Jump to content

New Smkc album slated for 2021, delay for GNR album ?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Starts with A. Ends with xl.

People like Axl have not been up to date on how anything regarding media or fan interaction works. He's still living in the 90s on a business standpoint and how people are consuming music in these day

CD as a whole is a better (no pun intended) album than the Use Your Fillers double album that should have been one.

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Thing is - Slash won’t get involved in a slanging match (not his style) so we won’t ever know for sure. My thoughts are it’s either a case of Slash trying to appease Matt during said conversation or it’s just been totally embellished. Slash has always wanted back in to GNR so I think it’s more than a gig to him.

Slash quit Axl's GnR, so I disagree that he has "always" wanted back in the band. He is all about making money, which he has every right to be. Funny thing is, I don't recall seeing anything about a reunion until after he and his ex-wife had spilt. :shrugs:

-He wanted a star lead singer for VR instead of Izzy's hope for he and Duff to share lead vocals.: cost them Izzy.

-He wanted a bigger piece of the pie for NITL: reportedly took more from Duff's partnership share; probably didn't back up Izzy's attempt to get his old % back.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Slash quit Axl's GnR, so I disagree that he has "always" wanted back in the band. He is all about making money, which he has every right to be. Funny thing is, I don't recall seeing anything about a reunion until after he and his ex-wife had spilt. :shrugs:

-He wanted a star lead singer for VR instead of Izzy's hope for he and Duff to share lead vocals.: cost them Izzy.

-He wanted a bigger piece of the pie for NITL: reportedly took more from Duff's partnership share; probably didn't back up Izzy's attempt to get his old % back.

TBF - my ‘always wanted back’ was based on opinion of comments and rumours throughout the years but mainly that meeting where he rocked up to Axls house in mid-2000s.

Yeah - suggestions were that Axl didn’t like Perla or something so the fact that as soon as she was away the reunion happened....but I suppose the money angle comes in here too.

Who knows 😂.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Blackstar I do agree that he wanted back in after VR fell apart WAY more than he let on in your quote above. IMO, VR was Slash, Duff and Matt's way of proving that they could be huge without Axl. Once it was over, his craving to be a huge star needed to be satiated and GnR have a built in following. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think that, with the exception of the first three years of the Project/Velvet Revolver, Slash did always want back to GnR. And they were always offered money to reunite.

In 2005 he made that mystery drunken visit to Axl's house and apologized for what he had said in the press when he was promoting VR (he didn't say if he wrote it in the note he left for Axl or if he told Beta). There was a lot of smoke about a reunion in early 2006, and most likely there was fire, too.

Slash wouldn't do it unconditionally, of course. At first, his main condition - based on his public comments, at least - was the reunion of the original lineup or at least of the 4/5. Then, by 2008 it became a "decent" lineup (so maybe 3/5 - the "main three" of the UYI era - would do?) and that Axl wouldn't be late:

Q: Axl and co appear to have signed with your ex-management team, Irving Azoff and Andy Gould.

Slash: I heard it was pending, but I didn't know it had actually happened. Might it increase the chances of us working together?  Well, they're our ex-management  company, so no (laughs). I don't think a Guns reunion is on the cards. That seems to be everybody else in this world's concern, but it's not mine. We've been offered millions of dollars to tour this whole time, but it's never been about money. (Brightens and changes tack) You know Duff and I were joking around the other day that we should do a Guns N'Roses/Stone Temple Pilots co-headliner. If it happens, it was my fucking idea, OK?  It would be great for the fans, I think. There's a whole legion of kids out there that were too young to see us first time around.

Q: And as a huge fan of certain disbanded acts yourself, you'll know how that feels. Did you ever see Led Zeppelin?

Slash: I didn't. Not even the reunion show, which pissed me off. So yeah, I can relate to that. And I would like those kids to see a decent version of Guns. If it was the original line-up it could be great. But I won't do it if it's going to be Axl and his merry men going on-stage three hours late. Straighten that one out and then call me. No cancelled dates. No sitting in one airport in one city when you're supposed to be on-stage in another.

Q: No kilts?

Slash: (Laughing) No, the kilt can stay. I always liked the kilt. I wasn’t so sure about the white leather ensemble...

[Mojo, June 2008]

How the hell did Slash miss out on a ticket to the Zep gig...😂

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the strong feeling there would have been a new Guns N' Roses record this year, had COVID not happened. And to be honest, those who have released new albums this year haven't seen much in the way of sales.

Take Katy Perry, for example. Her newest record fell out of the Billboard top 200 after two weeks. Granted, she sucks and in no way should be mentioned in the same breath as Guns N' Roses, but at one time she could move albums. Another example is Bon Jovi, whose most recent album '2020' debuted at number 19, but fell to number 145 in just it's second week. I don't expect the upcoming AC/DC record to do much better, especially where the first single is so fucking weak.

