Unpopular GNR confessions

5 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

The 2014 tour was the highest of expectations and optimism I had for anything of significance to happen. If I recall correctly, that was the year that the tour ended with another Vegas residency. Rumours were rampant, there was talks of Bumblefoot leaving and not enjoying playing the same shit for years. Suddenly we get that out there, Axl pulls out fucking Yesterdays and Prostitute during the Vegas stint. I feel that was a last ditch effort to keep Ron on board. 

Also, this one I can't recall for sure, but didn't it come out after the reunion that 2015 was the year Axl was ready for another album before Bumble left and Ashba followed shortly afterwards? I could be wrong in the Ashba part, but I feel something around that time made Axl pivot from "New album let's go" to "K Beta call Slash" and I'd love to know that someday. 

Reunion wise, I'm beyond happy I got to see them in 2017. I never thought I'd personally see Slash and Axl share the stage, so that was a dream come true moment for sure. 3 years later, I'm over it until anything new comes out.  

Some dates that come to mind for me,

We know CD2 was done by 2010. 

In axls rock n roll hall of fame open letter in 2012 he mentioned that he enjoyed the current lineup and that they all got along and he enjoyed the time on stage with them and wanted to keep doing music with that lineup. Hence him not wanting to reunite with the old lineup as part of the RRHOF induction.

In 2013 Axl gives Slash approval to licence to do a new GNR pinball. 

2014, duff tours with Nuguns.

2015 Axl makes the call to slash.

Something happened in 13/14 to start the seeds of the reunion to happen.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

In axls rock n roll hall of fame open letter in 2012 he mentioned that he enjoyed the current lineup and that they all got along and he enjoyed the time on stage with them and wanted to keep doing music with that lineup. Hence him not wanting to reunite with the old lineup.

In 2013 Axl gives Slash the go ahead to do a new GNR pinball. 

Something happened in 13/14 to start the deeds of the reunion to happen.

Exactly timeline 👍

49 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Didnt Bucket want axl to release CD of that year 06 and completely change the setlist to focus on the new songs and get rid of the old songs?.

Axl told Bucket, no to releasing the new album and he still wanted to keep playing the old songs as a way of keeping the old fans to then tranisting to the new stuff. 

But this line of thinking is wrong, because i think Axl did want to stop playing the old songs as he felt he could not relate to them anymore.

I think Axl should have stopped playing the new songs in 06, include a press release to tell people that the focus is on new material and not the old. Fans could then judge themselves whether they wanted to embrace the direction of the band. 

Something i think happened in 06 where it seemed Axl was to afraid to take one step forward and focus on the complete new lineup.

where did you hear that? 

Don't know if it's been listed but I fucking love My World. I was already, many years ago, into electronic/ industrial music from Wax Trax and Cleopatra Records so it was no  shock to me, sonically speaking. I think if it was fleshed out it might have gotten a pass. I know GNR is all about this hard and blues rock aesthetic. but it was so refreshing to hear something different than "the usual".  It is like a precursor Oh My God. Something other than just guitar rock which I think can get Really stale.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

The 2014 tour was the highest of expectations and optimism I had for anything of significance to happen. If I recall correctly, that was the year that the tour ended with another Vegas residency. Rumours were rampant, there was talks of Bumblefoot leaving and not enjoying playing the same shit for years. Suddenly we get that out there, Axl pulls out fucking Yesterdays and Prostitute during the Vegas stint. I feel that was a last ditch effort to keep Ron on board. 

Also, this one I can't recall for sure, but didn't it come out after the reunion that 2015 was the year Axl was ready for another album before Bumble left and Ashba followed shortly afterwards? I could be wrong in the Ashba part, but I feel something around that time made Axl pivot from "New album let's go" to "K Beta call Slash" and I'd love to know that someday. 

Reunion wise, I'm beyond happy I got to see them in 2017. I never thought I'd personally see Slash and Axl share the stage, so that was a dream come true moment for sure. 3 years later, I'm over it until anything new comes out.  

me as well. I was hyped back then, too bad things couldn't go in a different direction.

9 minutes ago, Sosso said:

@Sydney Fan I don't think that Bucket wanted to get rid of ALL the old songs in the setlist. He just wanted to shift the focus to the new songs. 

👍 from what ive read, and i dont know how true, but it seemed bucket was more insistant on wanting to rely more on the newer songs than old songs, release CD in 06 and completely phase out the old songs from the setlist. But axl seemed to drag his feet.......i wonder why.

Edit- having a look at the setlist of both the hammerstein shows and rock am ring 06 both setlists are heavy for both AFD and illusions material. I dont know how many years, axl could have reduced the setlist over time to even keep maybe 4 of those era songs, for new songs to be t he focus.

