Maynard James Keenan and Joe Rogan talk gnr

2 hours ago, scottish nutter said:

Iv tried listening to tool a few times after hearing people say how good they are, i just couldnt get into anything i was hearing, each to their own though

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

The aenima album is fantastic start to finish, i'd just listen to that several times. Though lateralus is my fav song. If you like your riffs in D, and progressive, then there's no greater band ha

Lateralus and 10,000 Days are wonderful pieces of music. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scottish nutter said:

Iv tried listening to tool a few times after hearing people say how good they are, i just couldnt get into anything i was hearing, each to their own though

Same. I saw them live and was bored rigid. I've never understood the fuss about them. Not my cup of tea at all! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Same. I saw them live and was bored rigid. I've never understood the fuss about them. Not my cup of tea at all! 

Think they were the other headliner at Download 06 with GNR and MetallicA the others....wasn’t impressed at all. Fair doos I guess - if folk love them then more power to them. 

41 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Think they were the other headliner at Download 06 with GNR and MetallicA the others....wasn’t impressed at all. Fair doos I guess - if folk love them then more power to them. 

Yeah that's how I feel with them. I don't really have a problem with them, I just don't get it- but I l know a lot of people really like them. 

They even manage to put out new music once in a while too! 

On 10/25/2020 at 4:31 PM, StayofExecution2020 said:

No. Because Tool aren't managed by some brazilian housekeepers

Tool is not your typical rock show. You have to be into this kinda stuff. Art is not for everyone

Exactly, I went to see Tool at two shows earlier this year and thought they were amazing. Maynard did take a back seat to the rest of the band, but still has a presence about him. 

My hot take on Tool is that they have taken a style of music to its most sophisticated and advanced degree and for that they are rightly celebrated. The issue for me is that I personally experience that style to be a bit childish. I mean no offense. Just for me dropped d riffs, brooding personas, using uncommon words to be mysterious, magic and associated imagery is a bit 'high school.' Again, I mean no offense - I would call Appetite childish as well and I love it and I love Guns.

Another example would be that Star Wars, at its core, is for kids. And I love Star Wars. And I love the adult fandom of Star Wars. And someone I know is really good at D&D and its like 'good for you, mastering that childhood love. And bringing adulthood to your fandom.'

Just for me, Tool isnt one of those childhood things that I can carry with me into adulthood. Id even sell those toys.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 5:30 AM, JimiRose said:

Tool are great live but i totally get people who wouldn't enjoy it. It's an immersive experience with the screen displays matching the music. Maynard stands behind the drum kit and the band do not interact with the audience or each other at all. It's one of those, if you don't like the music, you're gonna hate the live show. I took a mate to see kiss live having only ever heard one song and not being a fan at all. he said it was the greatest show he'd ever seen and he didn't know a song. If you go to a tool song without knowing a song, you'll struggle :lol:

Tool is a weird live experience. I’ve had friends who just love Tool, and I’ve seen Tool live 3 times, but it never engaged me. And Maynard would sometimes dress up as woman, which didn’t feel like art to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soon said:

My hot take on Tool is that they have taken a style of music to its most sophisticated and advanced degree and for that they are rightly celebrated. The issue for me is that I personally experience that style to be a bit childish. I mean no offense. Just for me dropped d riffs, brooding personas, using uncommon words to be mysterious, magic and associated imagery is a bit 'high school.' Again, I mean no offense - I would call Appetite childish as well and I love it and I love Guns.

Another example would be that Star Wars, at its core, is for kids. And I love Star Wars. And I love the adult fandom of Star Wars. And someone I know is really good at D&D and its like 'good for you, mastering that childhood love. And bringing adulthood to your fandom.'

Just for me, Tool isnt one of those childhood things that I can carry with me into adulthood. Id even sell those toys.

Love this Post.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, soon said:

Classy of Maynard to not mention that APC formed, in part, due to Axls floundering.

But the way Im hearing it, Maynard seems to say that Guns only had one "meal" (album)?

One meal, means that they only had one sound / style. I completely disagree, especially when you look at GNR up to CD. Even Appetite has a couple of variations of 'meal' SCOM is pure chill classic rock Creedence, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Out ta get me is pure early AC/DC. Then you have songs like Estranged, The Garden, November rain... then you have songs like Shacklers revenge, If The world, prostitute... It's a comment from a guy that really doesn't know the band that well (beyond the singles).