Sure, it annoys the hell out of the fans, but for once, Team Brazil was probably wise in not releasing a new album this year. Hopefully COVID becomes a thing of the past in 2021, and the band can forge ahead with the tour plans that were in place for this year, hopefully in advance of new music.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I got the strong feeling there would have been a new Guns N' Roses record this year, had COVID not happened. And to be honest, those who have released new albums this year haven't seen much in the way of sales.

Take Katy Perry, for example. Her newest record fell out of the Billboard top 200 after two weeks. Granted, she sucks and in no way should be mentioned in the same breath as Guns N' Roses, but at one time she could move albums. Another example is Bon Jovi, whose most recent album '2020' debuted at number 19, but fell to number 145 in just it's second week. I don't expect the upcoming AC/DC record to do much better, especially where the first single is so fucking weak.

Sure, it annoys the hell out of the fans, but for once, Team Brazil was probably wise in not releasing a new album this year. Hopefully COVID becomes a thing of the past in 2021, and the band can forge ahead with the tour plans that were in place for this year, hopefully in advance of new music.

Well that's not only true in some ways. You've selected a few there that probably didn't sell as expected (and that's probably simply because people didn't like them that much- as you say with ACDCs single being weak) but there are loads that have. 

How about Taylor Swift who's album sold one and a half million copies in three weeks in the US alone? BTS who have sold an absurd amount of albums worldwide? Eminem, Justin Bieber, The Weeknd, etc have all sold very well. 

Not that I think for one second that an album was ever going to be released this year of course, as shown by the fact that they announced and promoted a tour featuring zero branding or mention of a new album that they were allegedly going to be promoting. And played the same setlist as previous tours at the one show they did manage to play. 

Edited by allwaystired
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I think that, with the exception of the first three years of the Project/Velvet Revolver, Slash did always want back to GnR. And they were always offered money to reunite.

In 2005 he made that mystery drunken visit to Axl's house and apologized for what he had said in the press when he was promoting VR (he didn't say if he wrote it in the note he left for Axl or if he told Beta). There was a lot of smoke about a reunion in early 2006, and most likely there was fire, too.

Slash wouldn't do it unconditionally, of course. At first, his main condition - based on his public comments, at least - was the reunion of the original lineup or at least of the 4/5. Then, by 2008 it became a "decent" lineup (so maybe 3/5 - the "main three" of the UYI era - would do?) and that Axl wouldn't be late:

Q: Axl and co appear to have signed with your ex-management team, Irving Azoff and Andy Gould.

Slash: I heard it was pending, but I didn't know it had actually happened. Might it increase the chances of us working together?  Well, they're our ex-management  company, so no (laughs). I don't think a Guns reunion is on the cards. That seems to be everybody else in this world's concern, but it's not mine. We've been offered millions of dollars to tour this whole time, but it's never been about money. (Brightens and changes tack) You know Duff and I were joking around the other day that we should do a Guns N'Roses/Stone Temple Pilots co-headliner. If it happens, it was my fucking idea, OK?  It would be great for the fans, I think. There's a whole legion of kids out there that were too young to see us first time around.

Q: And as a huge fan of certain disbanded acts yourself, you'll know how that feels. Did you ever see Led Zeppelin?

Slash: I didn't. Not even the reunion show, which pissed me off. So yeah, I can relate to that. And I would like those kids to see a decent version of Guns. If it was the original line-up it could be great. But I won't do it if it's going to be Axl and his merry men going on-stage three hours late. Straighten that one out and then call me. No cancelled dates. No sitting in one airport in one city when you're supposed to be on-stage in another.

Q: No kilts?

Slash: (Laughing) No, the kilt can stay. I always liked the kilt. I wasn’t so sure about the white leather ensemble...

[Mojo, June 2008]

Interesting and funny interview.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soon said:

I guess Myles could be comfortable with having Slash and Kerns be the primary songwriters for this album, including lyrics? Maybe even some Kerns lead vocals here and there?

I like Kerns old tunes. Ugly gets stuck in my head a lot.

And yeah, true they might not intend to tour it.

They'll definitely do a tour when the next SMKC album is released.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dangelus said:

According to Mark Tremonti, Alter Bridge will be back out touring as soon as COVID is over. As well as Myles’s solo album coming out in 2021 too I’m not sure how he’ll have time for Slash assuming they intend to tour on the back of a new release. http://www.niwyiben.com/interviews/interview-with-mark-tremonti-of-alter-bridge-sept-2020/?fbclid=IwAR3dvbNwIOInDocToIO5irUlsIh1sMQDyKQSmTTrJ0Sj0YlOZvDKBOGs3P8

Isn't it sad that we are forced to piece together Guns N' Roses information based on what other bands are doing? Like watching Alter Bridge, Conspirators future projects and announcements? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Slash quit Axl's GnR, so I disagree that he has "always" wanted back in the band. He is all about making money, which he has every right to be. Funny thing is, I don't recall seeing anything about a reunion until after he and his ex-wife had spilt. :shrugs:

-He wanted a star lead singer for VR instead of Izzy's hope for he and Duff to share lead vocals.: cost them Izzy.