Edited by Sydney Fan

On 11/24/2020 at 10:02 PM, Sydney Fan said:

My theory has always been the reunion happened because Axl saw his cheque book going down as the only shows they could book in the US was the UCAP shows and a Vegas residency. As no promoter wanted to take the chance and book a real tour when their ticket sales kept declining. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonah said:

My theory has always been the reunion happened because Axl saw his cheque book going down as the only shows they could book in the US was the UCAP shows and a Vegas residency. As no promoter wanted to take the chance and book a real tour when their ticket sales kept declining. 

This is the biggest reason, they couldn’t even get booked in an arena in the US 

Riad n the Bedouins 1st verse going into the chorus is great, but when it goes back to the 2nd riff, with the dumbed down, simplified riff, it loses all momentum and starts sucking. the 2nd chorus is the best chorus.

Neither Robin Fincks, Bucketheads, or Bumblefoots solos are particularly good, but the variations of the riffs that go behind the solo are well arranged

The chorus is extremely catchy.

Axl is the weakpoint of Scraped. The riffs are actually A1.

If the World is an extremely well written song, just doesn't go over well with people who expect blues hard rock

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 3:02 AM, Sydney Fan said:

In axls rock n roll hall of fame open letter in 2012 he mentioned that he enjoyed the current lineup and that they all got along and he enjoyed the time on stage with them and wanted to keep doing music with that lineup. Hence him not wanting to reunite with the old lineup as part of the RRHOF induction.

In 2013 Axl gives Slash approval to licence to do a new GNR pinball. 

I thought it was quite obvious what happened. The attendance was getting smaller and smaller. What was he supposed to do? Another Vegas residency? Settle for theaters? Axl had nowhere to go. Bumblefoot was on his way out, Tommy was becoming unreliable, Pitman overbearing probably, Dizzy dull as always.

Axl had a choice. Either replace the replacements that replaced the replacements of Slash and Duff or take his last chance to make some big $$$ and ride off into the sunset.

The reunion happened. Ok, his choice, I can't really blame him for that but I though it was such a hypocritical two-faced move considering the thing he's said and done in the past. 

Just to make this clear I'm not against the old band reuniting, that would be absurd, after all this is my favourite band, but the circumstances surrounding it made me lose SO MUCH respect for Axl.

Not only did he do it for the money he also had the audacity to insinuate that a reunion somewhere along the line was always in the cards. WHAT? No it fucking wasn't. Not according to the man himself. And he reiterated this over and over again. And then went back on his word completely.

Not for the fans nor the artistic purposes let alone musical integrity. 

Axl has proven he's not the unwavering musical genius and visionary with loads of integrity as he pretended to be but for all intents and purposes a washed up has been willing to suck it up for the big bucks. 

It's his life and his choice. I just find it disappointing.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sisyphus said:

I thought it was quite obvious what happened. The attendance was getting smaller and smaller. What was he supposed to do? Another Vegas residency? Settle for theaters? Axl had nowhere to go. Bumblefoot was on his way out, Tommy was becoming unreliable, Pitman overbearing probably, Dizzy dull as always.

Axl had a choice. Either replace the replacements that replaced the replacements of Slash and Duff or take his last chance to make some big $$$ and ride off into the sunset.

The reunion happened. Ok, his choice, I can't really blame him for that but I though it was such a hypocritical two-faced move considering the thing he's said and done in the past. 

Just to make this clear I'm not against the old band reuniting, that would be absurd, after all this is my favourite band, but the circumstances surrounding it made me lose SO MUCH respect for Axl.

Not only did he do it for the money he also had the audacity to insinuate that a reunion somewhere along the line was always in the cards. WHAT? No it fucking wasn't. Not according to the man himself. And he reiterated this over and over again. And then went back on his word completely.

Axl has proven he's not the unwavering musical genius and visionary with loads of integrity as he pretended to be but for all intents and purposes a washed up has been willing to suck it up for the big bucks. 

You know, when Jimmy Kimmel says to Axl in that "interview".... when GnR starts makin money as professionals. Axl says: IDK IF IM MAKIN MONEY NOW. So i think 2012 was a bad moment. And he make that interview to try to promote himself bc the lack of money.

