Jump to content

Unpopular GNR confessions


Recommended Posts

I like the OMG 1999 better than the Buckethead version, both live in 2001 and that BBF demo. I really think Dave Navarro's solo is kinda cool (I'm learning it right now).

 

16 hours ago, Pinball Wizard said:

And finally:

I think @Voodoochildwould be an amazing addition to the band, since he can play the gnr songs better than slash can do it nowadays. ♥️

Hahaha I would be playing in that same throne Axl used, my back wouldn't last for more than 20 min standing up. :laugh:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheGeneral said:

On every pro-shot there is of NITL, the band sounds absolutely shit. Not only Axl. It all sounds really clumsy and not well mixed.

It sounds like everyone had their say separately and didn’t talk about it.

 

so it sounds like GnR post fun times of 2006. 
 

Rock am Ring 2006 was Guns N’ Roses best show at a major festival and hasn’t been bettered since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

On every pro-shot there is of NITL, the band sounds absolutely shit. Not only Axl. It all sounds really clumsy and not well mixed.

Slash's playing is much better with SMKC. You can just see that he has a lot more fun with that band. He's a workaholic and I'm sure he enjoys playing new material much more than playing the same old hits night after night. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ant said:

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but it seems so bizarre to me to hear something radically different to what your audience is experiencing... speaking as a hack guitarist. Maybe that's why he has shifted to less gain in his recording, though. Like he was feeling some of his newfound nuance and attention to detail lost in the mud (even though he has always been zeroed in on tasteful with his distortion levels IMO).

 

 

Yeah, his explanation is odd to say the least.

He also used P-90 single coil pickups all over LTD. So they are also less saturated and sustained.

So, it’s a weird mix of things. Seems more intentional than he suggests in that interview.

But if NITL also destroyed his tone and therefore playing style.... I just can’t. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheGeneral said:
1 hour ago, soon said:

Yeah, his explanation is odd to say the least.

He also used P-90 single coil pickups all over LTD. So they are also less saturated and sustained.

So, it’s a weird mix of things. Seems more intentional than he suggests in that interview.

But if NITL also destroyed his tone and therefore playing style.... I just can’t. 

 

Nothing makes sense with GnR these days. It just sucks all around.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still pissed that Axl gave up in 2002. He had the most talented musicians on the planet and the world at his finger tips. Should have continued the tour. Should have released Chinese Democracy late 2002/early 2003. Should have made epic videos for There Was A Time, Better, and Street of Dreams. Should have promoted the hell out of it, kept the band together and keep releasing new albums.

The reunion sucks. Axl gave up on himself and his vision wasting away his talent and potential on cash grab touring of the oldies. The silver lining of COVID is that it curbed the boring, endless touring. Hoping their 2021 tour plans are dashed as well. 

Edited by DannyVinyard
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find it hard to believe with all the Village leaks, that "Oh My God" was the only song written of its kind. State of Grace comes close, but Oh My God sounds like literally no other village leak song

 

On topic: Im starting to like the drum machine/samples used in conjunction with acoustic drums

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DannyVinyard said:

I'm still pissed that Axl gave up in 2002. He had the most talented musicians on the planet and the world at his finger tips. Should have continued the tour. Should have released Chinese Democracy late 2002/early 2003. Should have made epic videos for There Was A Time, Better, and Street of Dreams. Should have promoted the hell out of it, kept the band together and keep releasing new albums.

The reunion sucks. Axl gave up on himself and his vision wasting away his talent and potential on cash grab touring of the oldies. The silver lining of COVID is that it curbed the boring, endless touring. Hoping their 2021 tour plans are dashed as well. 

Me too! It will give me an excuse not to to waste money onto a repetitive, criminally overcharged, half-assed-performed show with no new material, just for the sake of "seeing Guns N' Roses".

As for unpopular Gn'R confessions: I consider November Rain and Sweet Child O' Mine THE absolute lamest Gn'R songs, but then again that's not so uncommon on among the hardcore fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Screamin' Demon said:

Me too! It will give me an excuse not to to waste money onto a repetitive, criminally overcharged, half-assed-performed show with no new material, just for the sake of "seeing Guns N' Roses".

As for unpopular Gn'R confessions: I consider November Rain and Sweet Child O' Mine THE absolute lamest Gn'R songs, but then again that's not so uncommon on among the hardcore fans.

