Time to let go?

Let go of what? Who is forcing us to be here or to be big fans?  I feel like a broken record but until someone shows that GnR no longer owe the label any albums, I'll continue to believe that new music is coming. If they never release another song, they'll still be my favorite band. I will see them again as well when they tour which I doubt will be next year so hopefully 2022.

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 2

I stopped expecting a new album, and good live performances, a while ago. They're still my favourite band because of the back catalogue and I've enjoyed the shows I've been to, and of course if there is a new album (or leaks) I'll listen to it a thousand times, but I've lost interest in this touring machine. I still enjoy this forum, but the band isn't really the reason I still visit here...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I stopped expecting a new album, and good live performances, a while ago. They're still my favourite band because of the back catalogue and I've enjoyed the shows I've been to, and of course if there is a new album (or leaks) I'll listen to it a thousand times, but I've lost interest in this touring machine. I still enjoy this forum, but the band isn't really the reason I still visit here...

For clarity, I'm not referring to the forum. I love this forum. I'm talking about what we expect from the band. Everyone is very good at scaling back and saying "I don't care very much anyway" but we all do. My question pertains to whether we need to accept that we've seen the best of this band and perhaps its time we manage our own expectations?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W. Axl Kev said:

For clarity, I'm not referring to the forum. I love this forum. I'm talking about what we expect from the band. Everyone is very good at scaling back and saying "I don't care very much anyway" but we all do. My question pertains to whether we need to accept that we've seen the best of this band and perhaps its time we manage our own expectations?

Yea, we've definitely seen the best from the band. I've been saying since the reunion happened that if people expect new music to be on the same level as AFD and UYI, they deserve to be disappointed. That doesn't mean they can't make a good album though, and hopefully they'll surprise me and actually release a new album, but I'm not waiting for one. I still listen to the 2019 leaks regularly, though.

It's a strange concept to me.  You like the music, or you don't.  Let go of what exactly?  Just decide we don't like the band anymore?  Does it work like that for anyone?  "Oh, you still like Welcome to the Jungle?  Pfft, I decided not to like GnR anymore last fall."

Maybe while I'm at it I'll decide I don't sex anymore, because reasons.  "You still bang? Pfft, I just decided I like my hand better than a cooter.  I 'Let pussy go."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I pose a question to the forum: is it time to let go?

Disclaimer: I absolutely anticipate this will be merged or swept into another topic because it doesn't contain a new piece of info but this part of the forum is called "Discussion & News"

I joined this forum in 2005 at the same time as @Axl_morris because we were obsessed with the mythology of GN'R; who Axl was, where he's been and what comes next with this amazing rock band. 15 years later, I've seen them 8 times (on both sides of the Atlantic), I've arrived at a record store for opening for Chinese Democracy, I've flown my girlfriend to North Carolina to see them, I've bought merchandise, I got some lyrics from Locomotive tattooed on my ribs (9 years ago when I was younger, in my defense) and I've been here for every leak, rumor, new photograph, fake photographs and my all time favorite moment; when a forum member claimed he was hiding under a desk at Geffen Records secretly recording 'IRS' which resulted in a forum member driving for 6 hours to buy the recording, only for it to all be a scam. Hilarious.

Those of us still here wish our lives away over more new music, leaks (Cock-a-roach soup, anyone?), more tours, raspier voice, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum, Izzy Stradlin and, Lord save me, Robin Finck.

Few fans of few bands have ever had so much fun chasing the pursuit of happiness with a group. I'd argue bands who have more albums (Metallica, Aerosmith etc) have burned out rather than stood out. We follow a group who have confused us, frustrated us, let us down, "wowed" us but ultimately always left us wanting more. Maybe that's good enough? Maybe we reflect on how great this has all been rather than all living as if a new album and tour will come out next month and we'll continue this journey from 1995.

Again, I expect this to be swept into another thread but this isn't a "general musing", it's a topic for debate (which is what forums are all about, right?).

Is it time to let this go? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Kev

I totally get what you’re saying. I think clearly the best are behind them for a number of reasons. Technology has changed, which gives us a  front row ticket to almost every live show . That’s watered it down a bit. Then there’s  not near as much mystique around this band and specifically “woke” Axl as once was. Plus we’re all older and in different parts of our life. To me nothing beats the excitement of the Hammerstein in 06’ the vibe around the band was so good then. Then 2010 was great because Axl still sounded amazing and brought back a more classic look. We thought they were finally going to work Chinese on the live cicuit and then move on, they didn’t . 2011-2014 was still exciting to me and I was able to catch quite a few shows, but as I was approaching 30, the front row or bust attitude I had in my 20’s was starting to fade. 

The 2016 reunion was super exciting, it was confirmation for what many of us used to argue with our friends, if Axl and Slash got back together, it would be the biggest event of the summer. Indeed it was. But due to the crazy prices, the over saturation, and  disintegrating performances, it did get a bit boring and predictable. So yeah the best is definitely behind them and us as far as how much we’d enjoy it, at least for me. GNR will always be a part of my life, just not as important as it was during my teens and 20’s. 

