This I Love - Guitar Lesson - YouTube

17 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Can you send to Slash and Megan on every single social platform please?

LOL! 

What weird is that Slash started out playing the TIL solo pretty well. Then somewhere around the middle of the first leg of the touring, he just stopped caring altogether. 

I'd love it if Robin got to play his own solo someday OR if anyone in GN'R would play it as well as Carl does here. 

• Like 1

I always thought that Robin was, in part, bringing a deconstructed Slash style to some of this solo. So its baffled me why Slash cant seem to get into it better. (Or maybe having it deconstructed is what fucks him up - gets in his head)

Stuff like big bends, often sustained and hinting towards feedback. Bluesy box patterns (again, often deconstructed). Solos you can hum as there own melodies. And especially that modal flare Slash uses on songs including DTJ and SCOM (Mixolydian??)

3 minutes ago, soon said:

I always thought that Robin was, in part, bringing a deconstructed Slash style to some of this solo. So its baffled me why Slash cant seem to get into it better. (Or maybe having it deconstructed is what fucks him up - gets in his head)

Stuff like big bends, often sustained and hinting towards feedback. Bluesy box patterns (again, often deconstructed). Solos you can hum as there own melodies. And especially that modal flare Slash uses on songs including DTJ and SCOM (Mixolydian??)

Slash can't bend for shit these days, which is part of the problem I think. That and he thinks the song is gay and can't be fucked. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BreakDown2014 said:

No one but Robin can play it right, it has his style all over it. Such a beautiful solo

The dude teaching in this video doesn't a pretty damn good job. At the very least, he plays it far better then the two people who've tried in GN'R since Robin left. 

10 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Yeah the guy covering it does a stellar job!

One of the big new-GNR regrets for me is that we never got to see Robin perform this live. :(

100%

Despite the fact he toured in support of the record over the course of 6 years, I'd have loved for him to have been involved in the touring beyond it's release. Losing Finck was a bigger blow to Guns N' Roses than it was with Bucket IMO. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Yeah the guy covering it does a stellar job!

One of the big new-GNR regrets for me is that we never got to see Robin perform this live. :(

I remain thankful that I at least got to see Robin play his own TWAT solo at the first Hammerstein show but I remain so bummed that none of us ever got to hear him do TIL even once. 

4 hours ago, Dean said:

100%

Despite the fact he toured in support of the record over the course of 6 years, I'd have loved for him to have been involved in the touring beyond it's release. Losing Finck was a bigger blow to Guns N' Roses than it was with Bucket IMO. 

Absolutely. I feel like no one but me felt that way when Robin left though lol

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I remain thankful that I at least got to see Robin play his own TWAT solo at the first Hammerstein show but I remain so bummed that none of us ever got to hear him do TIL even once. 

Absolutely. I feel like no one but me felt that way when Robin left though lol

It took me a couple of years to reach that conclusion. I was gutted when he left, though the confirmation never really happened until Ashba was announced, I still remember the thread prior to the release of Chinese of Finck sat in the studio with NIN that many of us assumed that was him out. Obviously touring was a big thing for him so you can understand his reluctance at not wanting to sit about for potentially a couple of years waiting on the word from Axl. I was open minded about a replacement, but even musically the band didn’t sound as tight as 06/07 from 09 onwards. Ashba’s tone wasn’t pleasant to my ears. It was at some point in 2010 that I realized how much of an integral part Robin was and I’d bet that it was a huge blow to Axl aswell, especially with Finck being all over material he’s sat on. As much as I love how Axl has mended his relationship with Slash and Duff, personally I’d take 2001-2007 lineups over any other incarnation of Guns N’ Roses any day of the week. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nesret said:

There is simply no excuse for Slash to fuck up this solo or any other solo from CD. You would think that he has some kind of "guitarist-pride". Possible reasons for me:

- He doesn't bother to learn it (--> that would be lazy)

- He thinks he plays it better (--> that would be ignorant)

- He hates the song and that's why he doesn't care about it (--> that would be a very poor mindset to have in his position)

However you want to look at it, it's just a shame. He just wants to play the same stuff he has always played - I don't see him as the guy constantly trying to improve or who wants to learn new things and techniques, he's been stuck for years now. Instead of being motivated to get better as a guitar player, he just stands there and thinks "Nah fuck it, I'm Slash, I'm a legend and people think I'm God anyway. Where's my blues scale."

I don't think he learns his own solos because a lot of it is improvised even on record, but he's giving his spin on it and playing what he feels, and whether you like it or not, is subjective and not his concern, I guess. 

As for improving, what do you want him to do? Play jazz scales? He's a rock guitarist who plays in rock bands, there isn't really much else he can improve on. I suppose he can learn how to sweep pick and play some of those sweep pick solos from CD, but I don't mind he doesn't do that. Most guitarists don't use that technique.

3 minutes ago, Nesret said:

Legit opinion and as you've said before, subjective impressions. I don't think his playing has improved over the years, on the contrary. And I find that remarkable for a guy who has been playing guitar for all his life, for a living. I won't start crying because he doesn't sweep pick or whatever - it just baffles me that there seems to be no interest whatsoever in entering new territories technically or musically. 

I think he has become technically a better player (like most players get better at their instrument), and that is why he plays faster now, but he's still not a very technical player and never will be, so that is why a lot of people prefer his playing when he wasn't trying to be the fastest player on stage, because that is not his forte anyway. As for exploring new musical territories, sure, it would be interesting seeing him making music that isn't in his comfort zone, but I guess he's one of those players who likes to stick to the same type of rock and roll for the most part, and within his current bands there isn't a lot for him to improve on. Unless they would change musical direction.

• Like 1

I think Slash has tried to branch out a bit here and there. More in his songwriting than his solos, though. Libertad and Aint Life Grand both come to mind as albums where we see slash trying new things with tone and songwriting-wise. But even then he didnt stray too far from bluesy box patterns with one or two signature modal tones as well - usually with a folk-Latin vibe. Also, a lot of his 'not rock' stuff has a Latin flare.

I've said it before and Ill say it again - his low slung guitar makes him have to balance the neck of the guitar on his left palm, even as he plays leads. This prevents any type of fluidity necessary to branch out in playing style.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

8 minutes ago, soon said:

I think Slash has tried to branch out a bit here and there. More in his songwriting than his solos, though. Libertad and Aint Life Grand both come to mind as albums where we see slash trying new things with tone and songwriting-wise. But even then he didnt stray too far from bluesy box patterns with one or two signature modal tones as well - usually with a folk-Latin vibe. Also, a lot of his 'not rock' stuff has a Latin flare.

I've said it before and Ill say it again - his low slung guitar makes him have to balance the neck of the guitar on his left palm, even as he plays leads. This prevents any type of fluidity necessary to branch out in playing style.

That's why he hugs the guitar and pulls it up when he's soloing. He even has to prop his leg up sometimes, has to be uncomfortable as fuck.

• Like 1

Good lesson, Slash should watch it!

Robin created such a beautiful solo for this song and Slash could easily play it, but he just doesn't seem to care. Whenever I hear him noodle, improvise and pseudo-shred over this I just wanna slap him in the face.

It's a shame we never got to hear it with Robin in concert and Axl might never sing it as good as in 2010 again either.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1