The beginning of the end - When Guns N’ Roses Welcomed Gilby Clarke and a Horn Section on Stage Read More: When Guns N' Roses Added Gilby Clarke and a Horn Section

I call BS.  They were in control of releasing new music, and keeping the band together.  Other bands were performing with orchestras etc and still managed to live.  These are all just excuses, and sadly thats the only thing this band has kept consistent  through out the years.  They are great at creating them

• Like 4

1 hour ago, soon said:

Shame on UCR for putting those voices forward as though they are valid - with no editorializing. In fact propping their random, click bait, article with 2/3rds of those idiots words.

Honestly, reads like usual UCR "articles" for me.

Absolutely agreed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

I call BS.  They were in control of releasing new music, and keeping the band together.  Other bands were performing with orchestras etc and still managed to live.  These are all just excuses, and sadly thats the only thing this band has kept consistent  through out the years.  They are great at creating them

Yep, and by the late 90s  metallica was doing it as part of their S&M album. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fabrph5 said:

Damn straight 

4 hours ago, metallex78 said:

Yep, I became a fan of the band during UYI years. So while some rock purists probably hated the expanded sound and extras on stage, I thought it was fantastic. Looking back, it certainly was over the top, but I still loved it. 

Over the top, certainly, but did it work for them? Yep. My favorite memory is when they hired out the arena for close up shots for the estranged video

• Like 1

If this is a discussion on the beginning of the end. The seeds of the end were planted when Axl demanded full control. Obviously losing Adler and Izzy hurt. Not to mention they never saved funding from their concert tours.  MANY other un-doings. 

Personally I would have loved to see the full blown bloated show. Arguably their peak. The Skin And Bones tour almost seemed to be lacking, in comparison. 

I think it wasn't one thing that caused the band to implode and it seems it wasn't just one man responsible. Gn'R was the kind of band that was like a ticking bomb from the start and they kinda wanted different things artistically and in their own lives.

Izzy probably wanted for it to not continue to be ridiculously huge and with no internal band bullshit as his VR stint demonstrated, Slash wasn't interested when it came to straying too far from classic hard rock and Axl took over and became controlling and isolated himself. It wasn't like The Stones where you had certain principals that were agreed upon by the band members who had a say in how the band was going to operate.

at least all the gunners are still alive and the 3 of them found a way to get along, even if it took 20 years and some compromises had to be made.

• Like 2

My 2 cents:

In a perfect world they would have released one more bare bones rock n roll album with the Appetite line up before the UYI era. Which I totally loved as well, all of it - the horn section, Axl's clothes, Slash's over the top fat guitar tones, big shows like Paris 92...what a spectacle! But it was one album too early for that, imo.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

My 2 cents:

In a perfect world they would have released one more bare bones rock n roll album with the Appetite line up before the UYI era. Which I totally loved as well, all of it - the horn section, Axl's clothes, Slash's over the top fat guitar tones, big shows like Paris 92...what a spectacle! But it was one album too early for that, imo.

And another 5 albums after the UYI era. In a perfect world with Izzy's help

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think it wasn't one thing that caused the band to implode and it seems it wasn't just one man responsible. Gn'R was the kind of band that was like a ticking bomb from the start and they kinda wanted different things artistically and in their own lives.

Izzy probably wanted for it to not continue to be ridiculously huge and with no internal band bullshit as his VR stint demonstrated, Slash wasn't interested when it came to straying too far from classic hard rock and Axl took over and became controlling and isolated himself. It wasn't like The Stones where you had certain principals that were agreed upon by the band members who had a say in how the band was going to operate.

at least all the gunners are still alive and the 3 of them found a way to get along, even if it took 20 years and some compromises had to be made.

Interesting assessment.

I think after illusions they should have done what slash wanted to do, as getting back to basics,  was a straight up hard rock record, one ballad. Then after that album we go into potentially some of the CD songs that could of worked with the illusions lineup (the blues, CD, TWAT, better, CITR)  because to me, these have an illusions kind of feel. I firmly think what we got as part of the CD leaks last year would have worked with the illusions lineup. Shit, axl didnt know about pro tools, and drum loops until sorum showed him. Had the band stayed together we could have had illusions , hard rock record followup in 97 and axl could then branch out and record the songs that could have been potentially the CD intentions, released early 00s.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

I don't believe Gilby and a horn section 'caused' the band to implode, not at all. Ok it happened around that era but don't confuse correlation for causation.

If anything, Gilby's addition enabled them to continue. And they still did the Skin n Bones tour after they'd dropped the backings section. 

• Like 4

The problem was Axl acting like a prima donna, Goldstein was just an Axl yes man, not the kind of manager they needed. Slash and Duff were high and drunk 24/7. Izzy was clean and he didn't want to deal with that crap. So he left.  All of this was the begining of the end, not Gilby and the horn section. 

I guess the reporter who wrote that article should read Slash and Duff books

• Like 2

It's not that far off. UYI was bloated, we can agree that UYI should have been one record. We can agree from all accounts from people there that the parties were extravagant, the videos were crazy! And it was signalling the end. 

The Horn section were more talented than the dick journalist said though! and getting a shitty comment from a member of FNM is no surprise, they thought their shit didn't stink either... don't tour with them if you're so embarrassed! fact is they wanted exposure and money just like GNR so they took the opening slot.