Axl's future singing capability

Axl's future singing capability  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tune down the songs is the most realistic option, we can't turn back time and Axl can't handle these songs written for a guy in his 20s with a lot of energy and anger and nothing to lose. 

And more slow, acoustic/semi-acoustic versions of as many songs as possible, would be a show a lot less energetic for GNR, but would be a very different more introspective and ''mature'' approach.

12 hours ago, MildlyArtistic said:

None of the above. Rework the setlist to feature songs that Axl can sound good singing, maybe actually releases new music so Axl has stuff to sing with his current range, and rework some existing songs for his current voice. And while they're at it, tell Axl there's no shame in tuning down.

Very intelligent response.

2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

LOL I would take current-situation Axl over ANY of those choices every day ...

Absolutely. This poll is a sick joke.

7 hours ago, vail2004 said:

this is so typical of this forum and such a BS thread.  shorter setlist, less shows.  period.  he plays for 3 hrs and tours like mad. 

he is still a god of a live vocalist when he is on and better when he is off than people here comparing him to early 90s/2005/acdc etc want to admit

EXACTLY

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Is this a joke? None of those options are worth a vote! 

Get a new singer? Replace Axl Rose? And actually expect people to be interested? I suppose you might consider the guy in Adlers band capable?🤣 Not a fucking hope in hell! I'd take a half assed Axl all day before I go to a gnr concert without him. I know bands have replaced popular singers, but I cannot see it happening OR Axl allowing such a thing considering he owns the name and he's far too proud/Crazy to offer that suggestion.

Let melissa do the vocals? I mean, she can certainly do more in terms of blending and covering note ranges he's struggling with. But she cannot lead gnr and she wouldn't sing the songs in the way people want anyway! She is not a rock vocalist.

Somebody else to do the screams? In what lifetime would that be good to hear someone else intro Welcome to the jungle and then for Axl to sing a bit of the rest if the song? I mean come on🤣 that's just flat out ridiculous.

Playback/mime... no. Anybody who is happy to watch a singer in a rock band go up and fake it on stage deserves a slap! "

The real option is. Hire a vocal coach, hire a personal trainer. Get himself in shape both physically and vocally. Learn how to sing in an aggressive style without blowing out his voice a few months into a tour. 

TRUER WORDS NEVER SPOKEN

Most everyone has already corrected this mishap, but i'll add mines too.

At least come up with a REALISTIC  GNR poll

He is not really running around any more, is he… It’s as already said here: the song choice, plus proper gap (rest) like before 2016 (which is happening right now). He wrecked his vocal cords with the Australians, that’s the problem. In any case – and as usual – it’s difficult with Guns: one of the reasons why they’re so unique and can’t really be compared with other bands is that movement-wise, they set the bar incredibly high when they were young. Look at any 1991/92 footage, with them constantly moving around and the loose cannon of a frontman running while singing. It was absolutely mind-blowing, it’s an inherent part of their legend etc. But how are they supposed to cope with that now that they’re double the age? 
But certain arrangements undoubtedly need to be done. Exactly as @Gordon Comstock said, there’s no justification in singing stuff like Better, not any more, not like this. It’s just stubbornness and rigidity. 

Oh and one more thing. This may be a bit of a thin ice for me, but I don’t think that those of you speaking about tuning down have fully realized what you’re asking for. His highs are cool, and he can rasp it. His middles are the problem, of course. But tuning down would render him singing the greatest hits in a low voice, which would be weird. And it would draw attention to the problem so much after the 30 years of it having been sung always the same way that it’s better to just leave it out of the playlist. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Lim666 said:

And what would we get with shorter shows? Shorter shows with Mickey!! Not really a win situation for us.

Less songs, i.e. a bit more power for Axl; skipping of songs that just plain sound bad these days (Better, RQ… hell, even YCBM), making it a better show in general, and in combination with enhanced alternation of the playlist – a fresh breeze into the staleness, that’s what we would get. 

• Like 1

None of the options fitted what I'd make him do if i had the final say.....

Make him finally get properly fit and healthy, like a long-distance runner type healthy, with stamina.... and force that weak bitch to do some actual singing practice - you can tell he doesn't sing between tours.

You've got one job, Axl.... just do it.... remove that gluttonous lifestyle and finally kick some actual ass again.

