had a bit of sleaze, and their 2 best songs (you're a lie and anastasia) Slash and friends is my fav - it made slash write a variety of rock to fit the vocalist. Living the dream has one ok song - driving rain. The rest are just generic, myles lyrics are shite, slash's solos are boring and the songs are just meh. It's not 'Awful' it's just bland. SMKC are prob finished creatively an slash needs axl and duff to get his best work now.  

non of the poll options.

for me every smkc record works the same, i really like it when released, easily find my favorit tracks, after listening and enjoying it for some time, it ends up on the shelve.

idk, maybe because listening to Myles doesn't excite me for to long, don't get me wrong i don't hate him (like others do on here) but sometimes i wish Slash would split up the vocals between him and Todd Kerns, who at least live, does a vocally really great job.

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

WOF was good, bit too much generic filler but overall a good album. AL was great, it had a bit of sleaze, and their 2 best songs (you're a lie and anastasia) Slash and friends is my fav - it made slash write a variety of rock to fit the vocalist. Living the dream has one ok song - driving rain. The rest are just generic, myles lyrics are shite, slash's solos are boring and the songs are just meh. It's not 'Awful' it's just bland. SMKC are prob finished creatively an slash needs axl and duff to get his best work now.  

You're a Lie and Driving Rain are both among the worst songs on their albums in my opinion. Also I think Slash's solos on LTD are well structured and full of emotions, everything but boring :shrugs:

I think Slash and Myles suffer from some redundant song writing. Almost every song is verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus. Myles also almost always goes for the semi generic major key sounding chorus even when it doesn't go with the song imo.

I loved them until 2015 and then it seemed things are good with where they were. Obviously, GNR reuniting factored into that. We all want Axl+Slash and Myles+Slash is a semi boring consolation prize now. I still dig them for some catchy songs and Slash playing. I like all the members, I am a Myles fan, and I am grateful for the good memories with the album's and tours, but we got everything out of this now that Guns is back.

It isn't Slash's fault, and it is great he is still doing something. It's on Axl for new GNR music, but that still doesn't make us all think "if only" when listening to a post-reunion Slash song

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Dissident said:

Both Living The Dream and World On Fire are phenomenal albums, the latter is just a little too long, I will say that World On Fire has grown on me more lately but Living The Dream is still a stronger album IMO. Apocalyptic Love doesn't come close to either. 

I don't know, I've often read this argument with the lenghth of WOF. If I were responsible for that I'd have shorten it for 4 songs. Number 10 and 13-15. Those are the songs I skip everytime. 

When reading your name I don't think you would agree with me. Instead you would have shorten the album with songs that I probably wouldn't like to miss. 

I rather have one more song on an album that I don't like than one song less that I like. But that's just my opinion.

Regardless, we agree on AL is the weakest album of SMKC, the weakest, but it's still enjoyable for me with Anastasia and Halo as the strongest tracks on there. 

13 hours ago, soon said:

Its the only SMKC album that I know, and I enjoy it. Mostly just listen to Driving Rain, but theres some other good tracks. The P-90 single coil tones is a really cool distinction within Slashs catalogue.

I find my ear drawn to the drums and bass, often times. Theres a lot of neat choices going on there.

Why haven't you heard the other two records? And do you know Snakepit?

17 hours ago, Free Bird said:

You're a Lie and Driving Rain are both among the worst songs on their albums in my opinion. Also I think Slash's solos on LTD are well structured and full of emotions, everything but boring :shrugs:

You like generic, I like exciting :lol:

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Why haven't you heard the other two records? And do you know Snakepit?

I havent heard the other SMKC albums because the singles I heard from them didnt appeal to me. Driving Rain did, and I was also just in the mood for some new Slash as NITL lumbered on with no sign of new Guns music.

Snakepit 1 is basically Guns canon in my mind. Love it.

20 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I don't know, I've often read this argument with the lenghth of WOF. If I were responsible for that I'd have shorten it for 4 songs. Number 10 and 13-15. Those are the songs I skip everytime. 

