Happy 12th Birthday, Chinese Democracy

23 hours ago, seely said:

Chinese Democracy is 12 years old today! Still we wait for that elusive follow up...

By comparison, the same amount of time (just about, anyway) has passed between CD's release and now, as there was between Slash leaving and CD coming out... 

That is bonkers to think.  The band played new tracks, what, four or five years after Slash left?

That would be the same equivalent of a new song being played in 2013 or so - which definitely has not happened.  I believe the VH1 Behind the Music had a line about how GNR could have been the new Rolling Stones.  Can you imagine if GNR had that kind of work rate?

Edited by Spike Killer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sausagebrain said:

Part of me still can't believe that it was actually released in the end.

Not that I don't like what was released. I do. A lot. It's just that the whole saga still seems so unlikely.

Agreed with you - especially considering we’ve had the reunion (almost 5 years since it was announced) and absolutely nothing in regards to new music, quite impressive that CD was actually released. I’m really glad it did see the light of day, it’s still probably my favourite album even if it is flawed and is missing some great village sessions tunes.

12 years. I remember a time when I thought it was never going to happen.

'Chinese Democracy', 'Shacklers Revenge', 'Better', 'There Was A Time' & 'Prostitute' are real highlights for me.

Too bad 'Atlas Shrugged', 'Perhaps' & 'State of Grace' were not officially released.

2006 - 2010 Axl's best years post UYI. Neither the 2016 reunion or AC/DC shows were on that level.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, downzy said:

The same amount of time has between between now and CD's release as Axl's 1996 fax and the release of CD. 

The 1996-2008 period felt like an eternity.  The last twelve years went by fairly quickly in my opinion. 

The 2009/2010 tours were amazing. 

2011-2015, not so much. 

The reunion was was fantastic, up to a point.  Once 2018 rolled around and it was the same tour things started to get old.

As for the album itself, I rarely listen to it anymore.  But it's important to consider that we were all listening to the album in one form or another for nearly ten years before its release.  It represents a time in my life that I consider formative and for that I'll look back at it fondly.  Better, TWAT, Madagascar are some of the best GNR songs produced in my opinion.

It's a shame there has been no follow up to this point.  In 2015 GNR management told me that an album was slated for 2016.  But as with all things GNR, plans changed with the departure of Bumble and DJ and the return of Slash and Duff.

As some have stated, I think in many ways we should consider ourselves lucky that we actually got to buy the album.  I don't think it was inevitable that it was going to come out (though the financial constraints on the album's release were considerable).  Buying the album, hearing it performed live (with some of Axl's best vocals of the past twenty years), meeting Axl a couple of times, seeing Axl, Slash and Duff share a stage again.  It's not been a bad 12 years for this GNR fan.  It could have and should have been so much more.  But if you told me back in 2007 that what I experienced in the last twelve years was going to happen I would have taken it with a smile on my face.  

I would be curious to hear about your interactions with Axl. 

• Like 1

Still love the album and I frequently play it from top to bottom! I don't love every song, but there's at least 10 great songs on there! 

I cannot believe that it's 2020 and there's not even a remote chance of a follow up for at least another year (if we're lucky). 

I was listening to a Wolfgang Van Halen interview with Trunk, Trunk asked why there was very little output since 1995s Balance. Wolf said that Eddie had gotten older and his priorities and desire to make music had changed, he said that Eddie still loved to play and record stuff but it just wasn't top of his list of prioritise to release and tour it. I heard this and thought "Axl". Maybe it's not the case for Axl? but it certainly seems like the answer to why it's been 12 years since his last album. No other explanation makes sense to me. I really hate whats happened to this band, coulda shoulda woulda!🥺 but!! if CD is the final album that Axl ever releases, he went out with a bang! 

The Wolfgang interview is good, check it out! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

My favorite GN'R album. Such a bummer that nothing else has been released since but I'm very happy to have finally been able to buy Chinese Democracy 

I've grown to more than appreciate the record, I've had this theory--especially after the village sessions leaked--that if Axl released CD as a solo record, and dropped the GN'R name for it, he would've had more control and a green light from the label. I'm not one of those people that thinks it's dumb for a band to continue in that manner (with only a sole original member) but I just think such high expectations don't mix well with wanting to create such an experimental new sound for a band 

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I've grown to more than appreciate the record, I've had this theory--especially after the village sessions leaked--that if Axl released CD as a solo record, and dropped the GN'R name for it, he would've had more control and a green light from the label. I'm not one of those people that thinks it's dumb for a band to continue in that manner (with only a sole original member) but I just think such high expectations don't mix well with wanting to create such an experimental new sound for a band 

I completely agree with all of this.

I think he would have been given the promotional dollar and support like snakepit was. Geffen also funded and financially supported the Snakepit tour and covered all promotion.

The release of the album was to little to late. My view, The material that was on the final copy, fails in comparison to how well some of the material that axl handed to the record company in 98/99. CD sounds to layered compared to the 99 material. The 99 material sounds more organic.

If fans prefer the 0 8 material, more power to them. I understand the album was the first GNR record they heard, so theres alot of love for that record.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

Happy birthday to the album that turned me into a hardcore GN'R fan.

Crazy to think the followup has not yet been released, which was presumably ready by the time CD came out, if not earlier as indicated by the Axl Rose interview on the Eddie Trunk radio show in 2006 where he said about 2.5 albums worth of material was done.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

Happy birthday to the album that turned me into a hardcore GN'R fan.

Crazy to think the followup has not yet been released, which was presumably ready by the time CD came out, if not earlier as indicated by the Axl Rose interview on the Eddie Trunk radio show in 2006 where he said about 2.5 albums worth of material was done.

12 years on, still a very underrated album from @gunsnroses . Loved the mystery, intrigue, and the ever-evolving mythology over the years from sessions to the eventual release. Waiting on Round 2!

• Like 1