Oceania Tour Dates 2021 announced!

24 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s not looking promising and I’m one of the more positive folk on here. I really hope we do get something against all odds.

I mean - if Susan said she heard new stuff clearly there is/was intent to do something. I just can’t imagine Slash and Duff going into he studio if there wasn’t firm agreement on getting stuff out there - we all know there seems to be some kind of mental block/issue with releasing stuff but surely that should have been sorted out. I know ‘plans change’ but there is absolutely no reason to release even just a cash-grab album (CD2 with overdubs as an example) to keep touring numbers up. If all they are bothered about is cash (not convinced that is strictly true) then they are doing a shite job at milking us fans dry. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't doubt that Duff and Slash are probably brimming with idea and things they want to do, which is probably where Susan's enthusiasm came from. I'm sure they'll have been doing all sorts in their own studios. 

But we're talking about a band who haven't even managed to get a live album released of a successful tour. What the problem is......who knows? We've got to accept now though that tours a year away are being billed as having new lights and screens, and using ancient logos, and see the writing on the wall here. It's very clear. Even the promoters trying to drum up ticket sales aren't talking about even the possibility of anything new now. At this stage, sadly, we're the fools if we choose to read things into the information we're getting and choose to speculate.

I've always thought the 'milking fans dry' one is weird. I spend zero on GNR now- I spend a lot more on other bands that I don't like as much. Their ticket prices are outrageous, as are their merch prices of course (not that there is any need to even dream of buying any of that nonsense), but there are SO many things they could do if they wanted my/our money. it's the simple thing: make something fans want, price it well, and they'll buy it. We're a captive audience, just waiting for something to buy! So whilst they are 'milking' people on the tickets etc, they're really not in other ways. At this stage they're releasing nothing for fans to spend their money on, when most of us here would shell out tomorrow for some of the archive stuff. It's a truly odd situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I like their music now, but come on.....what teenager wants the approval, or to have anything in common with, their parents?! 

Isn't half the charm of music always the rebellion and the 'voice of a generation' thing? Sad if that's been lost, as it's always been the case - The Beatles owe a lot of their success to parents saying "what's this long-haired trash" while teenagers lapped it up. 

Time has moved on though. They'e being replaced by something new, in the same way that the likes of Mozart, Beethoven etc got replaced by new sounds, new ideas, new things. Can't hold back the tide. 

I agree. But, I’m grateful I lived in the era of rock music, when the great bands lived. I’ve seen them all, so I’m content. There will never be another band like GNR, people just aren’t made like that anymore.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I don't doubt that Duff and Slash are probably brimming with idea and things they want to do, which is probably where Susan's enthusiasm came from. I'm sure they'll have been doing all sorts in their own studios. 

But we're talking about a band who haven't even managed to get a live album released of a successful tour. What the problem is......who knows? We've got to accept now though that tours a year away are being billed as having new lights and screens, and using ancient logos, and see the writing on the wall here. It's very clear. Even the promoters trying to drum up ticket sales aren't talking about even the possibility of anything new now. At this stage, sadly, we're the fools if we choose to read things into the information we're getting and choose to speculate.

I've always thought the 'milking fans dry' one is weird. I spend zero on GNR now- I spend a lot more on other bands that I don't like as much. Their ticket prices are outrageous, as are their merch prices of course (not that there is any need to even dream of buying any of that nonsense), but there are SO many things they could do if they wanted my/our money. it's the simple thing: make something fans want, price it well, and they'll buy it. We're a captive audience, just waiting for something to buy! So whilst they are 'milking' people on the tickets etc, they're really not in other ways. At this stage they're releasing nothing for fans to spend their money on, when most of us here would shell out tomorrow for some of the archive stuff. It's a truly odd situation. 

I know. I just can’t get my head around it - fine, they don’t want to put out new stuff so why on earth wouldn’t they ‘milk  us dry’ for stuff which is actually sitting there waiting to be released...proshots from every tour, live albums, additional materials for repackaged UYI and CD releases. Almost EVERY other band on Planet Earth would rip your arm off to be in such a material-heavy situation ready to go. It literally drives you bonkers. 🤪

I read an Interview with Lars Ulrich the other day and he commented that when MetallicA ends it won’t be a real ending as he will spend the rest of his life curating the legacy. Awesome to hear from a MetallicA side (can’t complain at my lot on that hand).....then I look at the other hand....😭.

I keep banging on about potential record company politics....I genuinely can’t work out why (apart from the apparent obvious) there has been no ‘new’ releases at all since CD as AFDemocracy was only released as part of a legal resolution. 🤷🏼‍♂️ I keep thinking there is some kind of stand-off or something (without any proof...).

AAARRRGGGHHH. So fucking frustrating. 🤬

Edited by DTJ80

1 minute ago, DTJ80 said:

I know. I just can’t get my head around it - fine, they don’t want to put out new stuff so why on earth wouldn’t they ‘milk  us dry’ for stuff which is actually sitting there waiting to be released...proshots from every tour, live albums, additional materials for repackaged UYI and CD releases. Almost EVERY other band on Planet Earth would rip your arm off to be in such a material-heavy situation ready to go. It literally drives you bonkers. 🤪

I read an Interview with Lars Ulrich the other day and he commented that when MetallicA ends it won’t be a real ending as he will spend the rest of his life curating the legacy. Awesome to hear from a MetallicA side (can’t complain at my lot on that hand).....then I look at the other hand....😭.

