Time to let go?

8 hours ago, W. Axl Kev said:

My question pertains to whether we need to accept that we've seen the best of this band and perhaps its time we manage our own expectations?

I haven't had any expectations since I read in a magazine in 1996 that Slash quit the band. Back then I figured it was over. Everything since then has already been more than I ever expected. Of course I hope for a new record now that Slash and Duff are back, but if it doesn't happen, so be it. No point in obsessing and getting disappointed like apparently so many people do who express their frustration on this forum on a daily basis. It's just a band.

If you're a fan of the Village leaks and need more, just start listening to more Buckethead albums.  :bucket:

as for GNR, we'll see what they bring to the table when the band emerges again.  or calls a hiatus.
I'll always be a fan, and knowing they have music in the tank (obviously all Axl's, with the new SMKC album announcement) gives me some hope it'll one day all see the light.

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The village leaks still feel fresh and new to me! And it seems pretty much inevitable that we will hear further leaks. Ill take CD2 with out Slash replacing BH, please and thank you.

The reunion show I saw was the first time me and my best friend were together after moving to different places. So it kinda served as a catalyst for this era of our friendship. We'd been planning to go see Roger Waters. Its kinda how we structure our time together. So I still have the warm and fuzzies about the reunion.

I joined the forum to watch the reunions shows here. And then I was like "wait, theres a thread about pizza??!!" and the rest is history. lol. And even though I say edgy shit like "Detroit pizza sucks" I still havent been ratioed! Good people come here. Its a fun hang.

• Like 4

since 2011 it's been mostly a shit show, with the odd exception. NITL was a complete anti-climax. Am I going to let go of being a fan of the band? no... but where the rank in importance in 2020 is remarkably different to where it was 10 years ago, I enjoy the records they released up to 2008... but I can barely get through those shit selects, I don't really enjoy listening to the current band... I'm open to having my mind changed so I check out whatever happens but it really isn't looking likely that I'll ever be as into GNR as I was... It's like the 'watching how the sausage is made' thing. Knowing how much the band and management despise this type of community of interested fans really sucked the fun out of things, and then all the Youtube stuff... 

They have mishandled their loyal hardcore fanbase for years and I think there's a lot of stuff that even a new record can recover. 

Not giving up, but my interest levels are at an all time low.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

There won't be a CD boxset ever. What's the point of making a boxset of an unsuccessful album? People didn't bother to buy it for 99 cent at Best Buy.

Maybe when Axl dies someday and there's nothing left for TB to milk the cow...

Having said that, GNR are still one of my favorite bands, no other band has ever interested me in the same way. I still love their music, why should I let them go?

Hope for a new record or new music is on a very low level by this point but I still love their classic stuff. 

There should definitely be a CD deluxe set (and reckon there should be if AFD and UYI are getting the treatments). It does surprise me on here and on Discord how much love there is for CD and the players involved - not to mention how many other folk out there like it.

If there was a special run of boxes at a profitable price then there shouldn’t be an issue....just don’t make a million of them and charge $1000.

Something like the following in a simple box (choice of cover would be sweet):-

CD (eh CD)

CD (5.1 Mix)

CD (VINYL)

Alt Mixes etc

Unreleased Tracks

Live Vinyl

Live CD

Blu Ray Concert

£250-£300 and I’m there. A run of say 10k initially or something.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I pose a question to the forum: is it time to let go?

Disclaimer: I absolutely anticipate this will be merged or swept into another topic because it doesn't contain a new piece of info but this part of the forum is called "Discussion & News"

I joined this forum in 2005 at the same time as @Axl_morris because we were obsessed with the mythology of GN'R; who Axl was, where he's been and what comes next with this amazing rock band. 15 years later, I've seen them 8 times (on both sides of the Atlantic), I've arrived at a record store for opening for Chinese Democracy, I've flown my girlfriend to North Carolina to see them, I've bought merchandise, I got some lyrics from Locomotive tattooed on my ribs (9 years ago when I was younger, in my defense) and I've been here for every leak, rumor, new photograph, fake photographs and my all time favorite moment; when a forum member claimed he was hiding under a desk at Geffen Records secretly recording 'IRS' which resulted in a forum member driving for 6 hours to buy the recording, only for it to all be a scam. Hilarious.

