Axl's future singing capability

Axl's future singing capability  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Axl must RETIRE respectfully and handover the vocal duties to a decent singer through auditions supervised by him.

Axl, you'll be always in our hearts and it's time for curtain call.

PS: Black Sabbath Dio years wasn't that bad after all.

If Axl retires, GNR is retired. If the option is new singer plus 10/15 more years or Axl / GNR retire now I'd 10000% say GNR retire. He is irreplaceable! whether he is good or bad now makes no difference to that. 

Black Sabbath with Dio was good, AC/DC with Brian is good, Van Halen with Sammy is good! it's been done but it is the exception to the rule.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

19 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, exactly... nobody pays $300 to see Axl run around, they pay to hear him sing, which he can't do anymore while he's running.

If Axl sounds bad and the band sounds bored they should replace those songs (KOHD will never be dropped but they could certainly drop Coma, Estranged, Rocket Queen, Better and others.) Trying to be a "showman" does not make up for a poor vocal performance or make me feel like I got more of my moneys worth.

Honestly, him running around like a madman in 2006 and 2010 is what made all my (casual fans) mates come see the reunion show. It was my fav part of the show. The illusion tour, his running around was a massive attraction to fans. Wild reputation, he's running side to side, what will happen next. Now that the whole band is sober and don't have a massive connection of friendship, axl running around is literally the only entertainment we get.

Sure, he could singe in the 90s 06 and 2010. But If I want to hear the songs played and sound perfect, I'll listen to the album. To go see a live band you want to see a show. Be entertained. It's not the end of the world if he doesn't run, but mixed in with the shite visuals, the shite vocals, the lack of band chemistry and energy, then it just makes the show even more average. and for the prices they are charging, nothing about this show should be average. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Black Sabbath with Dio was good, AC/DC with Brian is good, Van Halen with Sammy is good! it's been done but it is the exception to the rule.

Diehard AC/DC fans had the same exact feeling like yours when Axl joined. Then Axl came on stage and rocked the hell out of those songs way better than Brian. 

I understand that it's kind of like a taboo to even talk about replacing Axl. But the point is that this hypothetical option can 100% turn successful if done correctly (e.g. proper auditions, storyline etc)

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Axl must RETIRE respectfully and handover the vocal duties to a decent singer through auditions supervised by him.

If he wants to retire, fair enough, I'd respect that. But continue GNR without Axl is like The Doors without Jim Morrison. They continued for two more albums without him but it was a totally different vibe and they basically became a jazz band before ulitmately calling it a day. GNR without Axl would end up as one sad cover act, even worse than the worst Chinese Democracy lineup or concert. Axl is too strong of a singer, too connected with the material and the lyrics, too strong of a frontman and personality. The thought of replacing him is absurd.

I can only think of two times replacing the lead singer really worked - AC/DC and Alice In Chains, but that had nothing to do with their new singers. Angus/Malcolm and Jerry are equally maestro on their instruments and as songwriters as their original lead singers. Slash isn't.

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Diehard AC/DC fans had the same exact feeling like yours when Axl joined. Then Axl came on stage and rocked the hell out of those songs way better than Brian. 

I understand that it's kind of like a taboo to even talk about replacing Axl. But the point is that this hypothetical option can 100% turn successful if done correctly (e.g. proper auditions, storyline etc)

Had the story been different for AC/DC 'Brian is healthy, we just want someone new' Axl would not have ever been accepted bu the fans. 

If Axl decided he wasn't able anymore then there's a possibility, but it's like Bon Jovi losing Jon bon Jovi! I don't think it would work and there's no way they'd play stadiums anymore. They'd be back to arenas.

I don't want to see it, and that's including an absolutely fantastic singer taking the position. Not interested, Axls voice is irreplaceable... and that's why people are so dissatisfied with what he's been giving us for the last 3 years, and the between years before that too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Then it becomes VR basically. Axl is irreplaceable IMO and would be better served doing much of what has been suggested on here. It’s a moot point as it’s never happening! 😂

I did like Dio Sabbath too TBF (and probably prefer it to Ozzy Sabbath....controversial) but Butler/Iommi were the real brains behind the songs meaning Ozzy was more expendable...Axl is one of the big brains in GNR.....

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:32 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, exactly... nobody pays $300 to see Axl run around, they pay to hear him sing, which he can't do anymore while he's running.

If Axl sounds bad and the band sounds bored they should replace those songs (KOHD will never be dropped but they could certainly drop Coma, Estranged, Rocket Queen, Better and others.) Trying to be a "showman" does not make up for a poor vocal performance or make me feel like I got more of my moneys worth.

Rocket Queen won't be dropped nor should it. That's Slash's song. Axl can still perform it live. Estranged won't be dropped either. I would say maybe Better or Coma.  I think the ending of Coma is a bit tough for anyone to sing. With that being said, Coma is Slash;'s baby so not sure. 

