Axl's future singing capability

Axl's future singing capability  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, agree to disagree I guess. They've done tours before where RQ and Estranged weren't staples, and they've been played to death at this point, so if there's any songs they replace I wouldn't be sad to see those 2 go (among others). Coma was alternated with Locomotive a few times but neither song sounds very good these days IMO. I'd rather hear Pretty Tied Up and You Ain't The First, it would take up about the same amount of time, the band would sound better, and it'd be something fresh.

The 2020 shows weren't their worst by any means (that'd be Berlin 2018) but I really wouldn't say they were 'on fire'. They were, from what I remember, pretty much on par with a good 2018 show... but that's not a very high bar. Axl had some great moments but struggled for a lot of the show, even on songs like Nightrain which he used to nail even on an off night.

I'd be ok with Estranged being in a rotating spot like Don't cry and Patience. I'd prefer to hear it when he thinks he can sing it well, than just to hear a shell of the song I love. I also think Slash sounds farily 'meh' on this song his bending during the verses sounds lazy compared to the record or UYI performances. Once an emotive song, now when I hear it played by the NITL band I get none of the same feelings. I don't love how the 2006-2014 line ups played every single song, but in my opinion their batting average is a lot higher than the NITL band. I would love to see a reunion of the 2006 line-up (minus Pitman), and I know I'm in very small minority and that if it did happen Axl is not in that condition vocally to make it work🤣 

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

The point I was making was that it was already done. Slash and Duff tried to find a new singer for VR, but couldn't. All three need each other. 

Maybe in terms of stadium tours and mass exposure yes, but Slash and duff have their own solo careers now. If GnR breaks down again, slash will just do SMKC and Duff will probably become an underground solo artist. I don't think they'd go back to VR or a supergroup thing. However their solo stuff probably allows them just to keep cashing the GnR cheques, whilst using their own projects to be an actual artist. 

20 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I absolutely love RQ, and from 2009-2014 it was almost always my favourite song in the set, especially the outro! I just don't want to hear a 10 minute version of it, and yeah Axl singing it like an old grandma definitely doesn't help things :D 

😂 singing it from an old grandmas ‘point of view’ would certainly change things 🤣

- get a vocal coach and work with him during tours but especially inbetween them 

- if he doesnt already have a gym at home he should get one 

- hire a personal trainer that kicks his ass, i.e. the Jordan guy that Duff works with 

- hire some people to make him tasty but also healthy food and ditch the junk food 

- rework the setlist, play more songs that suit his voice and maybe if he gets into shape, other songs won’t sound as bad as they used to 

- if it helps play shorter shows, but I think playing shorter shows mainly means cutting the covers and guitar solos and while most of the fans would enjoy that, I think Axl needs some rest during the show as well

i mean this guy has more money than he can spend in the rest of his life, why can’t he put some of it into Fitness and things that improve his health and also the GNR live shows?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

- get a vocal coach and work with him during tours but especially inbetween them 

- if he doesnt already have a gym at home he should get one 

- hire a personal trainer that kicks his ass, i.e. the Jordan guy that Duff works with 

- hire some people to make him tasty but also healthy food and ditch the junk food 

- rework the setlist, play more songs that suit his voice and maybe if he gets into shape, other songs won’t sound as bad as they used to 

- if it helps play shorter shows, but I think playing shorter shows mainly means cutting the covers and guitar solos and while most of the fans would enjoy that, I think Axl needs some rest during the show as well

i mean this guy has more money than he can spend in the rest of his life, why can’t he put some of it into Fitness and things that improve his health and also the GNR live shows?

The first part of your sentence answers the second part. Axl is living the life, I don't blame him for anything.

21 hours ago, ©GnrPersia said:

And not to menton James Hetfield who is literally having the same stage presence as his 80s and 90s + Hits all those notes accurately. 57 year old James Hetfield, father of three, might sound weary these days but he does still pull off some of his most challenging songs.

No pain no gain. It requires a day to day effort and practice for these artists to stay at the top.

Godspeed Axl but certainly this cannot be achieved by Tacos and Burgers and hanging around uninspiring people like Beta and her son.

I find Axl and Hetfield interesting opposites in terms of vocal ability at the moment.

Hetfield has a great "base" voice that he can use throughout most songs, but struggles a bit when moving outside of that.

While Axl tends to ace the "explosive" parts of songs (LALD screams etc) but struggles to find a consistent, good sounding, voice to use for the verses and such.

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

Actually come to think of it. Slither is played in D. And Axl sounds fucking dreadful on it :lol:

To be fair, Drop D is different. Slither is still in its original key, whereas tuning from Eb to D Standard would automatically drop every song an extra semitone. Regardless, Axl sounds like shit. :lol:

• Like 1

If they cut it down to just the hits they "have to play" and threw in some new stuff and deep cuts, Axl could still put on a relatively great show.

