Richard Fortus Zoom Class last Saturday

Finally got to meet the great guitarist and Slash’s favourite member of the CD lineup. Nice guy. Very happy with his lot. What a musician, instrument collector and talent. The other interviewees asked interesting questions about guitar playing, instruments and other stuff. I agonised over what question would I like an answer. So, I asked him about recording with Roy Thomas Baker, only a day later to remember that RTB had left at the end of 2001. Fortus being a gent didn’t point that out but told me of a time he recorded with him in Denmark some time later. So, as many die hards already know Fortus did his guitar parts in a week. Presumably with Caram C in later 2002. Axl apparently recorded his vocals in a few weeks somewhere between 1998 and 2007. Perhaps that’s why the Zutaut leaks feature so many instrumentals that needed a lot of work to find their GNRmagic.

Another interfering thing was that he was unnerved about the Dublin gig in 2010 with the ominous crowd. I met Bumble in 2011 and he seemed to see it that way too. I remember that day there was a lot of youth drinking energy drinks and mixing alcohol since the morning, as the stuff was being handed out free. Guess it taxed their ability to tolerate Axl’s restate prima Donna behaviour!

He was the peace maker for the St. Louis gig last year.

Fortus has been busy with multi instrumentalist soundtracks. 

GNR are wring new music as stated by Duff’s wife.

The band last played together in March.

Fortus uses proTools.

He was an absolute Southern Gentleman and seemed pleased to be playing with Slash. Didn’t come across as a Bumble fan, but respected Bucket & Finck. Finck and Fortus could have handled the band in 2006. H/W Bumble was the approachable member to fans in my observations and found his own way into the band with the album and the promotion five year tour.

Well worth the €70 price of admission.

I got word of it in Reddit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Just to add that Bucket knew when not to play and Bumble had to be muted to present a rhyme and treble mix according to Fortus! Fortus seems to be one of the guys that Bumble clashed with. I wonder was Tommy the other one who made Bumble defensive?

Fortus first went to audition for Guns when Finck first left. It ended up the BH got that gig, not Fortus. Then Fortus was called in again to rehearse and got to fill Pauls role when Paul left.

Then when BH left, Finck and Fortus arranged all the parts for 2 guitars. But then Axl surprised them with Bumble.

I can see how Richard might feel like he wasnt given the chance for a promotion from within the band. Bumbble was an 'outside hire.' Its about money, pride and resume. I can see how that could cause some friction. But yeah, Finck, Fortus and Tommy seem to have been the cool kids in the band?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Just to add that Bucket knew when not to play and Bumble had to be muted to present a rhyme and treble mix according to Fortus! Fortus seems to be one of the guys that Bumble clashed with. I wonder was Tommy the other one who made Bumble defensive?

I can think of a few times when Bumble played some of his crazier shred tapping over some sections of the classic songs, in those moments you could argue he needed to be muted! but that was the first tour! from 2009-2014 everybody had their part, it was worked out and nobody was stepping on anyone else's toes! 

It says more about Richard that he would have animosity towards the new guy that was hired short notice to fill a spot, than it does the new guy (bumble). Bumble was wooed by the band, he didn't go out of his way to get the gig! Axl wanted the 3rd guitar, and he wanted Bumble! If Richard was a big boy he would have sulked for a day or two and then put on his big boy pants getting on with the job OR he could have left the band if he was that unhappy! this passive mudslinging is beneath him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

still "writing new music"?!?! :facepalm:

This is not necessarily a bad thing, maybe there's enough material for an album, but they like to continue writing....

Don't get me wrong, I share the frustration of them not releasing anything (except Rock the Rock and Shadow of your Love)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, allwaystired said:

'Writing' new GNR material. 

Where is this strange rumour an album is finished coming from? Any band member asked says 'writing' it seems. 

Devil’s advocate here - just because he is writing new GNR stuff doesn’t mean there is an album already in the can. This could be extra stuff for subsequent releases (imagine that 😂)....

Of course this could also mean that there is no album ready to go as rumoured (im hoping there is of course)....and they really are still writing away.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Devil’s advocate here - just because he is writing new GNR stuff doesn’t mean there is an album already in the can. This could be extra stuff for subsequent releases (imagine that 😂)....

Of course this could also mean that there is no album ready to go as rumoured (im hoping there is of course)....and they really are still writing away.

With the total lack of evidence of one album being written, assuming they are  now 'writing' a second, is a bit of a stretch! 

The logical assumption has to be that there isn't a first album really, until it's proved in any way shape or form that it exists. If you assume one album is completed and they're working on another, you really might as well assume for example that 2, 3, or 4 are finished and they're working on a fifth. 

Until a release date is set and formally announced, we're still where we've been since the release of CD.....band members telling us they are 'writing' or 'jamming'. 

We really are setting ourselves up for a big let down if we let ourselves think anything is completed, against all the evidence. 

