Stonks, Shares, Trading and Other Nonsense

Dazey

On 12/19/2020 at 3:38 AM, downliner said:

I also put £100 into CHZ (Chiliz) last weekend but I didn't really research it too much. More of a punt tbh because it was so cheap (1CHZ=£0.0099), but it's already worth £117 so Im wishing I'd bought a lot more.

11 days later and my CHZ coins are now worth £168 :lol: Going to double down on this one and buy more, I think it's gonna to balloon in value over the next few years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dazey said:

Have you ever heard of the Turtle Trading method before? 

Trend method? In passing. I prefer to hold companies longer and therefore am more into the Buffet school of focusing on the fundamentals (more cash than debt etc etc) - and it helps if I know, use and like the company.

The value of Bitcoin must be around its ceiling, am I right?

We all know that Bitcoin is solely used for illegal activity: gambling, drugs, prostitution. But the value keeps increasing by 2% to 3$ every day. 

With the introduction of Bitpay, PayPal and others getting into the game, the market will flood and the value will tank. Supply and demand. 

1 hour ago, arnold layne said:

The value of Bitcoin must be around its ceiling, am I right?

We all know that Bitcoin is solely used for illegal activity: gambling, drugs, prostitution. But the value keeps increasing by 2% to 3$ every day. 

With the introduction of Bitpay, PayPal and others getting into the game, the market will flood and the value will tank. Supply and demand. 

I don't invest in cryptos as I don't really understand it all, but this is a bubble and like every bubble it will burst eventually. Set trailing stop losses if you are investing. 

On 10/20/2020 at 12:12 PM, EvanG said:

I had a friend in high school who was brilliant at all of this... some weeks he would make thousands of euros profit easily, and he was just a kid. I tried to get into it, but I don't know enough about it and I am not much of a gambler.

You Dutch invented it (albeit on earlier precedents)! Dutch East India Company. 1602. World's first stock exchange. 

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bugger me. Tesla at 766! 

PS

Simply glorious. Dodgy start for the S&P also, and it isn't even Nio Day yet!

The S&P took off like a rocket today when the markets opened in the US. Up nearly 70 points in 2 hours. 

22 minutes ago, Dazey said:

The S&P took off like a rocket today when the markets opened in the US. Up nearly 70 points in 2 hours. 

Which S&P is this? It dropped from 3,726.00 to 3,707.00 when it opened. All my (heavily) correlated stocks took a nosedive dive.

PS

Ahh, the NASDAQ utterly collapsed when it opened before rallying dramatically much like the S&P, and as I'm probably a bit too exposed in tech/e-commerce, it seemed more pronounced for me, the reds. Need to invest in boring shite like sewage removal and insurance haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Which S&P is this? It dropped from 3,726.00 to 3,707.00 when it opened. All my (heavily) correlated stocks took a nosedive dive.

PS

Ahh, the NASDAQ utterly collapsed when it opened before rallying dramatically much like the S&P, and as I'm probably a bit too exposed in tech/e-commerce, it seemed more pronounced for me, the reds. Need to invest in boring shite like sewage removal and insurance haha.

S&P 500. Are you talking about opening in the US ie 14:30 UK time?

It shot up from 3698 to 3764 in the two hours after opening on my chart.

YnU1B1E.jpg 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You need to zero in more. Here (Yank time),

sap.jpg.983e51f06ee35e4830fe988bfc1ecb22.jpg

Ah, I was counting from the opening of the New York Stock Exchange. That's the point each day when the market activity really takes off. From 14:30 UK time when the NYSE opens until 16:30 UK time when the UK exchange closes there's two hours where it all goes apeshit which is great for day traders.

Not so much of interest to you if you're buying and holding stocks but I generally only hold a trade for a couple of minutes at a time. I'll generally buy and sell after making 1-2 points. 

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Ah, I was counting from the opening of the New York Stock Exchange. That's the point each day when the market activity really takes off. From 14:30 UK time when the NYSE opens until 16:30 UK time when the UK exchange closes there's two hours where it all goes apeshit which is great for day traders.

Not so much of interest to you if you're buying and holding stocks but I generally only hold a trade for a couple of minutes at a time. I'll generally buy and sell after making 1-2 points. 

Some of the brokerages boot you off for scalping too much. 

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I use these guys for scalping MES 500. $5 a contract or multiples thereof. $400 minimum account size which isn't too much. Software is really good too.

https://ninjatrader.com/

Although I don't bother with futures I have bookmarked it - might explore at a later date.

That is how Nick Leeson broke Barings, futures: futures on the Singapore and Japanese markets. It unravelled when, betting on an immobile Nikkei, the Kobe earthquake occurred sending the markets tumbling. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Although I don't bother with futures I have bookmarked it - might explore at a later date.

That is how Nick Leeson broke Barings, futures: futures on the Singapore and Japanese markets. It unravelled when, betting on an immobile Nikkei, the Kobe earthquake occurred sending the markets tumbling. 

You can download the software on a free month trial with a live data account to have a play around with. It's always prudent to set a sensible stop loss I find. :D When I started doing it I made a couple of grand in a very short time but then lost it again and I'm up by a few hundred at the moment so I've reduced my contract size from $50 to multiples of $5 until I get more chance to practice. So far I'm up about $60 for the day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

You can download the software on a free month trial with a live data account to have a play around with. It's always prudent to set a sensible stop loss I find. :D When I started doing it I made a couple of grand in a very short time but then lost it again and I'm up by a few hundred at the moment so I've reduced my contract size from $50 to multiples of $5 until I get more chance to practice. So far I'm up about $60 for the day.

Short selling the FTSE only to watch the superior British economy trounce the crumbling Eurozone?

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Short selling the FTSE only to watch the superior British economy trounce the crumbling Eurozone?

Nothing quite so exciting unfortunately. Just managed five 1-2 point scalps at two contracts a time.  

Just now, Dazey said:

Nothing quite so exciting unfortunately. Just managed five 1-2 point scalps at two contracts a time.  

With traditional stocks you don't actually lose any money until you close. If you have invested in ''good'' companies, there is never any risk if they go down provided you hold - even after 2007-08 the S&P eventually rebounded. 

I say good companies. You need to select well. Stay clear of Canadian cannabis companies!! In general stay clear of things you don't know much about.

The Buffet school of thought is best: companies you use, know and like. (Saying that I have strayed from this myself: what interest do I have in Chinese gay looking cars?).

Example. I invested in Nintendo because my nephew is Mario obsessed - and of course I used to play Nintendo. I know Nintendo is probably not going to go bankrupt.

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Damnit! My feed has gone down! I can't trade!!!!!

I literally lost £40 (well, minus value of the stocks - I don't lose anything unless I close) since the events which I'm not allowed to discuss now. It was turning into a decent day also, steady growth.

Thankfully I have a Chinese ETF and gold which kept me afloat a bit. Gave me a chance to chuck another £50 on Nio during the dip also. Nio is Chinese but floats on the Nasdaq, and is politically affected by Biden etc etc.

(Almost tempted to just ditch yankee stock altogether!)

Strangely Tesla barely dropped. Telsa is a superhuman stock.