15 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Slash was making money prior to the reunion, and so was Axl. If the attendance numbers were getting smaller, that can only be credited to the fact that – like in the recent years – the tour was dragged out for years on without any significant changes in the playlist or otherwise (apart from Axl’s ever deteriorating form). They had “tons” of music – Axl could have released CD 2 around 2011 and attract new interest, larger audience. Instead, they didn’t even manage to release the Better video, for god’s sake. A new album, proper promotion, a music video, merchandize, another DVD… none of this happened. Not to mention the initial sabotage in 2008/09. I believe DJ left because he’d been aware of the reunion plans. BBF leaving couldn’t have been that much of a problem, especially considering he was barely present in the making of the only album they had at that time, i.e. CD. 
I definitely cannot agree that Axl had no other options or that the main driving force of the reunion was undoubtedly money. The financial side couldn’t have been completely disregarded, obviously, but ask yourself this: would you have been claiming this back in, say, 2017? Particularly if the tour ended there and a new album was announced for 2018? I don’t think so; I think we’re all affected by the current tiresome situation.
I have to admit, it did start to look like a pure money thing in 2018. That baffles me. The touring post 2017 has been redundant and making things worse on all levels. Absolutely. 

As for the reunion being / not being always in the cards – we don’t really know, do we. Axl said in 2001 that he would have admitted Slash to one of the 2001 gigs if Slash apologized publicly as to what he’d said about him. Axl said “not in this lifetime” in 2013, but I guess the journalists had been pestering him about it all the time, so no big surprise there. But even if he was hell bent not to ever do it, people change opinions. Maybe he came to some realization, made peace with something, maybe Duff had a say in this, who knows. But it’s pretty clear it needed a lot of time. 
As usual – we can’t claim things, and that is the point. Let’s realize all we have is assumptions. If you’re humble enough to know this, all is fine. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

CD should have been released in 06 which i have read BH was pestering axl to do. 

Should that have happened they could have released CD 09/10. But the question is would we still have ended up with the reunion in 2016?.

From Downzys comment where axl was planned to release a new album in 2016, i would have to ask why?. 

Tthe band were playing literally theatres. What buzz would a new album do, with the nuguns lineup had nuguns dtayed together?.

The reunion was for the money. Axl had a band in 06 with musicianship that could have helped him acheive whatever vision he had that woukd have shaken the monkey off his back with the old line up. 

Im no CD or nuguns fan, but would have alot of respect for axl if he shot out 2 albums from 06, with the band he had at the time. In 06 if he would have contemplated the reunion it would have been a strictly business decision. Which would have been a stale experience for the fans.

I think 06 was for axl one of those sliding door moments. He didnt see a new album through and he really fucked it up. 

I wouldnt have a clue how much axl gets from royalties etc but i bet axl would under californian law, pay a hefty land tax bill for his malibu home that playing theatres, and normal touring expenses, wouldnt cover with how much the band would have been making from 2013 to 14.

Edited by Sydney Fan

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Slash was making money prior to the reunion, and so was Axl. If the attendance numbers were getting smaller, that can only be credited to the fact that – like in the recent years – the tour was dragged out for years on without any significant changes in the playlist or otherwise (apart from Axl’s ever deteriorating form). They had “tons” of music – Axl could have released CD 2 around 2011 and attract new interest, larger audience. Instead, they didn’t even manage to release the Better video, for god’s sake. A new album, proper promotion, a music video, merchandize, another DVD… none of this happened. Not to mention the initial sabotage in 2008/09. I believe DJ left because he’d been aware of the reunion plans. BBF leaving couldn’t have been that much of a problem, especially considering he was barely present in the making of the only album they had at that time, i.e. CD. 
I definitely cannot agree that Axl had no other options or that the main driving force of the reunion was undoubtedly money. The financial side couldn’t have been completely disregarded, obviously, but ask yourself this: would you have been claiming this back in, say, 2017? Particularly if the tour ended there and a new album was announced for 2018? I don’t think so; I think we’re all affected by the current tiresome situation.
I have to admit, it did start to look like a pure money thing in 2018. That baffles me. The touring post 2017 has been redundant and making things worse on all levels. Absolutely. 

As for the reunion being / not being always in the cards – we don’t really know, do we. Axl said in 2001 that he would have admitted Slash to one of the 2001 gigs if Slash apologized publicly as to what he’d said about him. Axl said “not in this lifetime” in 2013, but I guess the journalists had been pestering him about it all the time, so no big surprise there. But even if he was hell bent not to ever do it, people change opinions. Maybe he came to some realization, made peace with something, maybe Duff had a say in this, who knows. But it’s pretty clear it needed a lot of time. 
As usual – we can’t claim things, and that is the point. Let’s realize all we have is assumptions. If you’re humble enough to know this, all is fine. 

Obviously I'm not an insider. All of my opinions are based on my perception of their actions and little tidbits of information.