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

With the total lack of evidence of one album being written, assuming they are  now 'writing' a second, is a bit of a stretch! 

The logical assumption has to be that there isn't a first album really, until it's proved in any way shape or form that it exists. If you assume one album is completed and they're working on another, you really might as well assume for example that 2, 3, or 4 are finished and they're working on a fifth. 

Until a release date is set and formally announced, we're still where we've been since the release of CD.....band members telling us they are 'writing' or 'jamming'. 

We really are setting ourselves up for a big let down if we let ourselves think anything is completed, against all the evidence. 

Ha ha - I was just putting that suggestion out there (as unlikely and ridiculous as it seems).

And....Scotland just qualified for the Euros for a first finals appearance in over 20 years. Literally - ANYTHING is possible now...😂

Edited by DTJ80

46 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Ha ha - I was just putting that suggestion out there (as unlikely and ridiculous as it seems).

And....Scotland just qualified for the Euros for a first finals appearance in over 20 years. Literally - ANYTHING is possible now...😂

Yeah, I get you. I'd like the album to be done, don't get me wrong.....I just can't see that being the case in any way sadly. 

Well done Scotland! Haha! I don't follow football......but always enjoy it a bit when England lose! Despite being English. So ......go Scotland! 

16 hours ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Finally got to meet the great guitarist and Slash’s favourite member of the CD lineup. Nice guy. Very happy with his lot. What a musician, instrument collector and talent. The other interviewees asked interesting questions about guitar playing, instruments and other stuff. I agonised over what question would I like an answer. So, I asked him about recording with Roy Thomas Baker, only a day later to remember that RTB had left at the end of 2001. Fortus being a gent didn’t point that out but told me of a time he recorded with him in Denmark some time later. So, as many die hards already know Fortus did his guitar parts in a week. Presumably with Caram C in later 2002. Axl apparently recorded his vocals in a few weeks somewhere between 1998 and 2007. Perhaps that’s why the Zutaut leaks feature so many instrumentals that needed a lot of work to find their GNRmagic.

Another interfering thing was that he was unnerved about the Dublin gig in 2010 with the ominous crowd. I met Bumble in 2011 and he seemed to see it that way too. I remember that day there was a lot of youth drinking energy drinks and mixing alcohol since the morning, as the stuff was being handed out free. Guess it taxed their ability to tolerate Axl’s restate prima Donna behaviour!

Fortus uses proTools.

He was an absolute Southern Gentleman and seemed pleased to be playing with Slash. Didn’t come across as a Bumble fan, but respected Bucket & Finck. Finck and Fortus could have handled the band in 2006. H/W Bumble was the approachable member to fans in my observations and found his own way into the band with the album and the promotion five year tour.

sorry to ask u that but are u a good............source ?

12 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, I get you. I'd like the album to be done, don't get me wrong.....I just can't see that being the case in any way sadly. 

Well done Scotland! Haha! I don't follow football......but always enjoy it a bit when England lose! Despite being English. So ......go Scotland! 

Ha ha - cheers mate. England actually have a very good team and Southgate seems a good guy. It’s the bloody English media - utterly unbearable. Scottish media will be the same now right enough 😂. We nearly blew it AGAIN but somehow managed to prevail....2020 truly is a weird old year. 😂

For any non-footy/soccer fans....Scotland qualified for a major tournament for first time since 1998. In GNR language for context...that was the year before Oh My God was released. 🤯

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah more and more I’m getting the feeling that they scrapped the ChiDem leftovers and are starting from scratch.

I’d hope they took the GREAT stuff at least to work on further it if that’s the case (Hardschool etc).

Then the only hope for the other stuff is a mass leak or a ultra-mega 50 disc CD deluxe edition to hear all the CD era tunes in the vault. 😂

16 hours ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Fortus uses proTools.

What do you mean by the peace maker for the st louis gig?.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’d hope they took the GREAT stuff at least to work on further it if that’s the case (Hardschool etc).

Then the only hope for the other stuff is a mass leak or a ultra-mega 50 disc CD deluxe edition to hear all the CD era tunes in the vault. 😂

I can only really think of like five or six village songs that are maybe “essential,” and even those would all still need a lot more work on them anyways.

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I can only really think of like five or six village songs that are maybe “essential,” and even those would all still need a lot more work on them anyways.

Let’s not forget the other stuff like The General and who knows what else was intended for CD2...🤷🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah more and more I’m getting the feeling that they scrapped the ChiDem leftovers and are starting from scratch.

They soundchecked hardschool, so they defintely haven't. Axl said at the china exchange the next album would be mainly chinese era songs. The lack of excitement around duff or slash promoting an album or even seeming to give a fuck about new music, whilst plugging their side projects non stop, suggest that they've had little creative input into writing the songs and probably just re recorded the old parts but with freedom to make them their own. 

Edited by JimiRose
typo