If you judged Tool based on the their singles, or even some of their albums on the surface, you could easily say they are a one meal band. I won't go as far as to say GNR are as artistic as Tool, but they aren't that far apart - biggest difference is Tool do eventually release material. I also know that I can listen to GNR any day of the week, whereas with Tool it's entirely down to my mood, kinda like the more spaced out Pink Floyd.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Tool is a weird live experience. I’ve had friends who just love Tool, and I’ve seen Tool live 3 times, but it never engaged me. And Maynard would sometimes dress up as woman, which didn’t feel like art to me.

Although to be fair is that much odder than a high pitched singer wearing hot pants and mesh? :lol:

12 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Although to be fair is that much odder than a high pitched singer wearing hot pants and mesh? :lol:

I knew I was opening myself up to that comment. Axl had a way of pulling off looks and clothes nobody could pull off. I always loved Axl’s UYI tour clothes. Some of his clothes now are cool, but kinda odd for a 60 year old guy. I don’t know why he was rocking all those suits in 2006 just to return to shirts and leathers jackets with flannel tied around his waist.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

One meal, means that they only had one sound / style. I completely disagree, especially when you look at GNR up to CD. Even Appetite has a couple of variations of 'meal' SCOM is pure chill classic rock Creedence, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Out ta get me is pure early AC/DC. Then you have songs like Estranged, The Garden, November rain... then you have songs like Shacklers revenge, If The world, prostitute... It's a comment from a guy that really doesn't know the band that well (beyond the singles).

If you judged Tool based on the their singles, or even some of their albums on the surface, you could easily say they are a one meal band. I won't go as far as to say GNR are as artistic as Tool, but they aren't that far apart - biggest difference is Tool do eventually release material. I also know that I can listen to GNR any day of the week, whereas with Tool it's entirely down to my mood, kinda like the more spaced out Pink Floyd.

The Pink Floyd comparison is excellent. I have to be in a rare mood to listen to Floyd. Ie. joy Floyd, but I can’t just rock Floyd any given day. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He didn’t even really say anything that bad lol. A lot of people kinda see GnR as this sex pistols type band where AFD was the only “true” album. It’s no big deal!

It was shitty, condescending comment. Joe Rogan spoke of their craftsmanship and he just took a cheap snipe at GNR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Poor you. You should raise your fist in the air and defend them and say how bad tool is. That'll show em

I was already missing the "artist that bashes GnR automatically becomes a shit artist" comments :lol:

I wish McCartney or Gilmour or even the Stones would talk shit about GnR... "The Beatles are overrated anyway!"

• Haha 2

On 10/25/2020 at 10:30 AM, JimiRose said:

Tool are great live but i totally get people who wouldn't enjoy it. It's an immersive experience with the screen displays matching the music. Maynard stands behind the drum kit and the band do not interact with the audience or each other at all. It's one of those, if you don't like the music, you're gonna hate the live show. I took a mate to see kiss live having only ever heard one song and not being a fan at all. he said it was the greatest show he'd ever seen and he didn't know a song. If you go to a tool song without knowing a song, you'll struggle :lol:

KISS are a tremendous live band and always have been. I went to see them last year, so nowhere near in their pomp and it was fucking amazing! Cracking night out.

Anyone who hasn't seen them really should try to catch them on their farewell tour..... if Covid ever fucks off, of course.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sabian11 said:

Hahaha!! This thread is great! After seeing some of the juvenile shit that's posted on here it's no surprise to me some of you don't like Tool. Tool is a band for adults LoL!!

Umm - you can be an adult and not like Tool. And equally - if Keenan is talking pish (IMO) then he can be called out on it and it can be debated. I know folk who love Tool - fair doos, but they just don’t do it for me. That’s fine - it’s be boring as hell if we all like the same stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

KISS are a tremendous live band and always have been. I went to see them last year, so nowhere near in their pomp and it was fucking amazing! Cracking night out.

Anyone who hasn't seen them really should try to catch them on their farewell tour..... if Covid ever fucks off, of course.

Yep, Ive seen them in 2015 2017 and 2019. All fantastic shows. The most entertaining band I've ever seen. They're at download 2021 for their final UK gig so I'll catch them there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabian11 said:

Hahaha!! This thread is great! After seeing some of the juvenile shit that's posted on here it's no surprise to me some of you don't like Tool. Tool is a band for adults LoL!!

Just like you are being...anyway its given you a laugh so now you can go home and play your adult music after giving your adult post.

Oh you may have forgotten that you are on a GnR forum so there may be some folk who do not take kindly to criticism off Guns, unless they are constructive of course.

• Like 1