Jump to content

Will Axl Ever Release The Use Your Illusion Tour Footage?


Recommended Posts

I've read down the years that Axl has Footage from the Use Your Illusion Tour. Enough for a GnR Documentary.

Robert Johns Footage has been on the Internet for Years. We've enjoyed Seeing Slash on his BMX, Axl on Slash BMX and Izzy on his Motor Bikes.

Any Recent Updates on this? Will It ever see the light of day??

Link to post
Share on other sites

A fucking remastered show on the UYI box won't make up for anything. They recorded the whole tour!!! They even have stuff from the 80s that they won't release.

The only way to make it right is to start releasing EVERYTHING on YouTube like Metallica does, or even with a subscription on their website. They could give you some free merch when you buy a certain ammount of shows, that would help stop piracy too...

But in my case, one (or two, or three, I don't care) shows included in the UYI box won't be enough. That stuff is going to be 30 years old next year. They need to go big.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how well the footage has 'aged.' Like if it came out back in the day like Metallica's road doc (2.5 yrs...) then fans would have the sentimentality of watching it back in the day, or when they first became fans. But if we just get a home video of young people getting drunk and telling knock knock jokes surrounded by poodle haired workers, would it really be that cool?

After Izzy is off the tour how much actual coolness is there? You got a struggling dude somewhere unseen with his new age spiritual advisor (Axl). You got an annoying money grubbing womanizer (Matt). Socially awkward people who are mostly in altered states (Slash, Duff, Dizzy). And their uncle (Gilby). 

Footage of lavish parties with no band members in attendance?

More footage of Axl skipping down a hotel hallway?

I'll tell you what Id want. Is Saskatoon 93 and an Izzy Show, with the very best bits of the John doc sprinkled in.

And just dump the rest as bonus footage. Maybe commentary, something to bring it to where the fans are at today?

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

A fucking remastered show on the UYI box won't make up for anything. They recorded the whole tour!!! They even have stuff from the 80s that they won't release.

The only way to make it right is to start releasing EVERYTHING on YouTube like Metallica does, or even with a subscription on their website. They could give you some free merch when you buy a certain ammount of shows, that would help stop piracy too...

But in my case, one (or two, or three, I don't care) shows included in the UYI box won't be enough. That stuff is going to be 30 years old next year. They need to go big.

To be fair Metallica releases new shows not shows from 1992, but I 100% agree with you, one show or three is a pathetic amount compared to what is available form a 2.5 year tour. I doubt the band will do anything cool for a UYI box set. The band is never going to do anything to blow your socks off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, soon said:

I wonder how well the footage has 'aged.' Like if it came out back in the day like Metallica's road doc (2.5 yrs...) then fans would have the sentimentality of watching it back in the day, or when they first became fans. But if we just get a home video of young people getting drunk and telling knock knock jokes surrounded by poodle haired workers, would it really be that cool?

After Izzy is off the tour how much actual coolness is there? You got a struggling dude somewhere unseen with his new age spiritual advisor (Axl). You got an annoying money grubbing womanizer (Matt). Socially awkward people who are mostly in altered states (Slash, Duff, Dizzy). And their uncle (Gilby). 

Footage of lavish parties with no band members in attendance?

More footage of Axl skipping down a hotel hallway?

I'll tell you what Id want. Is Saskatoon 93 and an Izzy Show, with the very best bits of the John doc sprinkled in.

And just dump the rest as bonus footage. Maybe commentary, something to bring it to where the fans are at today?

 

Nobody is going to sift thru 2.5 years of backstage tour footage to cherry pick great content. And I don’t think Slash and Duff want that footage released. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Am I missing a page here (has Fn’ando said something?) or are you guys unreasonably expecting some old pro-shots within a "UYI box set" in spite of the fact that we received nothing of the sort for the AfD anniversary box? 

We are unreasonably expecting some old pro-shots within a "UYI box set" in spite of the fact that we received nothing of the sort for the AfD anniversary box

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcelo Garay said:

We are unreasonably expecting some old pro-shots within a "UYI box set" in spite of the fact that we received nothing of the sort for the AfD anniversary box

Oh cool. I thought there was some new piece of info I didn't know about. Well, same old same old then. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Illusions documentary is the holy grail of GnR.  I remember Duff basically confirmed it on MTV News back in '92 or so.  Thank god for old YouTube footage- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju91qvTtJCQ

 

Edited by Original
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a good question. Personally to edit ‘The Perfect Crime’ footage into a feature length documentary would be interesting for the 30th Anniversary. It would be the only worthwhile purchase for the event. Use Your Illusions is well produced. I wouldn’t say no to surround sound. But a repeat of the Appetite release would be an insult to the fans. Unless they put out the cover songs that were recorded for the Spaghetti Incident and a version of Sympathy for the Devil with Slash’s slash solo instead of Keith Richards, but not released. I’m not buying another cabinet this time unless it truly is a siren to run aground on!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Maybe Axl doesn’t want people to see how great he used to be live. His drop off in quality is remarkable. Look at his contemporaries. James Hetfield, Bono, Anthony Kiedis, Jagger, Eddie Vedder. These guys have maintained quality thru out their careers. Axl is the reverse of a bad before and after picture.

I agree with this to an extent.

Although I feel Axl Is one of these people who can really turn it on when he wants to. Fan Pressure isn't enough for him these days (last 25 years), Imo.

Look how Axl Sounded with AC/DC.  That was Pressure a Situation! His Voice did those Tunes Justice.

 

Edited by YouCouldBeMine_2029
Adding Grammer
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DTV88 said:

Thread title should be updated to "How soon after Axl's death will TB open the vault?"

:lol:...

11 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

A fucking remastered show on the UYI box won't make up for anything. They recorded the whole tour!!! They even have stuff from the 80s that they won't release.

The only way to make it right is to start releasing EVERYTHING on YouTube like Metallica does, or even with a subscription on their website. They could give you some free merch when you buy a certain ammount of shows, that would help stop piracy too...

But in my case, one (or two, or three, I don't care) shows included in the UYI box won't be enough. That stuff is going to be 30 years old next year. They need to go big.

Agree 100%...Relsease It All!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...