Sean Connery RIP

Len Cnut

Without doubt the best Bond. 

I can’t remember where this was from, but Hearts were struggling financially in the 60’s and Connery was brought up in the shadows of Tynecastle. Some fella who was responsible for raising funds wanted him to do a few things with Hearts in order to raise attention to the cause in which he replied “I’m a Scheltic man” 😂😂 That was until Celtic wouldn’t give him free tickets to an Old Firm match in the 90’s, ever since he was often seen at Ibrox next to Mr. Murray.

Rest in peace

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Never liked Bond (nice suit, watch and motor though, my favourites in all 3 categories) but fuck, Untouchables, Marnie, Reqiuem for a Heavyweight, Rising Sun, The Man Who Would Be King, The Hill, class fuckin' actor.

Don’t forget Highlander! Where he played a Spaniard with a Scottish accent!! 😂

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Never liked Bond (nice suit, watch and motor though, my favourites in all 3 categories) but fuck, Untouchables, Marnie, Reqiuem for a Heavyweight, Rising Sun, The Man Who Would Be King, The Hill, class fuckin' actor.

The Hill is an extremely good, oft overlooked, little film.

2020. Unbelievable cull of celebrity,

Sean

Nobby Stiles, Jackie Charlton and Norman Hunter (three '66 heroes in one year)!

Willie Thorne

Little Richard

Bobby Ball

Alan Minter (Len will know him)

Dean Jones (Aussie cricketer in case you didn't know, middle-aged so quite a surprise - heart-attack)

Vera Lynn

Kirk Douglas

Both Blackman and Diana Rigg, i.e., two Avengers/Bond girls in one year!!

Terry Jones

(And I'm not sure you can blame corony for most of these).

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

2020. Unbelievable cull of celebrity,

Sean

Nobby Stiles, Jackie Charlton and Norman Hunter (three '66 heroes in one year)!

Willie Thorne

Little Richard

Bobby Ball

Alan Minter (Len will know him)

Dean Jones (Aussie cricketer in case you didn't know, middle-aged so quite a surprise - heart-attack)

Vera Lynn

Kirk Douglas

Both Blackman and Diana Rigg, i.e., two Avengers/Bond girls in one year!!

Terry Jones

(And I'm not sure you can blame corony for most of these).

Hunter never got off the bench to be fair :lol:

He was a bodybuilder back in the day y'know.  Good mates with my favourite British actor (aside from Oliver Reed) Michael Caine.  Apparently they first met at a party where Caine showed up with two birds.  You were supposed to show up with a bird and a bottle but Caine couldn't afford the bottle so he just turned up with two birds.  This, apparently, impressed Sean greatly and the two became best friends after. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

He was a bodybuilder back in the day y'know.  Good mates with my favourite British actor (aside from Oliver Reed) Michael Caine.  Apparently they first met at a party where Caine showed up with two birds.  You were supposed to show up with a bird and a bottle but Caine couldn't afford the bottle so he just turned up with two birds.  This, apparently, impressed Sean greatly and the two became best friends after. 

those guys lived on another level

in stead of booze and birds, i'd probably show up with a non-alcoholic sixpack and my two hens

connery's bond is absolute hollywood legend. biggest badass I've ever seen. the coolness of Elvis, the wit of schwarzenegger, intelligence of macguyver, the technique of eastwood and the style of clark gable. the complete package. he was my introduction at flirting with the birds, I'm not ashamed to admit. Not that this got me anywhere, but that's entirely my own wrongdoing.

12 hours ago, YouCouldBeMine_2029 said:

From a Poor Working Class Lad in Edinburgh to World Wide Superstar.

I've read a few of his Biographies over the years and Enjoyed all of his Movies that I've seen.

What a Life he had!

You Should see the Movies he Turned Down!!

Very true. I remember reading that he read a script for a movie, I can't remember which one and it's pissing me off, and he really liked it. Connery told the producers, "That's a good movie you have there but you couldn't afford me." And that was the end of that.

I believe he took a clock-in/clock-out pecuniary approach to acting - a quite ruthless business operator infact. He was a bit embarrassed with the whole Bond thing to be honest and was only coaxed into Diamonds Are Forever for instance by being given £1.25 million beforehand after protracted negotiations (in fairness he was also a bit of a philanthropist, at least when it concerned Scotland, and channeled money into education and thespian schemes therein). He notoriously developed into the ire of feminists worldwide for saying, slapping a woman around was ''no big deal'' - a speaking engagement in the Scottish Parliament cancelled as a consequence! A supporter of Scottish independence, he spent his entire life as a tax-exile in the Caribbean! Connery was notoriously bad tempered. Michael Caine once saw Connery snap a golf club in two, which became the last occasion Caine played golf with Sean Connery!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I believe he took a clock-in/clock-out pecuniary approach to acting - a quite ruthless business operator infact. He was a bit embarrassed with the whole Bond thing to be honest and was only coaxed into Diamonds Are Forever for instance by being given £1.25 million beforehand after protracted negotiations (in fairness he was also a bit of a philanthropist, at least when it concerned Scotland, and channeled money into education and thespian schemes therein). He notoriously developed into the ire of feminists worldwide for saying, slapping a woman around was ''no big deal'' - a speaking engagement in the Scottish Parliament cancelled as a consequence! A supporter of Scottish independence, he spent his entire life as a tax-exile in the Caribbean! Connery was notoriously bad tempered. Michael Caine once saw Connery snap a golf club in two, which became the last occasion Caine played golf with Sean Connery!

what a hero

not too big a fan of his "women slapping" comment though. But the other way around - women slapping men, this, I am all in favour of and regularlily features in my sex life

1 minute ago, action said:

what a hero

not too big a fan of his "women slapping" comment though. But the other way around - women slapping men, this, I am all in favour of and regularlily features in my sex life

I think the term is that Connery was a ''man's man'' and gloriously un-pc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is what I like about you, realistic appraisals :lol: 

4 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Very true. I remember reading that he read a script for a movie, I can't remember which one and it's pissing me off, and he really liked it. Connery told the producers, "That's a good movie you have there but you couldn't afford me." And that was the end of that.

I think Marlon Brando said it best when he said ‘everything has a value in the market place, useless endeavours like hula hoops or rock bands that inflate balloons with their ears and I am in the Marlon Brando business and one way or another the value of Marlon Brando has found itself at a certain threshold’. Fair enough Mar’ :lol: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

This is what I like about you, realistic appraisals :lol: 

I think he was great. The Hill and Marnie and THE Bond. Man's man = like Clint and Caine. Wayne a bit also.

First on the list of all amateur impersonators alongside his old drinking buddy Caine, also. If you cannot do a decent Connery you cannot do impersonations. 

• Haha 1