Those of us still here wish our lives away over more new music, leaks (Cock-a-roach soup, anyone?), more tours, raspier voice, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum, Izzy Stradlin and, Lord save me, Robin Finck.

Few fans of few bands have ever had so much fun chasing the pursuit of happiness with a group. I'd argue bands who have more albums (Metallica, Aerosmith etc) have burned out rather than stood out. We follow a group who have confused us, frustrated us, let us down, "wowed" us but ultimately always left us wanting more. Maybe that's good enough? Maybe we reflect on how great this has all been rather than all living as if a new album and tour will come out next month and we'll continue this journey from 1995.

Again, I expect this to be swept into another thread but this isn't a "general musing", it's a topic for debate (which is what forums are all about, right?).

Is it time to let this go? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Kev

It's over for us Kev. As you have, As I have, we have given so much, but I think the ride is over. The band now is a sham. Between 96-2010 it was an exciting sham, there was still hope. Now, we've lived it. Time to let go. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I think next year is gonna be crucial. 

No, its not. Every year could be said as "crucial", its just moving goal posts. 

2010- They have to tour Chinese first, next year is crucial 

2011- They have to tour the United States and get through the Hall of Fame, next year is crucial 

2012- Okay, Chinese touring is done, next year is crucial 

2013/2014- Nothing going on but touring, it is crucial they put something out soon

2016- They have to test the waters and see if they get along again, next year is crucial

2017- Well, NITL is huge so they have to finish this up, next year is crucial

2018/2019- They are just touring, maybe after this leg, and then after the next leg, then they aren't touring maybe so its crucial they put something out

2020- There is a pandemic, next year is crucial

It sucks, and you shouldn't be wrong. They SHOULD put out an album especially with all this forced time off, but Axl just can't be bothered for whatever reason. Maybe one will happen, maybe it won't but imo there is no rhyme or reason as to when it would happen if it even does

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

this band really isn't aimed at the hardcore fan. rather, it is a greatest hits band known for november rain and sweet child of mine. those songs gather some views on youtube, yes.

as a hard rock band, it even wasn't that remarkable to begin with. most of their songs don't have a nice "flow" to them. I guess "nightrain" is cool. "it's so easy" too. but I wouldn't class GNR as an enjoyable rock band.

Other than it's so easy / nightrain, what do they have to open a show? other acts, like AC/DC, motley crue, aerosmith, the stones, judas priest, motorhead, had a WEALTH of great songs to open a concert and get things going. But what does GNR have? I don't see any song on the illusions to get the party going. even right next door to hell, arguably the best song on the UYI's, isn't comparable to something like "rock n roll train" by AC/DC.

the problem with GNR, is Axl's perfectionism and need to overcomplicate songs. With overcomplication, comes a lack of flow. As evidenced by all the songs on "chinese democracy": litterally not 1 great rocking song on that album.

I have no guns n roses songs on my playlist. they feel out of place, they bring the fun and the temp down, they feel like someone threw a can of nails on the road during a cycling event. 

Edited by action
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, action said:

this band really isn't aimed at the hardcore fan. rather, it is a greatest hits band known for november rain and sweet child of mine. those songs gather some views on youtube, yes.

as a hard rock band, it even wasn't that remarkable to begin with. most of their songs don't have a nice "flow" to them. I guess "nightrain" is cool. "it's so easy" too. but I wouldn't class GNR as an enjoyable rock band.