I keep banging on about potential record company politics....I genuinely can’t work out why (apart from the apparent obvious) there has been no ‘new’ releases at all since CD as AFDemocracy was only released as part of a legal resolution. 🤷🏼‍♂️

AAARRRGGGHHH. So fucking frustrating. 🤬

Yep, it's a tough one to get your head around alright! It makes no sense whatsoever. Never has done. 

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I like their music now, but come on.....what teenager wants the approval, or to have anything in common with, their parents?! 

Isn't half the charm of music always the rebellion and the 'voice of a generation' thing? Sad if that's been lost, as it's always been the case - The Beatles owe a lot of their success to parents saying "what's this long-haired trash" while teenagers lapped it up. 

Well. I guess it all depends on how crappy your parents taste is. I never felt the need to desperately have to like something different.

35 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

So they just canned 'Larger Than Life'... lol

Maybe Axl went on a diet 

Edit: I apologize, jokes on peoples weight or appearance are not okay, I‘m just really fed up with the way this band operates 

Edited by SAU3R

45 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Well. I guess it all depends on how crappy your parents taste is. I never felt the need to desperately have to like something different.

Never heard of teenage rebellion? Acting out? Going off the rails a bit? That thing that fuelled all great music forever? You clearly missed out. Or were perhaps a little too tied to your parents? 

Nothing desperate about it. It is part of youth. Entirely normal, and has gone on for centuries. Was I listening to my parents Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, records? Hardly crappy stuff.....but hell no. Me and all my friends had new bands we were obsessed with who were of our generation and putting on killer live shows full of energy. Pretty normal. Were my parents listening to their parents records when they were  off seeing Zeppelin, The Faces, The Beatles etc live at their small gigs when they were teens? Of course not. 

I'd say it's pretty 'desperate' if kids feel they have to live in their parents past during their formative years. 

I really hope if I ever have kids they'll be into some shit I don't understand or like. It's progress.....and I admit fully the irony of posting that on the forum of a band who seem absolutely determined to never ever progress! 

Edited by allwaystired

16 hours ago, ThePreacher said:

Fernando is like Cigarette smoking man from The X-Files. Allways when we are certain we are about to see something, we are being screwd

With entire TB being the Syndicate – sitting in dark rooms, conspiring and plotting what to sell next – new toy trucks or shoddy lithos – and how to arouse buzz without releasing anything, e.g. by using old AfD cross logos for upcoming shows… 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

With entire TB being the Syndicate – sitting in dark rooms, conspiring and plotting what to sell next – new toy trucks or shoddy lithos – and how to arouse buzz without releasing anything, e.g. by using old AfD cross logos for upcoming shows… 

But sir, there is a full album of new music that fans want to hear!

*Lights his cigarette*

"Burn it, burn it all"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, betterman said:

There has to be a new album ready for touring, there is no other time than now to finish up what they have. If they are not able to complete something during these covid-times they are never going to finish up the album. 

There is actually a possibility that they have material for several records with input from Duff and Slash. Lets hope they are piling up material like in the dark times (99-02)

I think Axl might have some severe psychological problems, almost like Brian Wilson and Syd Barrett, regarding letting new material out. He has no problem with touring it seems..

Your answer is in the last sentence...  Touring=millions for the guys

Releasing music= no millions for the guys

Therefore, step 1, rinse an repeat... 👍

Edited by bumcheecksmcghee

In fact, a big rock band like GNR will earn quite a bit on new music I think.

Even though the streaming income is pretty low for most bands/artist it will still generate a good bonus with millions of streams. On top of that GNR still have fans that actually buys the physical product.
It also will create buzz for the tour and generate more touring income

They can even do some of these deluxe box set versions that fans are gonna pay up for.

• Like 1

Lets say GNRs new album consists of 14 songs and they each get played like 5 million times on spotify. (AC/CD Shot in the dark pr. now has 13.7 million plays)

This will generate about 280 000 dollars for this one streaming application alone. You also generate income from streams from Tidal, Youtube etc and digital downloads on Itunes.

I think that in Axls head this is pure artistic integrity and he does not want a product out with the name GNR on it that is not holding up quality wise against AFD/UIY/CD.
We all hoped this would change with Duff and Slash in, but it seems like nothings changed.

• Like 1

The whole ‘there is no money in releasing new music’ argument is pish IMO. There is no downside to it and can only serve to AT LEAST keep touring attendances higher. Hell - just release it via streaming/download with limited physical copies via their website if needed.

Just look on this forum as a snapshot - there are loads of folk who saw them multiple times in NITL but have said can’t justify going again without something new. It’s a different world now and money is ever more precious too - for some it’s a real investment to buy that ticket. New music as opposed to a new lightshow is the best bet. Even a damned tour EP.