Have there been any 'selects' this month?

• 3 months later...

Some of the selects are bloody awful. The version of Paradise City actually astounded me how crap it was! However, I really enjoyed hearing Locomotive. Out Ta Get Me was a blast too. I mean overall, it's not great. But there are a few decent moments in there like. 

Speaking as an actor, there's no such thing as a flawless performance. Trying to pick the best parts of a performance for display only highlights flaws if you go at it with a microscope. There can be so many variables at play during a big show and you are better off releasing the whole show and having it judged as a whole.

Look, if I had a huge online fanbase fat-shaming and saying that I can't sing anymore my confidence would be fucked too. I admire the guy for working through his shit and doing what he does. Only Dexter knows what that's like.

• Like 1

They probably realized that all they do it show people how awful the band is live..  Those selects aren't even fun to watch when I am buzzed..  I watch a lot of live music on youtube..  Every once in awhile I would put one of these on to give it another chance.. Aside from 2 or 3 songs I would always turn them off halfway..  I stopped trying.. The only ones watchable were DTJ, Out Ta Get Me and Wichita Lineman...

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They probably realized that all they do it show people how awful the band is live..  Those selects aren't even fun to watch when I am buzzed..  I watch a lot of live music on youtube..  Every once in awhile I would put one of these on to give it another chance.. Aside from 2 or 3 songs I would always turn them off halfway..  I stopped trying.. The only ones watchable were DTJ, Out Ta Get Me and Wichita Lineman...

I think we've all done that thinking, "maybe I was too hard on it the first time..." but no, most of the performances were a mix of awful or just about passable. Those 3 songs were legitimately good though. 

It wouldn't take much effort to find and release 10 solid selects, most of us here could pick them out and I'd guarantee the reception on and off of here would be much different... when you leave a job to morons, you're going to get shit results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Coma and My Michelle were decent too, but yea... what should have been a highlight reel was more like a blooper reel. They were pretty bad choices to release considering they'll be trying to sell over-priced tickets later this year.

• Like 2

Of all the topics, this is the one that surprises me the most.  I enjoyed every single one.  I blasted the heck out of the sound and really grooved to the music.    The sound was good, the video work was interesting.  Do you really think that they are holding back?  I suspect that's as good as it is, without spending the money for a professional (and expensive) official release.  

5 minutes ago, Spike Killer said:

Of all the topics, this is the one that surprises me the most.  I enjoyed every single one.  I blasted the heck out of the sound and really grooved to the music.    The sound was good, the video work was interesting.  Do you really think that they are holding back?  I suspect that's as good as it is, without spending the money for a professional (and expensive) official release.  

I believe the audio mix in some cases is in mono and doesn’t really sound as full as what a professionally mixed concert would (keep in mind they’ve got a lot of people in their camp that could assist with that) but the biggest gripe for me is not nitpicking performances where Axl was knocking it out the park. How fucking sweet was the Houston selects?! Ginger bollocks was firing on all cylinders and Fernando got a lot of praise for his efforts in getting some of that particular performance out for the fans. Such with everything in life, you can’t please everyone, but I’d have liked a more caring approach instead of just going for the easier accessible shows which was the case for the 2019 shows.

2 hours ago, Spike Killer said:

What was interesting about the video work? A lot of it was from static cameras! 

Honestly, if you think all of these videos were good, I don't know what to say. The last one the band were falling asleep while playing! 

Of course they are 'holding back' as all the professionally recorded footage from 2016 shows. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spike Killer said:

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Honestly, if you think all of these videos were good, I don't know what to say. The last one the band were falling asleep while playing! 

Of course they are 'holding back' as all the professionally recorded footage from 2016 shows. 

If you think those videos were good then you probably don't watch many pro shot concert videos. Even a lot of the cell phone fan video which are gone now were better than the Selects imo.

I watched the version of Chinese Democracy this afternoon and it sucks balls. The way Slash played the riff was very half arsed. Fortus was actually fairly faithful to the original woodly woo solo. So kudos to him. But that was not a good performance.

9 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

I watched the version of Chinese Democracy this afternoon and it sucks balls. The way Slash played the riff was very half arsed. Fortus was actually fairly faithful to the original woodly woo solo. So kudos to him. But that was not a good performance.

I noticed that too.

Does Fortus play any other Bucket stuff live with GN'R? 

2 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Remind me what show that was from? 

On 3/10/2021 at 5:25 AM, t-p-d-a said:

I know that Guns N 'Roses are working very hard on a new album, are also focusing on the UYI box and are also putting a lot of effort and energy into the brand new tour. Is there any new information that the popular NITL Selects series will be continue?

Please pass me whatever your smoking 😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Exactly!  Since MTV-style editing became popular it's nice to see static camera angles and more time between camera changes.  I particularly liked the more recent ones that also highlighted the graphics and the different animation with each song.  My instinct is that they could have exclusively showed 2016 shows and it wouldn't change much.

I won't attempt to double quote here, but I'm pretty confident I've seen a bunch of pro-shot videos.  I don't need to tout my video library of recorded shows to prove that (it is 3.10 TB worth of pro-shot videos, just saying).

4 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

I doubt we will get anything else again after the bashing of most of the selects, deserved or not.  I bet Axl gets a laugh out of our gripes re management, new music etc. but then I doubt he ever reads forums.

There. ;) :D

Edited by jamillos
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1