When reading your name I don't think you would agree with me. Instead you would have shorten the album with songs that I probably wouldn't like to miss. 

I rather have one more song on an album that I don't like than one song less that I like. But that's just my opinion.

Regardless, we agree on AL is the weakest album of SMKC, the weakest, but it's still enjoyable for me with Anastasia and Halo as the strongest tracks on there. 

As someone who likes to sit down and actively listen to whole albums I prefer albums around the 40-50 minute mark. That being said I love the idea of having more music from artists for the purpose of playlists. If I were to go extreme and make a 40 minute album it would be the following:

1. World On Fire
  2. Shadow Life
  3. Wicked Stone
  4. Bent To Fly
  5. Beneath The Savage Sun
  6. Avalon
  7. The Dissident
  8. The Unholy

Order would be different, and the rest of the album I do need to revisit sometime soon since my taste may have changed. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 2:24 PM, Towelie said:

I don't get the hate for this album. I think it's more about it not being a GNR album than anything else. 

It's tighter and stronger than both AL and WOF to me.

The Great Pretender, My Antidote, The One You Loved Is Gone, Driving Rain, Mind Your Manners, Boulevard of Broken Hearts... all great tracks. 

WOF and AL are both too long, with a handful of strong tracks and a lot of b-side quality material. I prefer how concise LTD is by comparison and I think the quality is more consistent.

I think it's that the first single was so average, didn't really have much of a riff, the solo was 'meh' to quote David Crosby... first impressions are important. 

It also isn't as immediate as WOF, I think Slash comes from the Motorhead school 'Just get it out' and sometimes the material isn't as strong as it could be... this album is definitely that for me anyway. I think the nail was hit on the head with WOF.

3 hours ago, The Dissident said:

As someone who likes to sit down and actively listen to whole albums I prefer albums around the 40-50 minute mark. That being said I love the idea of having more music from artists for the purpose of playlists. If I were to go extreme and make a 40 minute album it would be the following:

1. World On Fire
  2. Shadow Life
  3. Wicked Stone
  4. Bent To Fly
  5. Beneath The Savage Sun
  6. Avalon
  7. The Dissident
  8. The Unholy

Order would be different, and the rest of the album I do need to revisit sometime soon since my taste may have changed. 

Nice selection. Now replace The Dissident and Avalon with 30 Years and Too Far Gone, maybe add Safari Inn and I'd take that!

Edited by Free Bird

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I think it's that the first single was so average, didn't really have much of a riff, the solo was 'meh' to quote David Crosby... first impressions are important. 

It also isn't as immediate as WOF, I think Slash comes from the Motorhead school 'Just get it out' and sometimes the material isn't as strong as it could be... this album is definitely that for me anyway. I think the nail was hit on the head with WOF.

I thought WOF (the song) was rubbish. Driving Rain was much better to me. 

5 hours ago, Towelie said:

I thought WOF (the song) was rubbish. Driving Rain was much better to me. 

It's pretty funny the different opinions.

For me, I didn't love the song WOF when I heard it first, but it grew on me over time... it is pretty dumb😄

The driving rain song just didn't have a great riff, and for a Slash song the riff has to be there... kinda reminded me of that same feeling I got when herd 'Come on, come in' just blah!! I'm going to give it another shot though, sometimes a good breather makes all the difference... plus seeing as Slash is the closest to GNR music that I'll get I may as well get on-board. I Still listening to most of WOF regularly.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's pretty funny the different opinions.

For me, I didn't love the song WOF when I heard it first, but it grew on me over time... it is pretty dumb😄

The driving rain song just didn't have a great riff, and for a Slash song the riff has to be there... kinda reminded me of that same feeling I got when herd 'Come on, come in' just blah!! I'm going to give it another shot though, sometimes a good breather makes all the difference... plus seeing as Slash is the closest to GNR music that I'll get I may as well get on-board. I Still listening to most of WOF regularly.

I feel similar. WOF has a great riff but I think they didn't exploit it's full potential. After the solo though it's a pretty amazing song. I just don't like Driving Rain.