New Slash interviews (The Oakland Press, Spin Magazine)

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Yeah Rick was totally correct.  I was young when that album came out so anything from VR was good in my books at the time but nowadays re-evaluating it the songs just aren't there, for the most part. 

Some of those songs were cool live once they had played them a bit but some of it is kind of forgettable.

Not a music expert by any means but if Gibbo is correct and the band have only just finished pre production in the last few months then we are fuckin light years off an album still. Now if we’d heard that it was being mixed/mastered I’d be a happy chappie 😫

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Yeah Rick was totally correct.  I was young when that album came out so anything from VR was good in my books at the time but nowadays re-evaluating it the songs just aren't there, for the most part. 

Imo Gravedancer is the best song on that record and there are a few other good ones but Gravedancer is the best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Not a music expert by any means but if Gibbo is correct and the band have only just finished pre production in the last few months then we are fuckin light years off an album still. Now if we’d heard that it was being mixed/mastered I’d be a happy chappie 😫

To put a positive spin on it - I read it as pre-production was DONE 5 months ago.....although the waiting for Axl bit is a bit unknown. Waiting on vocals (does that mean no ‘old’ ones being used)? Waiting on his take/approval on structural stuff?

Im one of the positive folk on here and the fact this has been put out there by Gibbo does make me more convinced it’s when not if.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Imo Gravedancer is the best song on that record and there are a few other good ones but Gravedancer is the best.

Yeah that is a decent tune for sure.  I also dug Gas & A Dollar Laugh and am honestly baffled as to how they could leave that to just a mere regional bonus track and not a main album track!  

• 2 weeks later...

Fucking pinball mashines, I don't even bother to read those interviews anymore.

If they don't get managed to make a record as long as covid prevents them from doing anything else, I'm just not interested. We/I gave them a lot of benefits of the doubt in the past, but if they won't announce a release date for the next start of the tour (whenever this will be) we have proof that this band has found an end artistically wise. That would be proof that Axl and Slash aren't able to create something that good, that they need the feel to release it under the GNR name. If the next tour starts without an official release date, then every interview they have given so far, or might give in the future, isn't worth anything. Regardless who's the one who gets interviewed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Free Bird said:

If they don't get managed to make a record as long as covid prevents them from doing anything else, I'm just not interested. We/I gave them a lot of benefits of the doubt in the past, but if they won't announce a release date for the next start of the tour (whenever this will be) we have proof that this band has found an end artistically wise. That would be proof that Axl and Slash aren't able to create something that good, that they need the feel to release it under the GNR name. If the next tour starts without an official release date, then every interview they have given so far, or might give in the future, isn't worth anything. Regardless who's the one who gets interviewed. 

I don't think it's really up to Slash anymore.

16 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I don't think it's really up to Slash anymore.

if it was up to Slash we'd have a new Guns album every 2-3 years. Some of the best Appetite era Gn'R songs were written pretty quickly and worked on for a couple of years tops. Not how Axl does it now. when Slash quit Guns in '96 he fucked shit up but I believe that there will come a point where Slash will finish all his work on a next Guns album and it will just sit there for a few more years so Axl can properly tinker with it.

at least I have The Conspirators to experience some new Slash compositions as we wait 5 more years for Gn'R to move forward artistically. but that's kinda the nature of the beast when you're a Gn'R fan. :shrugs:

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rovim said:

if it was up to Slash we'd have a new Guns album every 2-3 years. Some of the best Appetite era Gn'R songs were written pretty quickly and worked on for a couple of years tops. Not how Axl does it now. when Slash quit Guns in '96 he fucked shit up but I believe that there will come a point where Slash will finish all his work on a next Guns album and it will just sit there for a few more years so Axl can properly tinker with it.

at least I have The Conspirators to experience some new Slash compositions as we wait 5 more years for Gn'R to move forward artistically. but that's kinda the nature of the beast when your a Gn'R fan. :shrugs:

I don't know if Slash leaving fucked things up. In 2002 when Axl discussed the 96 sessions he said Slash was making the "1996 Aerosmith Rocks" then immediately corrected himself to say "2000 Aerosmith Rocks". I think it always going to take forever once Axl got control of the name.

