Jump to content

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, papashaun said:

In reality, GnR is not the only band to have "semi-reunited" and have yet to release any new material....Look at System of a Down. There have been several interviews with members and rumors of the band working on new material that has never materialized. Seems like every year they keep making excuses as to why the band can't get on the same page, while in the mean time having only played live shows sparingly. 

Don't know if anyone has seen SOAD's latest excuse for failing to produce material, but front man Serj Tankian is "frustrated" at drummer and brother-in-law, John Dolmayan, for his "American Political" views, for basically criticizing Democrats of late and praising Trump. (As if the band didn't need another excuse to put off working together.)

Also, don't forget Rage Against The Machine. This band has teased re-uniting, how many times now?? And if not for COVID-19, were going to charge ticket prices for their "reunion" shows, that made GnR's ticket prices look like a Wendy's Value Meal in comparison. Seems like that band only "re-unites" when a band member needs extra cash, and some how, just happens to be during an American Election year each time....(2008-Reunion Live Shows, No Album) (2016-Tom Morello forms "Prophets of Rage.")  

I know it would be nice to hear new GnR material, but in reality, I don't have high expectations.  I think it is due to both the age of the band members at this point, and don't forget, the 2 best song writers in the band's history are not available (West Arkeen, Izzy Stradlin).  My best hope if for some sort of behind the scenes or new documentary from all the footage taken, during the Use Your Illusion tours.

I agreed with everything you said until you mentioned that Arkeen was one of the best songwriters in the band's history. I mean, he co-wrote a handful of songs.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I pose a question to the forum: is it time to let go? Disclaimer: I absolutely anticipate this will be merged or swept into another topic because it doesn't contain a new piece of info but this p

Yeah I just post here out of habit too now. I really don’t give a fuck about GnR anymore, at this point.

So nobody ever told us baby How it was gonna be So what'll happen to us baby Guess we'll have to wait and see

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I agreed with everything you said until you mentioned that Arkeen was one of the best songwriters in the band's history. I mean, he co-wrote a handful of songs.

He helped write It's So Easy, The Garden, Yesterdays, Bad Obsession, "Crash Diet" (Which I wish GnR had formally recorded, instead of Asphalt Ballet), Helped develop guitar parts on Don't Cry, and aided in helping develop songs for recording on the Use Your Illusion albums....That's pretty good contribution over all.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, papashaun said:

He helped write It's So Easy, The Garden, Yesterdays, Bad Obsession, "Crash Diet" (Which I wish GnR had formally recorded, instead of Asphalt Ballet), Helped develop guitar parts on Don't Cry, and aided in helping develop songs for recording on the Use Your Illusion albums....That's pretty good contribution over all.  

I don't disagree (although Duff claims that the only reason Arkeen got a song credit for It's So Easy is because he showed Duff an alternate guitar tuning), but saying he's one of the best songwriters in the band's history because he helped write a couple of songs, is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I don't disagree (although Duff claims that the only reason Arkeen got a song credit for It's So Easy is because he showed Duff an alternate guitar tuning), but saying he's one of the best songwriters in the band's history because he helped write a couple of songs, is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I guess I should say then...He was a big influence on the band's direction for material. Seemed like he could help "guide" them a bit when putting songs together...I think that's a influence the band has lacked, no matter the members, since The Spaghetti Incident. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, papashaun said:

I guess I should say then...He was a big influence on the band's direction for material. Seemed like he could help "guide" them a bit when putting songs together...I think that's a influence the band has lacked, no matter the members, since The Spaghetti Incident. 

I don't know about that, I don't know how much he really contributed and whether he ''guided'' them a lot or not. Not to take anything away from him, but I can't imagine AFD or UYI to sound very different without him. When I think about the best songwriters in the band I think of Izzy, Axl and Slash, with Duff coming right after them.

Edited by EvanG
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I agreed with everything you said until you mentioned that Arkeen was one of the best songwriters in the band's history. I mean, he co-wrote a handful of songs.

I remember a 2006 Trunk radio interview where Baz asked Axl how West Arkeen was doing. Axl responded: "He's not." and something like "He's no longer with us." because he passed away years prior. Awkward moment!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

I remember a 2006 Trunk radio interview where Baz asked Axl how West Arkeen was doing. Axl responded: "He's not." and something like "He's no longer with us." because he passed away years prior. Awkward moment!

