Maynard James Keenan and Joe Rogan talk gnr

8 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah they're a band for adults.

When I saw them he was wearing a pair of swimming trunks and was painted blue and gold. 

Their logo is designed to look like a cock and balls. 

Definitely a band for adults. 

🤣

Those adults who have tired of their Proust, Homer and Dostoyevsky reading can perhaps also find refuge in the lyrics of 'Maynard's Dick'. 

Here's a teaser which the more juvenile may not fully appreciate in it's complexity: 

Would you like to glide on
Slide a mile six inches at a time on Maynard's dick

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

One meal, means that they only had one sound / style. I completely disagree, especially when you look at GNR up to CD. Even Appetite has a couple of variations of 'meal' SCOM is pure chill classic rock Creedence, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Out ta get me is pure early AC/DC. Then you have songs like Estranged, The Garden, November rain... then you have songs like Shacklers revenge, If The world, prostitute... It's a comment from a guy that really doesn't know the band that well (beyond the singles).

If you judged Tool based on the their singles, or even some of their albums on the surface, you could easily say they are a one meal band. I won't go as far as to say GNR are as artistic as Tool, but they aren't that far apart - biggest difference is Tool do eventually release material. I also know that I can listen to GNR any day of the week, whereas with Tool it's entirely down to my mood, kinda like the more spaced out Pink Floyd.

I can listen to Tool for only about 30 seconds, like if they come on the radio I have to change the station.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Those adults who have tired of their Proust, Homer and Dostoyevsky reading can perhaps also find refuge in the lyrics of 'Maynard's Dick'. 

Here's a teaser which the more juvenile may not fully appreciate in it's complexity: 

Would you like to glide on
Slide a mile six inches at a time on Maynard's dick

Is this a real lyric?

On 10/26/2020 at 6:12 AM, Sisyphus said:

This narrative that GN'R have "one good album" is so worn out. GN'R Lies alone blows anything Tool has ever done out of the water. And it's not even in GN'R's top three. Enough said.

I love Lies, but the two bands are so different that comparing Lies to Aenima is impossible IMO, at that point it is just subjective personal preference

On 10/26/2020 at 6:11 AM, soon said:

My hot take on Tool is that they have taken a style of music to its most sophisticated and advanced degree and for that they are rightly celebrated. The issue for me is that I personally experience that style to be a bit childish. I mean no offense. Just for me dropped d riffs, brooding personas, using uncommon words to be mysterious, magic and associated imagery is a bit 'high school.' Again, I mean no offense - I would call Appetite childish as well and I love it and I love Guns.

Another example would be that Star Wars, at its core, is for kids. And I love Star Wars. And I love the adult fandom of Star Wars. And someone I know is really good at D&D and its like 'good for you, mastering that childhood love. And bringing adulthood to your fandom.'

Just for me, Tool isnt one of those childhood things that I can carry with me into adulthood. Id even sell those toys.

this is a hot take. like a nice stack of pancakes

serve it uppp

but also anytime I don't can't connect w/ an artist an someone mentions time signatures... I become a hedgehog. I just quill up. Don't f'n GO THERE! RAHHH 

If you google "Tool F" it'll autocomplete to "Tool Fibonacci sequence"... makes me want to punch my nuts. 

Edited by Ant
  • Haha 1

In all honesty as well....aside from Tool's first 2 studio albums, you can take any song off their last 3 studio albums (Lateralus, 10K Days, Fear Inoculum), mix them all up or pull songs here/there from each, and can still put together a a cohesive album that will work. Sort of like any AC/DC album with Brian Johnson....you can pull tracks here and there from all of them, and put together an AC/DC album.

That's not necessarily a bad thing....just saying, going in you already have a pretty good idea of what you are getting or are going to hear....No Surprises.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:02 AM, WhazUp said:

I love Lies, but the two bands are so different that comparing Lies to Aenima is impossible IMO, at that point it is just subjective personal preference

Absolutely it's a personal preference. This is a Guns forum after all. :axl92:

I just never warmed up to Tool. I own Lateralus but I just can't find it enjoyable. I'll definitely give it another go. I can't for the life of me understand their album sales. They seem massively inflated. Pretentious does not equal quality.

Putting Guns in "one good album" category is a dick move by a salty dude.

Edited by Sisyphus

On 10/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, DownUnderScott said:

I think if one UYI album with the best 12 songs had of been released it would possibly have been considered up there with the great rock albums, so a bit diluted down by the release of two double albums.

Understand the point, but I just think folks look at it the wrong way. The music, songs are there regardless of the package(s) they arrived in.

I happen to love most of the 30 songs. Only a few I'm not wild about. So the Illusions on the whole are just as great as Appetite to me.

But for those that only like half of it -- or 12 songs as you put it -- should try to see things outside of a closed box.

Who cares that the 12 songs were spread over 2 albums? It doesn't matter. The material is there. Magically eliminating the other songs doesn't somehow make the remaining ones any better or worse.

Fact is, despite only releasing 5 original studio albums, GN'R has a longer list of beloved songs than many musical acts that have released 2, 3, 4x times the amount.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 7:07 AM, thunderram said:

Understand the point, but I just think folks look at it the wrong way. The music, songs are there regardless of the package(s) they arrived in.

I happen to love most of the 30 songs. Only a few I'm not wild about. So the Illusions on the whole are just as great as Appetite to me.

But for those that only like half of it -- or 12 songs as you put it -- should try to see things outside of a closed box.

Who cares that the 12 songs were spread over 2 albums? It doesn't matter. The material is there. Magically eliminating the other songs doesn't somehow make the remaining ones any better or worse.

Fact is, despite only releasing 5 original studio albums, GN'R has a longer list of beloved songs than many musical acts that have released 2, 3, 4x times the amount.

Oh I share your love of the UYI albums. I love just about all the songs and even embrace the different and less popular ones 😊

However, I stand by my point that if this album was released - 

Civil War

Yesterdays

Breakdown

Locomotive

Dont Cry

You Could Be Mine

Estranged

Bad Obsession

Double Talking Jive

November Rain

Dont Damn Me

Coma

with one of LALD or KOHD

would have resulted in the critics claiming it as another masterpiece.

Although at the time I seem to recall the Axl said well these are a bunch of songs we have worked on, so here ya’ go fans, enjoy them. I admire him for doing what he wanted.