When you say "Slash was making money and so was Axl" I get the feeling you don't really understand the financial magnitude of this reunion. Their earnings were nothing compared to what they made in the last four years. Also if you consider the details of Slash's settlement with Perla I think Slash would be on the verge of struggling if there wasn't for a GN'R reunion. I genuinely believe it was about money for everyone involved. Look at the timing. Axl's been deteriorating, the time was running out. I don't think that's coincidental but I respect if you feel differently.

Regarding the "tons of music", I think a lot less is finished than people tend to believe. Honestly. Axl's not sitting on a gold mine. He didn't put his second best efforts on Chinese. At least in my opinion. Sure there are songs but I doubt much of it will ever see the light of day. The sabotage of 2008/2009 was all on Axl. Everything that he didn't do is on Axl. Nothing's changed in that regard.

Yes Axl could do many things to keep GN'R relevant and interesting. Exactly. But instead of doing the hard work he took the easy way out with a reunion.

And to answer your question. Had the tour ended in 2017 and a new album announced for 2018 I'd be absolutely over the moon but I'd still believe it was done for the money. I wouldn't be romanticizing this reunion one bit.

I agree Axl had other options than a reunion but only if he was willing to replace the replacements of the replacements. It was becoming a joke. His popularity was probably at an all time low. He could go on probably with new Guns but for a fraction of the money he's making now. He would also have to settle for smaller and smaller venues. It would become harder and harder to sustain an 8-piece band, luxury travels and an army of leeches.

Bumblefoot leaving would be a problem in regards to live shows. 

As for the reunion... I'm a fan of this band since 98/99. If you think that "not in this lifetime" was Axl's rare public oppositon of a reunion you're wrong. Axl said either he or Slash would die before they'd be in the same room again. Axl called Slash a cancer. Axl made fun of Izzy on stage. Axl insinuated Duff being at the same hotel than him in 2010 wasn't a coincidence. Axl explicitly stated in a Del James interview that he would not even consider a reunion with Appetite or Illusion line-ups.

Axl always gave the impression that a reunion is not a viable option. Axl suggested that he prefers the new band. Axl refused to go to the rock hall of fame induction because his new band wasn't getting the recogniton. That same band he ditched just a few years later for a reunion. Axl didn't want to be in the same room with Slash let alone the same band. Axl's absolute refusal to have anything to do with the old band was well documented and it went on for almost 20 years.

There was NOTHING to suggest he would soften his stance until the GN'R brand started crumbling. He expressed deep resentment bordering on hate towards Slash on multiple occasions for two decades. That statement "not in this lifetime" is just a small drop in a gigantic bucket.

For someone that supposedly pulled out a notebook and pester Izzy about the things he said in 1982 he sure is a lot more lenient towards himself.

All of that being said, he's still allowed to change his mind. But I feel he shouldn't have gone so deep and so far in his "old Guns is dead and buried" if he was planning to go back on his word. A lot of people sided with him ather the break-up and his 180 degrees turn was a slap in the face in a way.

Edited by Sisyphus

44 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

Obviously I'm not an insider. All of my opinions are based on my perception their actions and little tidbits of information.

When you say "Slash was making money and so was Axl" I get the feeling you don't really understand the financial magnitude of this reunion. Their earnings were nothing compared to what they made in the last four years. Also if you consider the details of Slash's settlement with Perla I think Slash would be on the verge of struggling if there wasn't for a GN'R reunion. I genuinely believe it was about money for everyone involved. Look at the timing. Axl's been deteriorating, the time was running out. I don't think that's coincidental but I respect if you feel differently.

Regarding the "tons of music", I think a lot less is finished than people tend to believe. Honestly. Axl's not sitting on a gold mine. He didn't put his second best efforts on Chinese. At least in my opinion. Sure there are songs but I doubt much of it will ever see the light of day. The sabotage of 2008/2009 was all on Axl. Everything that he didn't do is on Axl. Nothing's changed in that regard.

Yes Axl could do many things to keep GN'R relevant and interesting. Exactly. But instead of doing the hard work he took the easy way out with a reunion.

And to answer your question. Had the tour ended in 2017 and a new album announced for 2018 I'd be absolutely over the moon but I'd still believe it was done for the money. I wouldn't be romanticizing this reunion one bit.

I agree Axl had other options than a reunion but only if he was willing to replace the replacements of the replacements. It was becoming a joke. His popularity was probably at an all time low. He could go on probably with new Guns but for a fraction of the money he's making now. He would also have to settle for smaller and smaller venues. It would become harder and harder to sustain an 8-piece band, luxury travels and an army of leeches.

Bumblefoot leaving would be a problem in regards to live shows. 