Ooft 😂 - mega awkward 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DTJ80 said:

Ooft 😂 - mega awkward 

It's a long, but an overall great interview.  Axl said they had about 2.5 albums worth of material, but CD itself would be one album, implying follow-ups planned. He said they were working on material that night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It's a long, but an overall great interview.  Axl said they had about 2.5 albums worth of material, but CD itself would be one album, implying follow-ups planned. He said they were working on material that night.

That interview was one of the most WTF moments - in a positive way! - of the whole decade regarding GNR. Nothing for years and then this! And so smoohtly - Baz just asked and it happened just like that. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't expect new music from these guys anymore. If it happens, great, I'll be there with bells on, but I don't personally believe it's going to. 

The nostalgia tours bore the tits off me though. I have no desire to ever see them live again if it's just more AFD +Nov Rain/YCBM/KOHD/LALD touring. I know plenty of people still do go to these shows, and for the life of me I can't fathom why. As Prince once said in lyrics: "heavy rotation never made my world go round / commercialisation of the music is what brought it down."

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

In fairness - I did pluck that number out of thin air - and caveated it with ‘or something’....😂. I’d hope UMG would put in a bit more market research than that!

But I still think there is a market....I recently got Rush’s Hemispheres Super Deluxe which contains similar to what I’d want for a CD one and you can bet that Hemispheres sold a fraction of what CD did.

Record Companies aren’t slow in repackaging stuff so you have to hope CD will get some treatment at some point (maybe even after the band calls it a day)?

Hemispheres is a different kettle of fish because Rush treated their fans great, and the fans are diehard. Hemispheres isn't the most popular Rush record but it was definitely received better by the fans.

I get what you're saying I just don't see the market being big enough to allow for it. I would spend 3-500 on a boxset with the complete recordings of the cd era happily, but I know nobody else that would even consider it... outside of this forum😄

Also, I would hope they do some further research on the numbers too... 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 12:45 AM, jamillos said:

... and pro-shot bootlegs, it's all about the bootlegs. 

Such a huge treasure trove of of proshot stuff wasting away in the vaults. I hope it all releases one day. At least a really bad ass blu-ray set of their best shows, with lots of backstage extras, etc. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 7:14 AM, EvanG said:

I don't disagree (although Duff claims that the only reason Arkeen got a song credit for It's So Easy is because he showed Duff an alternate guitar tuning), but saying he's one of the best songwriters in the band's history because he helped write a couple of songs, is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I've heard crazier, like hearing Paul Tobias is one of the band's greatest songwriters when he was being carried by Axl the whole way.  :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NTONIUS said:

I think it was 98 or 99, there was a Dave GNR site or something.  An English dude who had a site similar like this.  GNR had been my favourite band since I was a baby since I was brainwashed thankfully by my uncle who was 10yrs older than me and my cousins.

I can't believe it, but I lost track of exact years, I remember around 99 or 00, he closed up the site and I msgd or emailed him about why and I think he mentioned mygnr.  

I got on here, not much of a forum guy, I like face to face communication because it takes more balls to talk face to face then over a keyboard, hence my minimal posts. However I have been on here since around that 00s mark or something. 

I read through all archives from 95 or 96 to 00 and had a blast, I was about 15, Saturday afternoon combing every GNR detail on here. When I caught up I was like wtf, whats happening now?  So jumped in the forum, I had barely signed in, more just enjoyed reading updates, news and other fans perspectives.

I remember as HOB 00' went down and searching morpheus, kazaa and limewire for recordings. I remember finding CD, the Blues(sod), i fuckn loved that version of rhiad, gave me old Axl vibes. Then Rio came with the videos of CD, silkworms, madagascar, and others. 

 

I remember every detail of the whole approach to CD release. I was the only person who went to HMV (music store chain in Toronto), to grab a copy, got the collector box set that Christmas with the black T with red GNR written logo etc.

Fast forward.  2016 I though ok this is their chance, if 2017 goes by they fucked up. Well lol.  By this time, as we all saw, Axl was by far the weakest link to what we all saw for decades as a formidable vocal machine minus a fee blips.   It hurt.  Fuck I remember I believe 2010? When he had the rasp right from Hell! That is the best I ever saw. In my opinion probably best overall in his career, but hard to compare to his raw 88-93 evolution.

