Jump to content

Your Top 5 Desert Island Albums (Non GnR) Of All Time...(One Bonus Album Allowed)!!


Recommended Posts

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street

Muddy Waters - McKinley Morganfield aka Muddy Waters

MC5 - Kick out the Jams

REM - Eponymous 

Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks

Elastica - Elastica 

The Ramones - Leave Home

Nirvana - In Utero 

Sepultura - Chaos AD


 

(I’m taking 5 live albums also) :D

Black Sabbath - Past Lives

Guns N Roses - Live Era

The Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair

The Doors - Live Detroit 1970

Motorhead - No Sleep till Hammersmith

...... All subject to change by this evening.....

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, I already have a different list :lol:

Ariel, Kate Bush

Battle of LA, Rage

Echoes, The Jerry Cans

Truckin Up To Buffalo, Grateful Dead

Legends, Joe Pass

Bonus: Live at Ronnie Scott's, Jeff Beck

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost added Live Era to my list, since it’s the only GnR album that has a solid variety of both hits and deep cuts from AFD to UYI... But the shitty mix and the painfully obvious overdubs make it difficult for me to enjoy it these days. It still holds a special place in my heart for being the album that got me REALLY into GnR, but sadly, it hasn’t aged too well.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

2.Soundgarden - Superunknown

5.Alice in Chains - Dirt

As great as those albums are do you really want them if you're stranded on a desert island? :lol:

I can't imagine lyrics like "I feel soooo alone, gonna end up a big ol pile of them bones" is going to be great for morale :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

As great as those albums are do you really want them if you're stranded on a desert island? :lol:

I can't imagine lyrics like "I feel soooo alone, gonna end up a big ol pile of them bones" is going to be great for morale :lol:

Lol I didn’t think about that, actually!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Live after death - iron maiden

Black crowes greatest hits

Let there be rock - ACDC

 Use your illusion 2 ( i just had to)

Eagles studio collection

Bonus would be

Anything from ELO

Edited by Sydney Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, downzy said:

To each their own, but the last thing I’d want to blast on what I can only assume is a tropical island is a heavy metal album.

Here are the albums I would choose that match the environment:

Beach Boys - Greatest Hits (I grew up to the GH collection; not super familiar with individual albums)

Jack Johnson - On and On

Bob Marley - Greatest Hits

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - Self Titled

If there was a winter season my bonus album would be:

Fleet Foxes - self titled

I know all music taste are subjective, I personally cant stand jack johnsons music. Would have to be the most overrated muscian of the last 20 years. How he has the sort of success from strumming 3 chords on an acoustic guitar ill never understand.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I know all music taste are subjective, I personally cant stand jack johnsons music. Would have to be the most overrated muscian of the last 20 years. How he has the sort of success from strumming 3 chords on an acoustic guitar ill never understand.

It's catchy-hooked driven melodies over easy-going guitar arrangements.  I don't think anyone would argue he's a musical genius.  

For me, sometimes it's more impressive writing a great catchy tune with little production than an elaborate, over the top composition with a complex chord progression.  If you look at some of the most iconic songs in rock/pop, many are pretty simple.  Some are accompanied by little to no arrangement (Steve Wonder's "I Just Called" and Otis Redding's "Sitting at the Dock of the Bay" come to mind).  

I find Johnson's ability to string along a melody is striking.  It's not an easy thing to do, let alone consistently like Johnson did through the 2000s (he kind of lost it in the 2010s).  

To each their own.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, downzy said:

It's catchy-hooked driven melodies over easy-going guitar arrangements.  I don't think anyone would argue he's a musical genius.  

For me, sometimes it's more impressive writing a great catchy tune with little production than an elaborate, over the top composition with a complex chord progression.  If you look at some of the most iconic songs in rock/pop, many are pretty simple.  Some are accompanied by little to no arrangement (Steve Wonder's "I Just Called" and Otis Redding's "Sitting at the Dock of the Bay" come to mind).  

I find Johnson's ability to string along a melody is striking.  It's not an easy thing to do, let alone consistently like Johnson did through the 2000s (he kind of lost it in the 2010s).  

To each their own.  

Appreciate the response. 👍. Each their own.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dean said:

In no order

Queen - Made In Heaven

The Strokes - The New Abnormal

Future Islands - Singles

AC/DC - Back In Black

Wings - Band on the Run

Like wings, but would rather wings over america album just so i could hear the solos in maybe im amazed.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Like wings, but would rather wings over america album just so i could hear the solos in maybe im amazed.

Great effort, but Band on the Run rivals anything The Beatles ever released in my opinion. One of the GOATs for me.

Honorable mention to All Things Must Pass by George too. Great record

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dean said:

Great effort, but Band on the Run rivals anything The Beatles ever released in my opinion. One of the GOATs for me.

Honorable mention to All Things Must Pass by George too. Great record

As they say, wings was the band the beatles couldnt be.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

As they say, wings was the band the beatles couldnt be.

"What's your favourite Beatles album?"

"Ooooh, tough one. I'd have to say... The Best of The Beatles"

Classic Partridge. I did graffiti the walls of the Abbey Road recording studios with that Wings quote also - everyone else was doing it so why not eh?! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Strange Days - The Doors

2) Vulgar Display Of Power - Pantera

3) The Ultimate Collection - Hank Williams

4) Highway To Hell - AC/DC

5) The Complete Masters - Elvis Presley

Of course alot of my other favorites would have to be cut from this list, but that's what I'd take to an island.

Link to post
Share on other sites

it could change on any day but for now...

The Beatles - The Beatles

Apple - Mother Love Bone

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

Ritual De Lo Habitual - Jane’s Addiction

Sgt. Pepper - The Beatles
 

Bonus:

Twin Peaks OST - Angelo Badalamenti

Edited by Stiff Competition
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Different class is class!

"Now you can tell some lies about the good times that you've had. But I've kissed your mother twice and I'm working on your dad."

Who needs Pink Floyd when lyrics like this exist? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I Moved to a new island so I’m bringing the following this time :D

Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for rotting vegetables. 

Elmore James - The Original folk blues 

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Abba - Gold

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

The Pogues - If I should fall from Grace with god

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...