Welcome To The Jungle
Sweet Child O' Mine
Paradise City
Mr. Brownstone
Nightrain
You Could Be Mine
November Rain
Live And Let Die
Knockin' On Heavens Door
--------------------
It's So Easy
Pretty Tied Up
Bad Obsession
The Garden
Double Talkin' Jive
Down On The Farm
You Ain't The First
Patience
Wichita Lineman
The Seeker

Add 2-3 new songs and a couple Duff songs, and it's about the same length as their last shows. Maybe rotate Chinese Democracy, Slither, Shadow Of Your Love, Don't Cry or You're Crazy into the set when they feel like it, but don't play them just for the sake of "playing a 3 hour show".

7 minutes ago, moreblack said:

All this would be a non issue if they just tune down enough

Nah, that'd just be a different issue, not a non-issue. :lol:

Tuning down could work for some songs though. It'd be cool if they rearranged some songs and tuned them down, maybe play KOHD closer to the 2001 version or maybe November Rain with just Axl and Slash until the end, like '93. The tuning would be less "awkward" if there's a new arrangement.

On 12/5/2020 at 11:29 AM, JimiRose said:

The answer is - Get fit, look at jagger, look at tyler. they still song close to their peak voice and they're in fantastic shape.

You cannot point to Tyler and say that Axl should be able to sing with a strong high rasp because Tyler still manages to. It's not a fair comparison at all. Tyler's natural speaking voice his high and raspy - It's way easier for him to sing a few hours like that. Axl's natural speaking voice is way, way lower, and his high rasp was always forced (yet well controlled), but it's not natural for him. It's a considerable effort for him to force it for hours at his age. A much more difficult task than Tyler's.

• Like 3

Yeah sorry but all of the choices offered were a no go!! Axl definitely needs a vocal coach....I just watched again the 2017 clips of when he sang Big Shot and Highway to Hell with Billy Joel and he sounded great. He just needs motivation, vocal work, and yeah throw Duff a bone and have him sing more than one song! Why not. :P

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Yeah sorry but all of the choices offered were a no go!! Axl definitely needs a vocal coach....I just watched again the 2017 clips of when he sang Big Shot and Highway to Hell with Billy Joel and he sounded great. He just needs motivation, vocal work, and yeah throw Duff a bone and have him sing more than one song! Why not. :P

How ironic that he sings well with other artists but gives zero fucks to his own band. 

If he has in ear monitors he knows how he sounds. Either pride or stubborness is preventing him in improving his technique.

Maybe they could ask the vocalist in adlers band to do vocals. 

Regarding tuning down, it is strange because Axl can still hit the actual pitches of all the songs in the original keys perfectly fine, it is just the way he is doing it now that doesn't sound as good - rasp, power, etc. whatever you want to call the difference in timbre

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Regarding tuning down, it is strange because Axl can still hit the actual pitches of all the songs in the original key perfectly fine, it is just the way he is doing it now that doesn't sound as good - rasp, power, etc. whatever you want to call the different in timbre

I recall watching some vocal coach watch Axl's performances from the last couple of years to offer his opinion on his approach. He said more or less the same as you, but that he had to put a lot of effort to get a tone out of his diaphragm which is probably why we get the weaker sounding vocals. Something to that effect anyway, but yeah, I definitely agree with you.

• Like 2

I truly believe Axl is capable of still hitting all the notes with rasp, clean voice, whatever. It's just way more difficult to do cause he's not 25 anymore, he wants to preserve his voice, and he refuses to prepare and rehearse for Gn'R shows like he did with AC/DC.

if he gave it his all, it would probably sound great, mostly but he never was a consistent singer and Guns tunes are hard as fuck to sing in general.

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

You cannot point to Tyler and say that Axl should be able to sing with a strong high rasp because Tyler still manages to. It's not a fair comparison at all. Tyler's natural speaking voice his high and raspy - It's way easier for him to sing a few hours like that. Axl's natural speaking voice is way, way lower, and his high rasp was always forced (yet well controlled), but it's not natural for him. It's a considerable effort for him to force it for hours at his age. A much more difficult task than Tyler's.

So we're going to ignore the fact that tyler is in great shape, rehearses, and has a vocal coach. Stop making excuses for Axl. This is the reason he gets away with sounding like a grandma on helium, whilst charging hundreds of dollars and pounds to see tiny dots in the distance. You are downplaying Steven tyler. he is 71 years old. Axl in 2018 was 56 and sounded like shite. Aerosmith are hardly crooners. You're acting as if steven tyler is an easy comfortable singing voice. Axl does scream with a strong high rasp, and he talks nicely. but he sings like shit since 2016. We're not saying he has to sound like 1988 live at the ritz, just not a dying cat would do, with all due respect

• Like 3