Anyway, by 2019 came and went, I came to a realization that for myself, I had realized what ever they came up with, if anything, wouldn't be the World Conquering and resurrection of Rock I once believed.

 

I still love Guns to death. Still listen to them daily along with a monstrous variety of other bands and genres.  

I enjoy reading the views of you all. And look forward to popping on her an reminiscing, or being the only bastards n bitches who care to scavenge the leaks and demos scattered over the net!

 

GNFNR.

 

Great post and I agree with everything you say. As for the OP, not sure it’s a time to let go more a time to accept it is what it is. The bands all about securing these guys pensions funds now. They do the shows because it’s most like a load of fun for them whilst they earn a shit load of cash. Axl isn’t interested in recording new music anymore in my view. In his mind he was burnt very badly by the execs during the release of CD and why the fuck should he risk going through that again. I just hope we wake up one morning and a shot load of stuff has leaked online, a bit like last year but more substantial in terms of completed demos with Axl vox. Cause I’m sure as shit that music ain’t ever gonna see an official release

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2020 at 11:53 PM, Gackt said:

I've heard crazier, like hearing Paul Tobias is one of the band's greatest songwriters when he was being carried by Axl the whole way.  :P

I was a newbie fan in 2018 and hated Tobias for being a reason why the remains of the band broke up. Then I realized that he was actually a tool w/ whom Axl manipulated the others. Still, he was a decent co-writer

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, action said:

this band really isn't aimed at the hardcore fan. rather, it is a greatest hits band known for november rain and sweet child of mine. those songs gather some views on youtube, yes.

as a hard rock band, it even wasn't that remarkable to begin with. most of their songs don't have a nice "flow" to them. I guess "nightrain" is cool. "it's so easy" too. but I wouldn't class GNR as an enjoyable rock band.

Other than it's so easy / nightrain, what do they have to open a show? other acts, like AC/DC, motley crue, aerosmith, the stones, judas priest, motorhead, had a WEALTH of great songs to open a concert and get things going. But what does GNR have? I don't see any song on the illusions to get the party going. even right next door to hell, arguably the best song on the UYI's, isn't comparable to something like "rock n roll train" by AC/DC.

the problem with GNR, is Axl's perfectionism and need to overcomplicate songs. With overcomplication, comes a lack of flow. As evidenced by all the songs on "chinese democracy": litterally not 1 great rocking song on that album.

I have no guns n roses songs on my playlist. they feel out of place, they bring the fun and the temp down, they feel like someone threw a can of nails on the road during a cycling event. 

I've always made a point of giving as much due respect (as possible) to my fellow members of this forum. What this is, is one of the most nonsensical pieces of texts I've ever read on this forum.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, IndiannaRose said:

If you really want to let go, just let go. I've been here since 2003, and I checked out a long time ago. However, Guns N' Roses were an integral part of my upbringing, and I will never forget that. They are a legendary band, and their music will live on indefinitely. They're much older now, and there has been a lot of wasted potential. In other ways, I have also been duly impressed (Axl's run with AC/DC deserves such mention). It is what is.

I've always valued your point of view. When I saw Axl with AC/DC at MSG in 2016 I walked out the show wondering Axl was in the wrong band all along. He was earth shattering that night and I've never - before or again - heard a more powerful, wonderful live vocal performance in my life.

That said, your point regarding "wasted potential" is truer than anything I can think of. GN'R lost so much opportunity for Axl & Slash's song writing ability in the mid-to-late-90's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 6:45 AM, jamillos said:

That interview was one of the most WTF moments - in a positive way! - of the whole decade regarding GNR. Nothing for years and then this! And so smoohtly - Baz just asked and it happened just like that. 