Other than it's so easy / nightrain, what do they have to open a show? other acts, like AC/DC, motley crue, aerosmith, the stones, motorhead, had a WEALTH of great songs to open a concert and get things going. But what does GNR have? I don't see any song on the illusions to get the party going. even right next door to hell, arguably the best song on the UYI's, isn't comparable to something like "rock n roll train" by AC/DC.

the problem with GNR, is Axl's perfectionism and need to overcomplicate songs. With overcomplication, comes a lack of flow. As evidenced by all the songs on "chinese democracy": litterally not 1 great rocking song on that album.

I have no guns n roses songs on my playlist. they feel out of place, they bring the fun and the temp down, they feel like someone threw a can of nails on the road during a cycling event. 

Just wondering what you are doing here when there is nothing you like about GnR, seems rather strangee.  Anyway I think what you are saying is a load of crap...'doesnt flow'...out of place'...nothing to open the show with and the rest.  What planet have you been living on and most bizarley what are you doing here?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Just wondering what you are doing here when there is nothing you like about GnR, seems rather strangee.  Anyway I think what you are saying is a load of crap...'doesnt flow'...out of place'...nothing to open the show with and the rest.  What planet have you been living on and most bizarley what are you doing here?

He didn't even mention the best show opener in the world 'welcome to the jungle' :lol: although rock n roll train is a banger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, action said:

Other than it's so easy / nightrain, what do they have to open a show? other acts, like AC/DC, motley crue, aerosmith, the stones, judas priest, motorhead, had a WEALTH of great songs to open a concert and get things going. But what does GNR have? I don't see any song on the illusions to get the party going. even right next door to hell, arguably the best song on the UYI's, isn't comparable to something like "rock n roll train" by AC/DC.

Rarely read so much bullshit in one post :lol:

• Like 2

I watched the Tale of Two Cities Selects a bunch since its release. :shrugs:Now granted, thats largely because theres lots of Mel and she is f'n smoking. I watch all the way to the end of NR where Mel really shines and then I quickly throw off my headphones before that ear drum destroying gun shot goes off! lol

I watched it enough that I learned the new lyrics Duff sang in New Roses' bridge section that night:

"Never thought disco happening, in a strangers washing machine. Yeah, never thought disco make it rain.."

Edited by soon

1 hour ago, action said:

'I wouldn't class GNR as an enjoyable rock band.....it wasn't  that remarkable to start with' 

Yet you have 4,600 posts on a GNR forum. 

I think it might be time to reassess how you spend your time, and look at doing something else. 

Edited by allwaystired

4 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

There should definitely be a CD deluxe set (and reckon there should be if AFD and UYI are getting the treatments). It does surprise me on here and on Discord how much love there is for CD and the players involved - not to mention how many other folk out there like it.

If there was a special run of boxes at a profitable price then there shouldn’t be an issue....just don’t make a million of them and charge $1000.

Something like the following in a simple box (choice of cover would be sweet):-

CD (eh CD)

CD (5.1 Mix)

CD (VINYL)

Alt Mixes etc

Unreleased Tracks

Live Vinyl

Live CD

Blu Ray Concert

£250-£300 and I’m there. A run of say 10k initially or something.

10k initially? Maybe 1-2k max!! I LOVE CD! but I'm also a realist! While it has its fans, there is no way there's that much of a market. It's incredibly niche and not worth the cost involved. I would love to hear all that stuff, but the majority of ghr fans are the people gnr management focus on, not the 1-2000 people that might go out and buy a deluxe extended Chinese democracy boxset. Big gambal for them. 

AFD and UYI  were widely accepted records, and include the bands most famous songs that's why they get such grand treatment CD is beloved by some but the majority have decided it's not for them.

• Like 1

I’ve kind of given up. I love seeing the band live, and have under multiple iterations since Hammerstein in 2006. So I’ll probably always go check out a live show, but as far as obsessively reading old articles and reading the forums daily, not so much. And unlike a lot of today’s hardcore fans, I realized I couldn’t care less about a new record.