2021 isn't so far away from 2016 where I would assume if he really wanted to, getting back into 2016 territory would be impossible - but he hasn't since so idk what that says lol.  

In the future though definitely a combo of tuning down the songs he would absolutely need to tune down, and modifying the melodies of those kept in the original keys - along the lines of Robert Plant when he did the Zeppelin show in 2007

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, exactly... nobody pays $300 to see Axl run around, they pay to hear him sing, which he can't do anymore while he's running.

If Axl sounds bad and the band sounds bored they should replace those songs (KOHD will never be dropped but they could certainly drop Coma, Estranged, Rocket Queen, Better and others.) Trying to be a "showman" does not make up for a poor vocal performance or make me feel like I got more of my moneys worth.

I think there's an element of people attending a GNR concert that expect Axl to run around like it's 1992 still, and they would be disappointed if he stood still. I don't want him to stand still (already saw that show in Dublin :P) but if it's a great voice and more relaxed on stage, instead of running around, anyone with any sense would go for the vocal option! 

He's more of a light jog these days though! :P 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think there's an element of people attending a GNR concert that expect Axl to run around like it's 1992 still, and they would be disappointed if he stood still. I don't want him to stand still (already saw that show in Dublin :P) but if it's a great voice and more relaxed on stage, instead of running around, anyone with any sense would go for the vocal option! 

He's more of a light jog these days though! :P 

He hasn't been really doing that since 2010, though. And standing completely still would be the other extreme. I think what he's doing now (mostly walking) is quite fine. This affects mainly breath anyways. 

How difficult would it be for the band to adjust to playing some songs tuned down? Would it just be a case of them saying, "right guys let's do it in D" and off they go, or would it require them to sort of re-learn how to play the songs tuned down, lot of practice and then do it live?

Edited by Nice Boy

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

How difficult would it be for the band to adjust to playing some songs tuned down? Would it just be a case of them saying, "right guys let's do it in D" and off they go, or would it require them to sort of re-learn how to play the songs tuned down, lot of practice and then do it live?

Most sensible option, as long as they don't pull the piss and start tuning down to C :D Changing the key as you age is natural! It would dramatically change the sound of the guitars though which might ruin things a bit! 

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

He hasn't been really doing that since 2010, though. And standing completely still would be the other extreme. I think what he's doing now (mostly walking) is quite fine. This affects mainly breath anyways. 

yeah, I don't care what he does outside of singing great! Walk, run! As a musician to watch on stage he is still interesting to watch. He's far more interesting than watching most indie bands or whatever is popular now! Just wish he would sound decent again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nesret said:

I'm really not a fan of reworking songs or setlists to suit a voice that is gone. In my opinion, they should just stop. They had their fun and money with NITL, no need to take it any further, given they don't give a fuck about anything anyway. But that's just my two cents.

They do care about something... money!

And a distant 2nd is legacy which they think they have to add to... they just don't care quite enough to get into a studio and record. 

7 hours ago, Shaolin Punk said:

None of the options fitted what I'd make him do if i had the final say.....

Make him finally get properly fit and healthy, like a long-distance runner type healthy, with stamina.... and force that weak bitch to do some actual singing practice - you can tell he doesn't sing between tours.

You've got one job, Axl.... just do it.... remove that gluttonous lifestyle and finally kick some actual ass again.

100% isn't doing any real practice between tours! He has a home studio, he could easily go in and sing his songs or write new ones to keep his voice in shape! 'tis a shame! but, this is the band and singer we've decided to follow! :P 

• Like 1

Axl must RETIRE respectfully and handover the vocal duties to a decent singer through auditions supervised by him.

Axl, you'll be always in our hearts and it's time for curtain call.

PS: Black Sabbath Dio years wasn't that bad after all.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Axl must RETIRE respectfully and handover the vocal duties to a decent singer through auditions supervised by him.

Rihanna to replace Axl

Roger Waters to replace Duff

Buckethead to replace Slash

Bryan May to replace Fortus

Dave Grohl to replace Frank

Trent Reznor to replace Dizzy

Thom Yorke to replace Melissa 

Replace all AFD songs on the setlist with UYI deep cuts and drop the Who covers for Queen covers.

It's really the only solution when you think about it.

Edited by AtariLegend

20 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

What if Axl quit Guns and started a band with Traci Guns. What would they call it?