Edited by Draguns

5 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

Do you realize that option was already done by forming Velvet Revolver???  Slash and Duff tried it already with Weiland. Things didn't work out. 

8 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Rocket Queen won't be dropped nor should it. That's Slash's song. He can still perform it live. Estranged won't be dropped either. I would say maybe Better or Coma.  I think the ending of Coma is a bit tough for anyone to sing. With that being said, Coma is Slash;'s baby so not sure. 

There's only about 5 AFD songs they really "have to" play live, and Rocket Queen isn't one of them IMO. Slash has plenty of other opportunities for extended soloing throughout the show. Rocket Queen hasn't sounded consistently good since 2016.

I know Estranged is a fan favourite, but man they sound so bad on it nowadays... did you not hear the NITL Select? Same with YCBM, but that's one of their biggest hits so they kinda "have to" play that one too. There was a couple shows where they dropped Coma, and yea it's "Slash's baby" but it's been depressing to listen to since 2017 - and it's my favourite GNR song! If Axl can get his shit together and come back strong, then it would be a different conversation... but I still think they need to overhaul the setlist.

17 hours ago, Draguns said:

Rocket Queen won't be dropped nor should it. That's Slash's song. Axl can still perform it live. Estranged won't be dropped either. I would say maybe Better or Coma.  I think the ending of Coma is a bit tough for anyone to sing. With that being said, Coma is Slash;'s baby so not sure. 

The stupidly long RQ solo should be cut because Slash ruins RQ almost as much as Axl. Axl makes you wish they didn't play it and Slash instead decides to deflate the song entirely leaving the sane members of the crowd bored stiff or in the bar/pisser

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The stupidly long RQ solo should be cut because Slash runs RQ almost as much as Axl. Axl makes you wish they didn't play it and Slash instead decides to deflate the song entirely leaving the same members of the crowd bored stiff or in the bar/pisser

Agreed - it goes on a bit too long and kills the momentum. One of my favourite versions is the Puerto Rico one from 2010 - excellent performance from Axl but the band are top notch too with no ‘fat’ in the middle. Much better for it.

17 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There's only about 5 AFD songs they really "have to" play live, and Rocket Queen isn't one of them IMO. Slash has plenty of other opportunities for extended soloing throughout the show. Rocket Queen hasn't sounded consistently good since 2016.

I know Estranged is a fan favourite, but man they sound so bad on it nowadays... did you not hear the NITL Select? Same with YCBM, but that's one of their biggest hits so they kinda "have to" play that one too. There was a couple shows where they dropped Coma, and yea it's "Slash's baby" but it's been depressing to listen to since 2017 - and it's my favourite GNR song! If Axl can get his shit together and come back strong, then it would be a different conversation... but I still think they need to overhaul the setlist.

Rocket Queen is a funny one for me - the raspy versions have been missing since 2016...and since then it’s been up and down with some really good to ok to just about getting a pass. However it’s my favourite GNR song and even though vocally it’s not near where I’d want it to be - it never sounds ‘awful’ to me so would always want to hear it.

Disclaimer - It’s my favourite GNR song as I say so maybe I’m just biased. 😂

12 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The stupidly long RQ solo should be cut because Slash runs RQ almost as much as Axl. Axl makes you wish they didn't play it and Slash instead decides to deflate the song entirely leaving the same members of the crowd bored stiff or in the bar/pisser

Oh wow Rocket Queen was one of my favs seeing live because of Slash's solo haha.  I am a guitarist myself so maybe I am biased, but I never get tired of Slash doing some funky talkbox stuff over that groove

42 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Oh wow Rocket Queen was one of my favs seeing live because of Slash's solo haha.  I am a guitarist myself so maybe I am biased, but I never get tired of Slash doing some funky talkbox stuff over that groove

Guitar player too and obviously a Slash fan, but It just didn't entertain me. I liked it a bit more on the UYI tours, the NITL version wasn't great for me. 

In general current Slash does almost nothing for me though.

47 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Agreed - it goes on a bit too long and kills the momentum. One of my favourite versions is the Puerto Rico one from 2010 - excellent performance from Axl but the band are top notch too with no ‘fat’ in the middle. Much better for it.

Rocket Queen is a funny one for me - the raspy versions have been missing since 2016...and since then it’s been up and down with some really good to ok to just about getting a pass. However it’s my favourite GNR song and even though vocally it’s not near where I’d want it to be - it never sounds ‘awful’ to me so would always want to hear it.

Disclaimer - It’s my favourite GNR song as I say so maybe I’m just biased. 😂

I absolutely love RQ, and from 2009-2014 it was almost always my favourite song in the set, especially the outro! I just don't want to hear a 10 minute version of it, and yeah Axl singing it like an old grandma definitely doesn't help things :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Do you realize that option was already done by forming Velvet Revolver???  Slash and Duff tried it already with Weiland. Things didn't work out. 

It actually worked out up until Weiland got crazy. Those 2 VR albums weren't bad after all. + They were playing prominent festivals as well. But again each to their own.

• Like 1