Unpopular GNR confessions

I was really disappointed by the return of Slash and Duff because I wanted to hear what the Bumble/Ashba/Stinson/Fortus/Dizzy crew were gonna whip together with Axl.

Also, I’d rather have Frank Ferrer as drummer, ahead of Sorum or Adler.

and finally, 2011-2012 was my favorite time to be a fan so far (saw them four times, and got to hang with the band after the 2012 show in AC.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JAxlMorrison said:

I was really disappointed by the return of Slash and Duff because I wanted to hear what the Bumble/Ashba/Stinson/Fortus/Dizzy crew were gonna whip together with Axl.

and finally, 2011-2012 was my favorite time to be a fan so far (saw them four times, and got to hang with the band after the 2012 show in AC.)

Take out Ashba's name and I agree with this. 

The reunion has been dullsville. 

• Like 1

As the years pass by, I seem more convinced that Bumble's involvement on Chinese Democracy didn't enhance it at all and to an extent, lessened the quality to some degree. The spaces on Chinese throughout the verses, where it's mostly Axl, Stinson and some Pitman fx really gave it a cool, punk vibe, much in line with the early performances of it. Bumble's fretless work over the top of it doesn't really do anything for me and takes away part of it's charm. He was the saving grace however in what was an otherwise bleak period in my opinion, seemed to be the only one engaging fans etc and seemed to understand our frustrations at nothing happening in regards to a follow up, so fair fucks to him for that. An album with everyone that you mentioned, but replacing Ashba with Finck, I could 100% get behind, however ideally, the rest of the material with Finck and Bucket would be my preference. 

I'm invested somewhat in this current line up and hoping that with Slash and Duff in the fold, new music may be more likely, yet here we are 4.5 years down the line and nothing! It'll happen though. 

Rose, Finck, Stinson, Bucket, Tobias, Brain, Pitman, Reed

What a fucking band. 

• Like 3

A hefty amount of UYI is unlistenable. This isn’t just to say it should have been one album. This is to say there are a lot of honest to god bad songs. GnR is a band of peaks, their greatest songs rank amongst the best released in popular music and hard rock, but the lows are so so low, the anti-AC/DC. 

idk if this is even unpopular but a 2002 Chinese Democracy with Bucket contributions would destroy what we did eventually hear. The Village leaks confirm it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

I think Robin Finck brought more to Guns N’ Roses than Slash since the reunion. Not classic Slash but he was an excellent replacement once he’d found his sound in the band.

plus: Better. One of the best songs GnR have done.

Better should have been a monster hit. Absolutely convinced if released properly with the video it would have got major rotation. It’s a brilliant tune.

Another example of WTF happened.

:facepalm:

Edited by DTJ80

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I honestly don't know if this will be a popular or unpopular opinion but I know it will be divisive so I will say it here - I think Oh My God is the best nuGNR era song and beats pretty much every track on the actual CD album

Axl's voice is nice and angry sounding, there is an aggression to the song that rocks so much harder than the rockers on CD, and the lyrics are ace

Agreed!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAxlMorrison said:

this pretty much. many of my favorite shows came from those days. 2012 Philly was gold and way better than 2016.

I judge anyone who believes any of the early mythology, such as that they were "like a gang" and 'homeless, street urchins.' They had homes/beds and mostly had families too. They were young people who liked to party, so they sometimes couched surfed just like a fucking upstanding suburbanite Uni student on summer break.

An all of them, with the exception of Izzy perhaps, wanted to get super huge from the jump. But they thought it would be cool to have this 'subversive, anti establishment street rats on the margins of society' image. They even started a fake indie label as part of crafting this street wise club band image. Meanwhile it was all just a manufactured image that they intended to take to the worlds stadiums.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I honestly don't know if this will be a popular or unpopular opinion but I know it will be divisive so I will say it here - I think Oh My God is the best nuGNR era song and beats pretty much every track on the actual CD album

Axl's voice is nice and angry sounding, there is an aggression to the song that rocks so much harder than the rockers on CD, and the lyrics are ace

Oh My God is a great song. One of Axl finest lyrical moments. It could have been one of his best songs if he had held it back for CD and reworked the vocals. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Towelie said:

Take out Ashba's name and I agree with this. 

The reunion has been dullsville. 

Although I was pleasantly surprised when the reunion talk started to be credible, deep down I feared that it would be the end of GnR as a creative entity.

Nearly five years later, nothing has happened to assuage these fears.

I enjoyed the 2006 and 2010 shows a lot more than 2017.

Considering what's been happening since 2016, I couldn't care less if Slash and Duff are in the band.

The dreadful state of Axl's voice totally ruined the GN'R experience for me.

I like every GN'R song.

I've never once paid to listen to AFD. The first version I had of it was a burned CD, complete with scanned and home printed album artwork. I just listened to that on repeat for years, until music became purely digital. 

And to be honest, I'm fairly underwhelmed by the reunion. But perhaps that's because I'm a cynical adult and not a 15 year old fangirl anymore. 

22 minutes ago, jonah said:

Slash is butchering pretty much every solo. Doesn’t matter if he wrote it or not. Ex. ISE was my favourite solo and his noodling of it now ruins it for me

I can't say I disagree.

Didn't he say it's partly because he gets a dry signal mix in his in-ear monitors now, so he can't hear how his effects are shaping the sound? So now that he doesn't have the benefit of hearing the feedback/FX/etc, he noodles more to compensate or something?