The best part was the W.A.S.P. caviar story. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been here since  forever, but i think it was the early 2000s (my profile says 2005 but there was a drop where some of us had to sign up again).
Anyway, the point is that with this (blessed and cursed) band you never know what's going to happen.
Maybe tomorrow Axl wakes up wanting to lose weight (he did it before) and record new music (he did it before) and maybe turn the musical style into something that motivates him right now. Maybe we have seen everything.
I was in that last show on July 17, 1993 in Buenos Aires. I never thought it would be the last time I would see that band (the lineup) live. But it was epic, especially considering that I was alone with my soul and my 16 years in a stadium with 60,000 strangers. It was crazy, beautiful crazy. Time passed and I got excited with "Oh My God", Rock In Rio III and even the failed 2002 tour. I got excited with Robin Finck being part of my two favorite bands (NIN is the other one), and I cursed Ashba even in dreams.

The Reunion came and I went through a slide with my videos and channels denounced by the band itself, when I just wanted to show love and respect for those old rockers and have fun.
I got mad, I left, and here I am, holding a hope that, perhaps, if a cricket sings in the right tone in the redhead's yard we will have news.

Who knows, stranger things have happened.

Edited by fernomenoyde
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was late for this thread and nobody cares about my story because it m ight not be cool as other people's but here I go
I discovered gnr when I was a kid beacuse I was playing videogames on my dad's laptop and I was searching some music or whatever. Then it started to play "Rocket Queen", I fell in love with that song but the moanings were awful hahaha. After that, I searched on youtube "Rocket queen", "Appetite for destruction", "Guns n Roses"...I was a kid so I didnt even know what was an album. I liked some songs an thats's it.
Some years later when I was a teenager I started listening to more songs from gnr on spotify or youtube and I liked it so much that at a certain point I ended up listening to all of their songs and that was my beginning as a gnr fan. After that, I looked for many bootlegs, full concerts, objects related to gnr and I was totally in loved with this band. They came to my country on 2016 and I only got  a ticket for the worst zone but I enjoyed every second of my first gnr concert. I will remember that concert forever.  Then they were suposed to come back this year and I have nobody to go with but I didnt care so I bought a ticket in a good place but then Corona appeared...
I started visiting this forum when the leaks started 1 year ago and there was a time that I used to visit this site everyday and follow the streamings of the concerts.Nowadays I have "discovered" and listen to other bands that I really like so much like oasis, acdc, radiohead but I'm 100% that there will never be a band that I like as much as guns n roses. I mean,I dont listen to their songs as much as I used to do it, but this band has a place in my heart and I will always remember the awesome moments that they have given me.
Greetings from Peru! 🇵🇪

Edited by Marcelo Garay
Grammar and spelling
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marcelo Garay said:

I was late for this thread and nobody cares about my story because it m ight not be cool as other people's but here I go
I discovered gnr when I was a kid beacuse I was playing videogames on my dad's laptop and I was searching some music or whatever. Then it started to play "Rocket Queen", I fell in love with that song but the moanings were awful hahaha. After that, I searched on youtube "Rocket queen", "Appetite for destruction", "Guns n Roses"...I was a kid so I didnt even know what was an album. I liked some songs an thats's it.
Some years later when I was a teenager I started listening to more songs from gnr on spotify or youtube and I liked it so much that at a certain point I ended up listening to all of their songs and that was my beginning as a gnr fan. After that, I looked for many bootlegs, full concerts, objects related to gnr and I was totally in loved with this band. They came to my country on 2016 and I only got  a ticket for the worst zone but I enjoyed every second of my first gnr concert. I will remember that concert forever.  Then they were suposed to come back this year and I have nobody to go with but I didnt care so I bought a ticket in a good place but then Corona appeared...
I started visiting this forum when the leaks started 1 year ago and there was a time that I used to visit this site everyday and follow the streamings of the concerts.Nowadays I have "discovered" and listen to other bands that I really like so much like oasis, acdc, radiohead but I'm 100% that there will never be a band that I like as much as guns n roses. I mean,I dont listen to their songs as much as I used to do it, but this band has a place in my heart and I will always remember the awesome moments that they have given me.
Greetings from Peru! 🇵🇪

Great post buddy, I empathise with a lot of what you say. GN’R for me will always have a special place in my heart because they were the band I became fixated with in my teens. It’s such a shame that we are reduced to a band that is creatively defunct who seem intent only on shows but the performances just aren’t on the scale that they once were. I sometimes fear for the band’s legacy if its final years are to be just the continuance of such shows without any new creative output I really do, notwithstanding the excellent albums that were released in their heyday 

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...