Your Top 5 Desert Island Albums (Non GnR) Of All Time...(One Bonus Album Allowed)!!

YouCouldBeMine_2029

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

Muddy Waters - McKinley Morganfield aka Muddy Waters

MC5 - Kick out the Jams

REM - Eponymous 

Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks

Elastica - Elastica 

The Ramones - Leave Home

Nirvana - In Utero 

Sepultura - Chaos AD

(I’m taking 5 live albums also) :D

Black Sabbath - Past Lives

Guns N Roses - Live Era

The Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair

The Doors - Live Detroit 1970

Motorhead - No Sleep till Hammersmith

...... All subject to change by this evening.....

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2

I almost added Live Era to my list, since it’s the only GnR album that has a solid variety of both hits and deep cuts from AFD to UYI... But the shitty mix and the painfully obvious overdubs make it difficult for me to enjoy it these days. It still holds a special place in my heart for being the album that got me REALLY into GnR, but sadly, it hasn’t aged too well.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

2.Soundgarden - Superunknown

5.Alice in Chains - Dirt

As great as those albums are do you really want them if you're stranded on a desert island? :lol:

I can't imagine lyrics like "I feel soooo alone, gonna end up a big ol pile of them bones" is going to be great for morale :lol:

10 hours ago, downzy said:

To each their own, but the last thing I’d want to blast on what I can only assume is a tropical island is a heavy metal album.

Here are the albums I would choose that match the environment:

Beach Boys - Greatest Hits (I grew up to the GH collection; not super familiar with individual albums)

Jack Johnson - On and On

Bob Marley - Greatest Hits

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - Self Titled

If there was a winter season my bonus album would be:

Fleet Foxes - self titled

I know all music taste are subjective, I personally cant stand jack johnsons music. Would have to be the most overrated muscian of the last 20 years. How he has the sort of success from strumming 3 chords on an acoustic guitar ill never understand.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I know all music taste are subjective, I personally cant stand jack johnsons music. Would have to be the most overrated muscian of the last 20 years. How he has the sort of success from strumming 3 chords on an acoustic guitar ill never understand.

It's catchy-hooked driven melodies over easy-going guitar arrangements.  I don't think anyone would argue he's a musical genius.  

For me, sometimes it's more impressive writing a great catchy tune with little production than an elaborate, over the top composition with a complex chord progression.  If you look at some of the most iconic songs in rock/pop, many are pretty simple.  Some are accompanied by little to no arrangement (Steve Wonder's "I Just Called" and Otis Redding's "Sitting at the Dock of the Bay" come to mind).  

I find Johnson's ability to string along a melody is striking.  It's not an easy thing to do, let alone consistently like Johnson did through the 2000s (he kind of lost it in the 2010s).  

To each their own.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, downzy said:

It's catchy-hooked driven melodies over easy-going guitar arrangements.  I don't think anyone would argue he's a musical genius.  

For me, sometimes it's more impressive writing a great catchy tune with little production than an elaborate, over the top composition with a complex chord progression.  If you look at some of the most iconic songs in rock/pop, many are pretty simple.  Some are accompanied by little to no arrangement (Steve Wonder's "I Just Called" and Otis Redding's "Sitting at the Dock of the Bay" come to mind).  

I find Johnson's ability to string along a melody is striking.  It's not an easy thing to do, let alone consistently like Johnson did through the 2000s (he kind of lost it in the 2010s).  

To each their own.  

Appreciate the response. 👍. Each their own.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dean said:

In no order

Queen - Made In Heaven

The Strokes - The New Abnormal

Future Islands - Singles

AC/DC - Back In Black

Wings - Band on the Run

Like wings, but would rather wings over america album just so i could hear the solos in maybe im amazed.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Like wings, but would rather wings over america album just so i could hear the solos in maybe im amazed.

Great effort, but Band on the Run rivals anything The Beatles ever released in my opinion. One of the GOATs for me.

Honorable mention to All Things Must Pass by George too. Great record

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

Great effort, but Band on the Run rivals anything The Beatles ever released in my opinion. One of the GOATs for me.

Honorable mention to All Things Must Pass by George too. Great record

As they say, wings was the band the beatles couldnt be.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

As they say, wings was the band the beatles couldnt be.

"What's your favourite Beatles album?"

"Ooooh, tough one. I'd have to say... The Best of The Beatles"

Classic Partridge. I did graffiti the walls of the Abbey Road recording studios with that Wings quote also - everyone else was doing it so why not eh?! 

• Haha 1

1) Strange Days - The Doors

2) Vulgar Display Of Power - Pantera

3) The Ultimate Collection - Hank Williams

4) Highway To Hell - AC/DC

5) The Complete Masters - Elvis Presley

Of course alot of my other favorites would have to be cut from this list, but that's what I'd take to an island.