Stonks, Shares, Trading and Other Nonsense

Dazey

So I've recently found myself bored, midlife crisis'y and with a bit of spare cash seeing as most of the pubs are fucking shut. Consequently I'm contemplating some form of investment to avoid having to suck off tramps for baccy in my imminent old age. Anybody here into that sort of thing? (Investing, not fellating hobos)  What are you trading, how do I do it and can you lend me a tenner? :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

Download Robinhood, it's great for beginners both in terms of accessibility and the guidance it offers users on stocks. On most large stocks, you are given the stats on how many analysts say buy vs. don't buy, you're also given one argument for why to buy the stock and one as to why you shouldn't. Eventually you'll be doing your own research, but it's a good starting off point.

I trade options which is very high risk/high reward, but if you're just looking to do some mid-long term investing, big tech companies show no sign of slowing down. Look at the stock charts for Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, etc over the last few years, they're pretty safe bets. My favorite pick right now though is Alibaba, which is the Amazon of China. China is going to continue growing fast as shit and Alibaba has solid financials. Plus, stocks with exposure to the Chinese market are expected to benefit from a Biden victory (extremely likely) as people expect Biden to be softer than Trump was.

Solar stocks are also blasting up as people prepare for a Biden victory, check that out. You can invest into a solar company index, like $TAN, so you don't have to actually research each individual company.

8 hours ago, Dazey said:

So I've recently found myself bored, midlife crisis'y and with a bit of spare cash seeing as most of the pubs are fucking shut. Consequently I'm contemplating some form of investment to avoid having to suck off tramps for baccy in my imminent old age. Anybody here into that sort of thing? (Investing, not fellating hobos)  What are you trading, how do I do it and can you lend me a tenner? :lol: 

https://ladbrokes.com

• Haha 3

I had a friend in high school who was brilliant at all of this... some weeks he would make thousands of euros profit easily, and he was just a kid. I tried to get into it, but I don't know enough about it and I am not much of a gambler.

Edited by EvanG

I'm not tempted. My dad (who is usually very fiscally conservative and level-headed) lost loads of money in stocks and shares. 

He went from owning four houses, planning to die a millionaire, to owning one house and having to work part time in B&Q to pay his bills.

And one of those houses was supposed to come my way upon his death. 

At one point he encouraged me to get a stocks and shares ISA. I'm so glad that I didn't take his advice. 

Take your chances Dazey, but be warned you could end up with a daughter as bitter as I am. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 10/20/2020 at 6:55 AM, SoulMonster said:

Started swing trading but realized it takes too much effort and the likely return is too low unless you start off with much more money than I was willing to do.

Decided to have a go at price action trading. I've made a grand in two days. :lol:

Probably going to quit now. I've probably used all my luck up. 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Damn dude, that's awesome. Piqued my interest. The only investments I've made were in blackjack tables, very minimal returns.😄

Yeah man, I'll probably lose it all tomorrow. I literally just watched a few Youtube vids so I really don't know what I'm doing. :lol: 

On 10/22/2020 at 10:45 PM, Gracii Guns said:

I'm not tempted. My dad (who is usually very fiscally conservative and level-headed) lost loads of money in stocks and shares. 

He went from owning four houses, planning to die a millionaire, to owning one house and having to work part time in B&Q to pay his bills.

And one of those houses was supposed to come my way upon his death. 

At one point he encouraged me to get a stocks and shares ISA. I'm so glad that I didn't take his advice. 

Take your chances Dazey, but be warned you could end up with a daughter as bitter as I am. :lol:

Don’t blame the old man, its like what Kipling said ‘when you’ve spunked it all on one game of pitch and toss, then you’ll be a man my son’.

Something to that effect anyway :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut

5 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I spaffed 200 quid today betting on the IPL. Kolkata Knight Riders v Kings XI Punjab. 

I don't know anything about gambling but I know a lot about cricket and I know I'd never gamble on T20! Any bugger can beat anyone on any given day. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't know anything about gambling but I know a lot about cricket and I know I'd never gamble on T20! Any bugger can beat anyone on any given day. 

They had Chris Gayle to come in batting at number 3 so I was dreading Kolkata taking a wicket because as soon as he came in he just twatted it to every part of the ground. They were restricting the run rate nicely until then after nearly 10 overs so taking that 1st wicket was a definate disadvantage. Bizarre version of the game.

3 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

They had Chris Gayle to come in batting at number 3 so I was dreading Kolkata taking a wicket because as soon as he came in he just twatted it to every part of the ground. They were restricting the run rate nicely until then after nearly 10 overs so taking that 1st wicket was a definate disadvantage. Bizarre version of the game.

T20 is just a lottery. Take for example Royal Challengers Bangalore or whatever they're called. They have had Kohli and AB de Villiers for years yet, forever the bridesmaid, never won the IPL in their history!

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Have a look at Rolls-Royce (RR.L)!!

Lost £50 on those fuckers a couple of weeks ago. :lol: 

I’m not actually paying attention to any individual stocks. I’ve been reading up on how to identify patterns in market trends and buy/sell within a few seconds to a couple of minutes. 

Logged on today and the market was tanking so all I did was bet on it tanking more and did pretty well out of it. 

Edited by Dazey