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I won't expect anything as good as they did back in the day if they release anything that only involves Axl, Slash and Duff. They can easily make a great rock record, but not as great as the old ones. 
The key to emulate the old recipe is only one person. Izzy fucking Stradlin. Sadly he will never rejoin them.

7 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

I won't expect anything as good as they did back in the day if they release anything that only involves Axl, Slash and Duff. They can easily make a great rock record, but not as great as the old ones. 
The key to emulate the old recipe is only one person. Izzy fucking Stradlin. Sadly he will never rejoin them.

I think you're missing the point by talking about what isn't there anymore without talking about the value of what might still be there, musically. Chemistry between all 3 remaining original members could still be there and they can make a great Guns record and that's enough cause that's the best case scenario, what every active band should do even if the very best is behind them. I think it could be another cool different chapter like Chinese was to me. Not as good as the old records imo but I still really like the album and think it's an important part of the catalog. The same should happen with Slash and Duff back in the band.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think you're missing the point by talking about what isn't there anymore without talking about the value of what might still be there, musically. Chemistry between all 3 remaining original members could still be there and they can make a great Guns record and that's enough cause that's the best case scenario, what every active band should do even if the very best is behind them. I think it could be another cool different chapter like Chinese was to me. Not as good as the old records imo but I still really like the album and think it's an important part of the catalog. The same should happen with Slash and Duff back in the band.

That's exactly what I said buddy. 

10 hours ago, GoForJMark said:

I think no-one expects the same quality anymore. It's not even about Izzy. I mean, of course he was a main part of GNR but it's not the same time anymore, the band members got older, personalities have changed, the attitude is gone, their lifes are different, no drugs, no fights, lots of money, therefore different topics. Even with Izzy the music wouldn't be the same.

BUT I thought they've something left to tell in them, especially after reuniting after so many years. I thought that could have been an inspiration. An incentive. But seemingly I was wrong.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I think no-one expects the same quality anymore. It's not even about Izzy. I mean, of course he was a main part of GNR but it's not the same time anymore, the band members got older, personalities have changed, the attitude is gone, their lifes are different, no drugs, no fights, lots of money, therefore different topics. Even with Izzy the music wouldn't be the same.

BUT I thought they've something left to tell in them, especially after reuniting after so many years. I thought that could have been an inspiration. An incentive. But seemingly I was wrong.

I dont know. Izzy and axl go way back, as Indiana boys. Izzy did shows with the nuguns guys, irrespective that izzy was rehearsing and writing with slash and duff, and matt back in 03. I hope if there is any new songs , izzy gets the call.

I still think they can write, with izzy, the same attitude like dust n bones.

Edited by Sydney Fan

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I dont know. Izzy and axl go way back, as Indiana boys. Izzy did shows with the nuguns guys, irrespective that izzy was rehearsing and writing with slash and duff, and matt back in 03. I hope if there is any new songs , izzy gets the call.

I still think they can write, with izzy, the same attitude like dust n bones.

The more guys from the classic line up are involved in the writing the better but I still don't think they'll be able to reproduce the same attitude as back in the day because of the reasons I wrote in the post before.

The full version of the Oakland Press interview has been posted here:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2020/12/slashs-new-pinball-game-brings-concert-experience-to-guns-n-roses-fans-in-a-new-format.html

You’re making an album with Myles (Kennedy) and the Conspirators, right?

Slash: We did a week of initial pre-production and there’s 20 songs and we’re gonna start back up next year. I spent a lot of time writing and demoing that stuff. And prior to that Duff (McKagan) and I did some jamming and we also worked on the Guns record, and I’ve had a couple of ancillary recordings and jams on top of that, so there’s been a lot of stuff going on. I’m really not good at slowing down and just sitting around.

When do you think we’ll hear some of this music?

Slash: I would like to think that we’d have some new stuff out next year -- from both camps, I guess. It’s hard to say, but I would like to think we’ll have stuff out next year, yeah.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...