As for the reunion... I'm a fan of this band since 98/99. If you think that "not in this lifetime" was Axl's rare public oppositon of a reunion you're wrong. Axl said either he or Slash would die before they'd be in the same room again. Axl called Slash a cancer. Axl made fun of Izzy on stage. Axl insinuated Duff being at the same hotel than him in 2010 wasn't a coincidence. Axl explicitly stated in a Del James interview that he would not even consider a reunion with Appetite or Illusion line-ups.

Axl always gave the impression that a reunion is not a viable option. Axl suggested that he prefers the new band. Axl refused to go rock hall induction because his new band wasn't getting the recogniton. That same band he ditched just a few years later for a reunion. Axl didn't want to be in the same rome with Slash let alone the same band. Axl's absolute refusal to have anything to do with the old band was well documented and it went on for almost 20 years.

There was NOTHING to suggest he would soften his stance until the GN'R brand started crumbling. He expressed deep resentment bordering on hate towards Slash on multiple occasions for two decades. That statement "not in this lifetime" is just a small drop in a gigantic bucket.

For someone that supposedly pulled out a notebook and pester Izzy about the things he said in 1982 he sure is a lot more lenient towards himself.

All of that being said, he's still allowed to change his mind. But I feel he shouldn't have gone so deep and so far in his "old Guns is dead and buried" if he was planning to go back on his word. A lot of people sided with him ather the break-up and his 180 degrees turn was a slap in the face in a way.

I definitely comprehend the financial aspect – I didn’t say they had been making the same money; it was nowhere near it, but it was a stable income nonetheless. Regardless of declining numbers or divorces, they would have been fine. A couple of new releases, a tour, and you’re off the hook. 
As for the unreleased catalogue, let’s not forget that the initial Village sessions are just a part of what probably exists, and I’m positive at least one other album – especially considering that Axl said so himself after the CD release – could have been out by ca 2011 or whatever. 
I do agree the initial sabotage was all on Axl. It didn’t help any selling numbers though, that was the point. 
All he had to do was release the sequel and have better management in terms of promotion (videos etc.). The reunion may feel like an easy way out, but: a) it apparently requires constant touring; b) at some point, a record will have to be released. A record that will get mercilessly compared with AfD and UYI. The last time these guys released something original was five presidents ago. Think about it. Doesn’t look like a particularly easier way out to me. But it does from the financial perspective for now, I understand that. 

I respect that if you think it was mainly about dough. But like I said, all he had to do was change things around. Did he really need 3 guitarists after the tour was over? Army of leeches? 
As for Axl’s dissing the former Gunners – I’m very aware of this. What I meant was even though this was the way he felt back then, he could have reached certain changes in his mind set; like I said, people grow and change opinions. Maybe it wasn’t the case – but why not give him the benefit of the doubt? 
I can see that this turnaround would suggest the money being the main – if not the only – factor, I get it. But I’ve already said it here somewhere that Axl never came off to me as a predominantly money-driven person. He refused to be bought prior to AfD release back in the day (don’t remember the story exactly), he kept refusing reunion offers, see Prostitute etc. He’s kind of a nutcase, that's for sure, but he seems honest to me. Always has. A real person, with rich inner world, and one of the last true rock stars, not just some fucking poser. So why wouldn’t I try seeing something other in this reunion than just money being the engine. There’s still that fact they would have been making stable income even without it – albeit much less. It wasn’t like they would have ended up on the street, as some people almost seem to portray it. They'd been wealthy, famous musicians after all. The possibilities had been many. 
The fact that NuGuns sort of started to fall apart was caused by the same old same old – constant stale touring, no new material out, no proper promotion and all the things other bands do. Like these days. Had the situation been different, the two guitarists would have stayed (Ron pretty much implied these things), or Axl could have hired someone else, at worst. 

No, I just don’t buy the strictly-money version. Everything else sucks, that’s true. But this is just too cynical to me, and I see no reason for that. 
It's like that same thing with Slash – when he said the other day they'd been working on a new album, and people here claimed it bullshit. And I said: why? When was the last time Slash lied about working on an album? So I have no reason not to believe him. 
And I have no reason not to believe Axl, although... he hasn't really said much about this whole thing, has he... 
My 2 cents. 

• Like 2

we only have a renuion tour seem appartley slash had to pay half his money to the ex wife plus csa for his kids and she was his manager or something and with no prenub she took half it  

i am am massive guns fan but i think in my opioion its time to hang up the boots and retire he can sometimes sound brill but alot not  its been the same set list for 4 years with songs adeed now and then noone looks happy it is all about money as they make some amount of money touring  but there again noone should be skint lol