The future of AC/DC

Sosso

The band finally released Power Up and Angus has already confirmed potiental new albums. 

I figured out a couple of scenarios based on his quotes. 

- The band will host a small Power Up Tour next year and will focus on the a new album after that

- The band will skip a potential Power Up tour and will focus on a new album. 

- The Line-up remained the same for two albums, but Cliff already expressed his wish to retire after Power Up. As much as I want him to stay in the band, Mark Evans seems to be the most realistic replacement.

What are your predictions for AC/DC future? 

I think the immediate future depends on how things progress with the rollout of a COVID vaccine - if AC/DC is able to tour next year, a tour in support of Power zip seems logical. But if they can’t tour until 2022, I just can’t see them kicking off an album cycle tour after 18 months. 

I do hope the band moves through album cycles a little more rapidly though. I got the sense that Mal was the one that really liked a lot of downtime between cycles, so if that 5 year window could even be cut down to a 3 year window, that would be great. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I do hope the band moves through album cycles a little more rapidly though. I got the sense that Mal was the one that really liked a lot of downtime between cycles, so if that 5 year window could even be cut down to a 3 year window, that would be great. 

True. Angus can't afford long breaks if the wants to keep the RoB/PU line-up for future albums. He can only fill the spots with former members (Simon Wright or Chris Slade for example) because I don't think the fan base will accept any new or unknown muscians. 

Edited by Sosso

I think they should forgo the punishing world tour. Maybe do some one off shows... or even some live streamed / filmed ones like in a cool Shot In the Dark red-lit studio. That way they can keep Cliff in the band and they could make PWR UP like the first of a final album trio. 

The timespan between Powerage and FTATR was 4 years, which is crazy to think about nowadays! That way you could get two more solid albums before Brian is Joe Biden's age :o.

Really spend the time honing the songs... PWR UP is great but if it was 4 outta 5... it feels like it coulda been 5/5 BiB / HtH with a Mutt Lange kicking some butts in the studio... forcing more consideration for some of the choruses and outros. I say that not to be critical but to be excited about pumping out a few more albums over huge touring schedules. 

Edited by Ant

@AntMutt Lange is pretty much a Persona Non Grata in the AC/DC world. :lol: They wanted to go back to basics production-wise since FOTS. The only exceptions I can think of are The Razors Edge and Black Ice.

Edited by Sosso
  • GNFNR 1

10 minutes ago, Sosso said:

@AntMutt Lange is pretty much a Persona Non Grata in the AC/DC world. :lol: They wanted to go back to basics production-wise since FOTS. The only execptions I can think of are The Razors Edge and Black Ice.

Yeah for sure... and I don't see them ditching Brendan O'Brien.  In an interview Angus made it sound like BoB was the one thumbing through the backlog of material and picking and organizing. He'd probably have the next album(s) already sketched. 

But getting too comfortable with a producer seems to be a diminishing returns endeavor in so many cases. I think Bruce Springsteen ditching Brendan O'Brien specifically lead to his two best albums in a long time. And I don't think BoB is a hack or anything, I love RoB... with respect to Springsteen, I love Devils & Dust.... and PWR UP is great. But I feel like AC/DC could go one notch higher on the quality scale, for the last album or two here. PWR UP showed there's no physical limitations or issues with capacity. Just a random thought. 

Edited by Ant

43 minutes ago, Ant said:

I think they should forgo the punishing world tour. Maybe do some one off shows... or even some live streamed / filmed ones like in a cool Shot In the Dark red-lit studio. That way they can keep Cliff in the band and they could make PWR UP like the first of a final album trio. 

The timespan between Powerage and FTATR was 4 years, which is crazy to think about nowadays! That way you could get two more solid albums before Brian is Joe Biden's age :o.

Really spend the time honing the songs... PWR UP is great but if it was 4 outta 5... it feels like it coulda been 5/5 BiB / HtH with a Mutt Lange kicking some butts in the studio... forcing more consideration for some of the choruses and outros. I say that not to be critical but to be excited about pumping out a few more albums over huge touring schedules. 

The thing is the whole music industry has changed since the late 70s/early 80s. Money used to be made on the albums, and bands would tour to promote a new album. But nowadays with how easily music can be obtained (Both legally and illegally), and with the rise of streaming, the money is made on touring with new music serving more as an excuse to go out on tour. So yes, while AC/DC does work on a longer cycle schedule than most bands (Mainly due to the downtime between cycles), there’s literally nobody out that dropping albums on a yearly basis. 

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

The thing is the whole music industry has changed since the late 70s/early 80s. Money used to be made on the albums, and bands would tour to promote a new album. But nowadays with how easily music can be obtained (Both legally and illegally), and with the rise of streaming, the money is made on touring with new music serving more as an excuse to go out on tour. So yes, while AC/DC does work on a longer cycle schedule than most bands (Mainly due to the downtime between cycles), there’s literally nobody out that dropping albums on a yearly basis. 

Yeah that's very true. I wasn't really thinking about the dollars and cents... even if Angus and co don't care about the money, the label still does! But they're all on the brink of a physical breakdown. We're all worried about Axl and Slash and these guys lived just as hard and are decade plus deeper :) . I'm thinking romantically about legacy building! 

Edited by Ant

I just thought about the whole situation and the band should really consider to skip a potential tour in favour of a new album. Angus seems determined to release those songs and they can still play some shows when they are allowed to. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 5:07 AM, Sosso said:

The band finally released Power Up and Angus has already confirmed potiental new albums. 

I figured out a couple of scenarios based on his quotes. 

- The band will host a small Power Up Tour next year and will focus on the a new album after that

- The band will skip a potential Power Up tour and will focus on a new album. 

- The Line-up remained the same for two albums, but Cliff already expressed his wish to retire after Power Up. As much as I want him to stay in the band, Mark Evans seems to be the most realistic replacement.

What are your predictions for AC/DC future? 

Defintely number 1. They will tour this album when the rest of the world has got a hold of the covid situation. I think they will play the major capital cities in each state/country. They could do a 6 to 8 month tour and not 2 years. Forgo playing at festivals.

J think at this stage of acdcs career, the band dictate their terms to the record company in terms of  new albums and touring,  not the other way around.

Edited by Sydney Fan