Im a hardcore fan and this i agree with. Would be happy to have off future setlists but that aint gonna happen.

In terms of danny vinyards post, i wonder if axl ever thinks about that period and has any "what if" regrets.

Edited by Sydney Fan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. I genuinely believe Slash has an RSI (repetitive stress injury) or arthritis in his left wrist and that's why he noodles more. I haven't heard him hit his bends the entirety of NITL. More notes and less bending moves the pressure to his fingers and right wrist. The face he makes when doing major bends like in NR or Estranged could be a rock star face, but I believe it's genuine pain.

2. I've never admitted this to anyone, but at my first GnR concert (2017), I didn't sleep well the night before. I napped on the drive up, but it wasn't enough, so by the time we hit November Rain, I was drifting in and out. It seemed to drag on for so long that I couldn't tell what was WYWH, what was Layla and what was actually NR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UseYourDemocracyIII said:

1. I genuinely believe Slash has an RSI (repetitive stress injury) or arthritis in his left wrist and that's why he noodles more. I haven't heard him hit his bends the entirety of NITL. More notes and less bending moves the pressure to his fingers and right wrist. The face he makes when doing major bends like in NR or Estranged could be a rock star face, but I believe it's genuine pain.

That's highly unlikely - he could simply use lighter strings, problem solved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 2014 tour was the highest of expectations and optimism I had for anything of significance to happen. If I recall correctly, that was the year that the tour ended with another Vegas residency. Rumours were rampant, there was talks of Bumblefoot leaving and not enjoying playing the same shit for years. Suddenly we get that out there, Axl pulls out fucking Yesterdays and Prostitute during the Vegas stint. I feel that was a last ditch effort to keep Ron on board. 

Also, this one I can't recall for sure, but didn't it come out after the reunion that 2015 was the year Axl was ready for another album before Bumble left and Ashba followed shortly afterwards? I could be wrong in the Ashba part, but I feel something around that time made Axl pivot from "New album let's go" to "K Beta call Slash" and I'd love to know that someday. 

Reunion wise, I'm beyond happy I got to see them in 2017. I never thought I'd personally see Slash and Axl share the stage, so that was a dream come true moment for sure. 3 years later, I'm over it until anything new comes out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2020 at 6:03 AM, DannyVinyard said:

I'm still pissed that Axl gave up in 2002. He had the most talented musicians on the planet and the world at his finger tips. Should have continued the tour. Should have released Chinese Democracy late 2002/early 2003. Should have made epic videos for There Was A Time, Better, and Street of Dreams. Should have promoted the hell out of it, kept the band together and keep releasing new albums.

The reunion sucks. Axl gave up on himself and his vision wasting away his talent and potential on cash grab touring of the oldies. The silver lining of COVID is that it curbed the boring, endless touring. Hoping their 2021 tour plans are dashed as well. 

This.

This is a brilliant thread and brought me out of long-term hibernation (also kudos to the poster who welcomed the newbie and told him/her not to doubt their knowledge).

The 2001/2 band were exceptional. I was at Leeds & London in 2002 and that was the time to drop the record. Something happened behind the scenes that destroyed Axl's belief in his vision and things have never been the same since. Watch the Vegas 01 show where he is so proud of the band and getting back on stage again to see what I mean. That band and those new songs were GNR to him, not a reunion. 

Whether you love the Appetite/Illusions line-ups or not (and who doesn't), it must be said that at some point between 2001-2006 something happened that made Axl give up on his dream. Because of that, we have what we have right now (and I still travelled to Johannesburg in 2018 to see them and had a great time). I hope they continue to be "active" whatever that is, but this isn't how Axl wanted it to turn out, I am sure of that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Hate to say it but 2010 was probably the best live incarnation of Guns n Roses with Axl being the best frontman in the world back then. He was in constant movement and was nailing every song.

Nowadays Axl looks as if he gave up. If you look at him in 2010 he was much much thinner. And that showed both in the moves and in singing. 

Someone should show him Jagger, Dickinson, or Tyler so maybe he would get his head around the idea that weight is important in keeping certain performance standards. And when you even look at him from 2016-2020 you will see how his performance declined with the weight gain.

 

Edited by Kranich
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...