-He wanted a bigger piece of the pie for NITL: reportedly took more from Duff's partnership share; probably didn't back up Izzy's attempt to get his old % back.

That’s pure speculation. Nobody’s know what the split on cash is with NITL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Do we know for sure he said that?

No, we don't. 

11 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

According to Matt's book yes.

Therefore no...

11 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Out of context? Matt was crystal clear with what he said. And if it’s not true, Slash is free to dispute Matt’s take. 

From ehat I've heard there were many strange things written. Do we have to believe in everything he writes?

9 hours ago, soon said:

I guess Myles could be comfortable with having Slash and Kerns be the primary songwriters for this album, including lyrics? Maybe even some Kerns lead vocals here and there?

I like Kerns old tunes. Ugly gets stuck in my head a lot.

And yeah, true they might not intend to tour it.

There's no evidence that they've changed their usual process of making a record. When they're ready Slash will send the music to Myles so that he can write the vocals...

7 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Slash quit Axl's GnR, so I disagree that he has "always" wanted back in the band. He is all about making money, which he has every right to be. Funny thing is, I don't recall seeing anything about a reunion until after he and his ex-wife had spilt. :shrugs:

-He wanted a star lead singer for VR instead of Izzy's hope for he and Duff to share lead vocals.: cost them Izzy.

-He wanted a bigger piece of the pie for NITL: reportedly took more from Duff's partnership share; probably didn't back up Izzy's attempt to get his old % back.

Why acting like every rumor is a fact?

There's so much bullshit spreading around the internet because of that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dangelus said:

According to Mark Tremonti, Alter Bridge will be back out touring as soon as COVID is over. As well as Myles’s solo album coming out in 2021 too I’m not sure how he’ll have time for Slash assuming they intend to tour on the back of a new release. http://www.niwyiben.com/interviews/interview-with-mark-tremonti-of-alter-bridge-sept-2020/?fbclid=IwAR3dvbNwIOInDocToIO5irUlsIh1sMQDyKQSmTTrJ0Sj0YlOZvDKBOGs3P8

Easy new tour SMKC and Alterbridge with Myles solo opening and performing with both bands lol

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"spaghetti" was the last guns n roses album.

"chinese" is no more a guns n roses album than "aint life grand". Just because Axl calls it guns n roses does not mean we should accept the illusion. It's a solo album, and not a very good one at that. There is some very convoluted music on that, it doesnt even sound like guns n roses. Spaghetti sounds more like guns n roses, and that was all covers (the reason being, Izzy was not in the band anymore).

Without Izzy to help songwriting, you are deluded to expect anything WORTHY of the guns n roses brand to release ever again.

There is no gold at the end of the rainbow, it's all an illusion. But we like to think there is, to give purpose to our lives.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Like Slash said, "It's just a gig." There will be no new GnR album. Maybe a song or two, but not an album.

I haven't read Matt's book, but it is worth keeping in mind that this reunion apparently (and officially) came into existence because of a contracted gig at Coachella, and it rolled on from there. So the reunion was technically a gig at the start, and perhaps that's what Slash referred to.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I haven't read Matt's book, but it is worth keeping in mind that this reunion apparently (and officially) came into existence because of a contracted gig at Coachella, and it rolled on from there. So the reunion was technically a gig at the start, and perhaps that's what Slash referred to.

That’s a very good point actually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I haven't read Matt's book, but it is worth keeping in mind that this reunion apparently (and officially) came into existence because of a contracted gig at Coachella, and it rolled on from there. So the reunion was technically a gig at the start, and perhaps that's what Slash referred to.

That's very true......also (and I could be remembering this wrong) isn't the 'it's just a gig' quote attributed to Duff rather than Slash?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

That's very true......also (and I could be remembering this wrong) isn't the 'it's just a gig' quote attributed to Duff rather than Slash?  

I was 99% sure it was Slash. Duffs ‘controversial comments’ seem to be related to Frank.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

No, we don't. 

Therefore no...

From ehat I've heard there were many strange things written. Do we have to believe in everything he writes?

There's no evidence that they've changed their usual process of making a record. When they're ready Slash will send the music to Myles so that he can write the vocals...

Why acting like every rumor is a fact?

There's so much bullshit spreading around the internet because of that.

Acting like every rumor is fact? :lol: ok, then. If you think for one second that the semi reunion is about anything other than money you’re fooling yourself. NuGnR was a theater act by the time Axl came to his senses.

Matt is one of two people in the conversation he wrote about, so I am going to take his word for it on this one.

Regarding NITL, there have been many reports regarding the financing. Are these to be taken as facts without confirmation? Nope. But they sure seem to make sense when out together. Just my opinion....

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I haven't read Matt's book, but it is worth keeping in mind that this reunion apparently (and officially) came into existence because of a contracted gig at Coachella, and it rolled on from there. So the reunion was technically a gig at the start, and perhaps that's what Slash referred to.

Interesting point, I hadn’t thought about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...