Gilby Clarke Shares Opinion on Izzy Stradlin & Replacing Him in GN'R, Talks if He Was Angry Over Not Getting Velvet Revolver Invite 

Im not sure why they just picked this August pod up, but Gilbys always a fun interview.

I wonder if after Izzy ditched The Project, had they approached Gilby, would he have been into the idea of replacing Izzy a second time?

Gilbys latest single, Tightwad, sounds like its right off the Rockstar Supernova album.... not my cup of tea.

24 minutes ago, Chuzeville said:

Based on how good Pawn-Shop Guitars was, it's baffling that Axl wouldn't want Gilby in the band, contributing to songwriting.

I listened to that album again a couple of weeks ago plus some newer Gilby stuff - I was quite shocked how boring and lame it all sounded! :/ Back in the day I liked it quite a bit, but yeah, I totally understand that Axl wasn't thrilled about the idea of writing with him.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Chuzeville said:

Based on how good Pawn-Shop Guitars was, it's baffling that Axl wouldn't want Gilby in the band, contributing to songwriting.

Considering the direction Axl wanted to go musically I can see why he didn't want Gilby in the band. Probably didn't want another guitarist who wanted to do traditional rock music. That and he was keen on Gilby personally, if I remember correctly. 

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Birdman said:

I could be mistaken about this or mixing things up, but didn’t Gilby say in previous interviews that he was asked to join the reunion or play a show, but he couldn’t due to scheduling conflicts and having to attend his daughter’s event or something?

You are right 👍

11 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

He just said that he had some private talks with Slash around that time, didn't say anything more.

The part about the crew betting on the reunion was interesting too.

That’s total bullshit. Niven makes stuff up. I would almost guarantee that Axl knew he was going to make the reunion work and the only way to make it work would be for Axl to make it less about himself, which he succeeded in accomplishing.

12 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

He just said that he had some private talks with Slash around that time, didn't say anything more.

The part about the crew betting on the reunion was interesting too.

👍 I had a read at the article. Niven....I get the impression he just likes to dine out on his GNR history mostly these days. not like he is doing anything else of note.

Edited by DTJ80

23 hours ago, Chuzeville said:

With the benefit of hindsight and the songs we received, I’d say Axl made the correct decision to go with Tobias.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Which ones do you consider to be the standouts from CD?

All of them with the exception of Shacklers and ITW - both good songs but I personally could take or leave - along with Riad and Scraped - Riad has its moments but never been a fan of Scraped.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 4:05 AM, El Guapo said:

I listened to that album again a couple of weeks ago plus some newer Gilby stuff - I was quite shocked how boring and lame it all sounded! :/ Back in the day I liked it quite a bit, but yeah, I totally understand that Axl wasn't thrilled about the idea of writing with him.

Loved Pawnshop and The Hangover, his last few weren't that good, and his new stuff dosen't sound that great