Last ever concert..

DurhamGirl

I watched the last Guns concert in Argentina 93 and found it to be quite emotional knowing it was to be their last and Axl would not be seen or heard of as he was that night ever again. The crowd are going crazy, the adulation exploding through the roof.  How tragic indeed and frustrating.

At this point Axl said he wanted to bury Appetite and create something different well the irony is, 40 years on and he is still singing the same old over and over and not very much new has been created.  I wonder how he feels about it all.

I find it very difficult to read the tea leaves about Axl. And often it seems that for any point, there is a counter point. For instance, Axl said he wasnt prepared, emotionally, to go on the UYI tour. Counter point - he toured for 3 years.

And then you come to find that he was doing therapy on the road and reported to MTV that at some point he'd gotten to a more positive place. Counter point - directly following this newfound emotional stability, he destroyed the band. Largley this was done by trying to force through his vision. Which, given that he had to fight to get Estranged recorded and on a Guns album, is understandable to some degree. Its also understandable that other megalomaniacs arent gonna follow along.

As far as burying Appetite, I would think that 2 sprawling, simultaneous releases (UYI) could be seen as a fair effort towards that end. And I note that CD was to be a trilogy of even more experimental music. Seems like a doubling down? And one can speculate that CD cost him so much money (and loss of revenues from touring releases every few years during that time) that he needed to play the AFD hits during NuGuns in order to get to play to large audiences, to make up all the lost money from trying to bury appetite!

(My head is spinning! lol)

I hope hes happy and healthy. I mean, they are on a label. And there are finished tracks. Very mysterious to me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, soon said:

I find it very difficult to read the tea leaves about Axl. And often it seems that for any point, there is a counter point. For instance, Axl said he wasnt prepared, emotionally, to go on the UYI tour. Counter point - he toured for 3 years.

And then you come to find that he was doing therapy on the road and reported to MTV that at some point he'd gotten to a more positive place. Counter point - directly following this newfound emotional stability, he destroyed the band. Largley this was done by trying to force through his vision. Which, given that he had to fight to get Estranged recorded and on a Guns album, is understandable to some degree. Its also understandable that other megalomaniacs arent gonna follow along.

As far as burying Appetite, I would think that 2 sprawling, simultaneous releases (UYI) could be seen as a fair effort towards that end. And I note that CD was to be a trilogy of even more experimental music. Seems like a doubling down? And one can speculate that CD cost him so much money (and loss of revenues from touring releases every few years during that time) that he needed to play the AFD hits during NuGuns in order to get to play to large audiences, to make up all the lost money from trying to bury appetite!

(My head is spinning! lol)

I hope hes happy and healthy. I mean, they are on a label. And there are finished tracks. Very mysterious to me.

But its not the 3 years of touring were consistant. In other words all onstage ontime, "hangers on" around axl. But they were blowing through alot of money on curfews, parties etc. Axls major expense probably during those times was his house purchase. As slash said in his book if axl wanted to keep his malibu home the band needed to be making more money, hence the 93 shows. Especially when they did the japan and oz in that early year. GNR management were also keeping the band on the road to probably line their pockets to. 

Agree with illusions. No other band had released 2 albums on the one day. So it was something new for any band to do, which i also thought was a thankyou, and im sure axl said this in interviews or onstage rants,  to the fans for the illusions taking so long.  The band seemed fan friendly at that stage, that its a shame its no longer the case.

If CD had come out as was in 99/00, whether the band would have released the trilogy of albums....

Edited by Sydney Fan

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

But its not the 3 years of touring were consistant. In other words all onstage ontime, "hangers on" around axl. But they were blowing through alot of money on curfews, parties etc. Axls major expense probably during those times was his house purchase. As slash said in his book if axl wanted to keep his malibu home the band needed to be making more money, hence the 93 shows. Especially when they did the japan and oz in that early year. GNR management were also keeping the band on the road to probably line their pockets to. 

Agree with illusions. No other band had released 2 albums on the one day. So it was something new for any band to do, which i also thought was a thankyou, and im sure axl said this in interviews or onstage rants,  to the fans for the illusions taking so long.  The band seemed fan friendly at that stage, that its a shame its no longer the case.

If CD had come out as was in 99/00, whether the band would have released the trilogy of albums....

I think many of us fans prefer the skin and bones tour in 93 to the gandure of the Illusions tour, with the stripped back lineup and an audible Gilby. Interesting to think that we mainly got that so Axl could maintain the grandure in his private life, lol.

Ive heard other posters on the forum be skeptical about the goodwill intentions of the separate releases being a favour to the fans (in that case the band said it was so kids could afford at least one album). And also Ive heard it said (I think by the band or Goldstein) that they wanted to get everything out becasue they didnt think the band would last. But Im not sure. This really goes to my point that to every 'point' there is a 'counterpoint' and both can be factually true. Like maybe They were being fan friendly and were worried about breaking up?

I could go for a what if live action film, but in a comic book universe, of the CD era. CD comes out in 99 and is a trilogy released over the 2000s. The drama between Bucket and Finck. It could be good!

7 hours ago, soon said:

I think many of us fans prefer the skin and bones tour in 93 to the gandure of the Illusions tour, with the stripped back lineup and an audible Gilby. Interesting to think that we mainly got that so Axl could maintain the grandure in his private life, lol.

Ive heard other posters on the forum be skeptical about the goodwill intentions of the separate releases being a favour to the fans (in that case the band said it was so kids could afford at least one album). And also Ive heard it said (I think by the band or Goldstein) that they wanted to get everything out becasue they didnt think the band would last. But Im not sure. This really goes to my point that to every 'point' there is a 'counterpoint' and both can be factually true. Like maybe They were being fan friendly and were worried about breaking up?

I could go for a what if live action film, but in a comic book universe, of the CD era. CD comes out in 99 and is a trilogy released over the 2000s. The drama between Bucket and Finck. It could be good!

I feel there was good will of the band releasing 2 albums. I hadnt heard about the goldstein comment. I do remember reading magazines around 91 when t he album came out where duff explained that the 2 albums was the bands way of cleaning the slate of old material which i get. There is youtube vids where axl is introducing newer illusion songs with t he early 91 shows, while complaining about Geffen taking ages to release the albums and making the fans wait. I feel there was fan friendliness at that stage as the band were still young and still were able to look through younger fans eyes, which seems to be non existent now. We know that from fernandos responses on his reddit chats . 

Ive never seen a more management person that creates so much angst amongst the fan base.

Will be interesting how much the band promote tickets for when shows start again. I personally think if theree is no promotion for any new release as part of new touring the band are really going to struggle with ticket sales.

• Like 2