At this point, I can’t imagine anything they could do that would  change that for me.  

• Like 3

I saw GNR in 2016 twice, freshly reunited with Axl in fine vocal form, and Steven Adler on drums for a couple of tunes.  At this point I am sort of making my peace with that being the best GNR experience I probably will ever have - and man was it kickass so I am content with that

At this point beyond more of the same old touring with occasional random bursts of deep cuts brought out for a couple of shows, I am not expecting anything.  If a new album ever comes I will probably find my fandom reignited but I am not expecting it anymore nor am I holding by break for one

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The band ended in 1993. Enjoy them how one would enjoy The Beatles or Elvis, i.e., you are still in possession of the old albums. 

Sorry - I don't agree with that. I think the end might be nigh but the band didn't end in 1993. They've released a live album, a Greatest Hits and a new album since then. My point is more along the lines of 'there's probably nothing next', and that's fine.

Edited by W. Axl Kev
  • Like 1

We are definitely towards the end it seems but that’s more down to age. Unless we get more material which reflects where they are at now (musically and ability/vocals) then it’s difficult to see them performing live for the long haul with the current suite of songs.

• Like 2

I literally only care about three things at this point:

1.Soul Monster with vocals

2.Oklahoma/Berlin with vocals (assuming it exists)

3.The General

Those are the only specific reasons I'm still holding on. I'd no doubt be excited to hear any other CD II tracks, but in all honesty I don't care if there's ever a "brand new" GNR track, as I don't like Slash's recent work and am not really interested in whatever the corporate jukebox that used to be Axl Rose has to say lyrically, so the fact that they seem to be creatively bankrupt doesn't bother me. If an eventual album was all new songs instead of reworked CD II I'd be too pissed off/disinterested to even listen to it. I became a fan because of CD and am just here to ride this saga out. Even if Axl retired tomorrow I still wouldn't "let go" as I'd still be waiting for the other tracks to leak/released as a boxset.

• Like 2

Been here since 2003 and have thought the same a few times over the last 4 years. At the end of the day there are too many good people here, and we can talk about anything, doesn't have to be GNR.

Guns will always be my favorite band because of the music they've created. That doesn't mean I have to act tone deaf. Until Axl sounds better, I will not spend another cent on concert tickets.

It's fun to post here- I always get some laughs out of the comments and people are pleasant. It gets me through the days really, coming here and discussing my favourite band, and realising I'm not alone out there. 

I'm sort of accepting of the idea now that we'll never hear anything new. I'm not ok with that- I think it's a shameful waste of talent and opportunity, but I accept that's the way it will be. Nothing but an album actually being releasing will make me think there is any new material- we've had promises and carrot dangling for years and years. 

For me though it's not about letting go as there always might be a bootleg leak, an old video discovered, something like that to give me a bit of a rush. 

My love of GNR is a joke to all my music loving friends, and has been for years. They laugh at the band, laugh at me for loving it, etc. Always have done always will do.

So I doubt I'll ever 'let go' (GNR mean too much to me) but I'm a realistic adult. I don't need to have sort of cathartic farewell moment for my fandom- it's all just fun and good memories at this stage, with a despairing/bemused attitude to their current status, which I view almost like a soap-opera or television drama. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I literally only care about three things at this point:

1.Soul Monster with vocals

2.Oklahoma/Berlin with vocals (assuming it exists)

3.The General

Those are the only specific reasons I'm still holding on. I'd no doubt be excited to hear any other CD II tracks, but in all honesty I don't care if there's ever a "brand new" GNR track, as I don't like Slash's recent work and am not really interested in whatever the corporate jukebox that used to be Axl Rose has to say lyrically, so the fact that they seem to be creatively bankrupt doesn't bother me. If an eventual album was all new songs instead of reworked CD II I'd be too pissed off/disinterested to even listen to it. I became a fan because of CD and am just here to ride this saga out. Even if Axl retired tomorrow I still wouldn't "let go" as I'd still be waiting for the other tracks to leak/released as a boxset.

There won't be a CD boxset ever. What's the point of making a boxset of an unsuccessful album? People didn't bother to buy it for 99 cent at Best Buy.

Maybe when Axl dies someday and there's nothing left for TB to milk the cow...

Having said that, GNR are still one of my favorite bands, no other band has ever interested me in the same way. I still love their music, why should I let them go?

Hope for a new record or new music is on a very low level by this point but I still love their classic stuff. 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Every time I see these "am I gonna finally give up?" threads/posts, I remember those years of 2003-2005 and feel slightly amused. I mean, at least there still was a show this year. Gigs, remasters, and leaks in the previous years. Do you know what happened publicly during those three years I've mentioned? Fuck all, that's what. This is nothing, especially taking the Covid thing into account. See the bigger picture.  :sleeper:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I'm here because I love the music and the band, I'm still interested in all the tidbits regardless if they're new or old. Generally speaking I've "let go" some time ago. I don't care if they never do anything again but at the same time I'll be thrilled if they actually manage to do anything of interest.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1