The beginning of the end - When Guns N’ Roses Welcomed Gilby Clarke and a Horn Section on Stage Read More: When Guns N' Roses Added Gilby Clarke and a Horn Section

1 hour ago, axlvai said:

Thats why 1993 was with out the horn n stuff section. Back to the basics. 

You know the story....

They had to. They were losing money, again according with Slash and Duff. Don't get me wrong I love the Skin N' Bones Tour. But the main reason why they did it that way was because there were red numbers

5 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

No we can't

No surprise you wouldn't but I wouldn't say you're a great example of the everyday GNR fan. But the regular GNR fan or listener that puts the records on, come away saying that it would have been one great album. there's a reason we've discussed it adnauseam on here (We don't need to argue it)... and a good majority agree that pooling the best songs and cutting the filler would have been better! I mean that's not controversial or some 'out there' idea 🤣 

20 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

No surprise you wouldn't but I wouldn't say you're a great example of the everyday GNR fan. But the regular GNR fan or listener that puts the records on, come away saying that it would have been one great album. there's a reason we've discussed it adnauseam on here (We don't need to argue it)... and a good majority agree that pooling the best songs and cutting the filler would have been better! I mean that's not controversial or some 'out there' idea 🤣 

idk, you said "we can all agree". problematic cause a lot of fans here seem to have different UYI favorites and all of those couldn't possibly be included on just 1 record cause the preferences are diverse. UYI filler is weird, probably cause it's Gn'R and the music always had so much personality. A lot of what's considered filler by a lot of fans is what many consider some of their favorite Gn'R tunes, or they just really like those songs.

in theory it could have been a stronger release as only 1 record but personally for me some of the weaker tracks are part of the magic of the whole rollercoaster ride that is uyi plus the band released only 4.5 albums so at least they managed to be prolific 30 years ago.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I completely disagree. If we didn’t get a double there would have been so much of Izzy that would never have seen the light of day. 

7 hours ago, Padme said:

They had to. They were losing money, again according with Slash and Duff. Don't get me wrong I love the Skin N' Bones Tour. But the main reason why they did it that way was because there were red numbers

Maybe losing money bc bad administration. They were making 1M videoclips. 

Just now, axlvai said:

Maybe losing money bc bad administration. They were making 1M videoclips. 

Apparently the record company were picking up the tab for the clips. The band went through money due to axls parties, and late fines due to playing late past city curfews. 

6 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

You’re correct in that’s it’s been discussed so many times on this forum usually with valid points, but how would you make it one album at 73 minutes in length when four of the best songs were 10 minutes in length? Plus, add in Don’t Cry and You Could Be Mine, which makes one album at 50 minutes in length. Leaving 23 minutes of what? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

idk, you said "we can all agree". problematic cause a lot of fans here seem to have different UYI favorites and all of those couldn't possibly be included on just 1 record cause the preferences are diverse. UYI filler is weird, probably cause it's Gn'R and the music always had so much personality. A lot of what's considered filler by a lot of fans is what many consider some of their favorite Gn'R tunes, or they just really like those songs.

in theory it could have been a stronger release as only 1 record but personally for me some of the weaker tracks are part of the magic of the whole rollercoaster ride that is uyi plus the band released only 4.5 albums so at least they managed to be prolific 30 years ago.

Problematic for hardcore crazy fans, but there are people here who think Hardschool is the best GNR song of all time, so there's that! I like some songs that probably wouldn't make most peoples list, but after listening to the albums hundreds of times you're bound to like deeper cuts.

If GnR were a normal band and released an album every 2-3 years then I would agree that UYI could have been 14 songs, with 2/3 saved for the next album and the rest put out as b sides to singles or part of an unreleased anniversary boxset. However, as it turned out, this would be the last original material ever to feature axl izzy slash and duff, and the last Axl material for 17 years. So I am delighted that it was a double album, because if it wasn't, the discography would be even more threadbare, as hard as that is to imagine. 

27 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Problematic for hardcore crazy fans, but there are people here who think Hardschool is the best GNR song of all time, so there's that! I like some songs that probably wouldn't make most peoples list, but after listening to the albums hundreds of times you're bound to like deeper cuts.

I think there's something for every Gn'R fan on UYI. You cut tunes from it, it would be less UYI. The other side of listening to the albums for years is that you learn to appreciate certain tunes not just cause you're bored of the hits and the you could be mines, it's because the deep cuts have something to offer imo. Take filler shit like Don't Cry alternative lyrics for example: even that to me has value cause of the cool verse after the solo and I like Shotgun Blues, So Fine, Bad Apples, Garden Of Eden, Bad Obsession. I think those, like other small guns make the albums more interesting.

which songs would you cut anyway? I don't know if you can come up with just 1 record that most people here would agree is better compared to what got released which means, if true, that it's the opposite of what you said and we can't possibly agree on a hypothetical shorter tracklist for UYI. There are many long epics on UYI as well so as someone already mentioned, would make what you're suggesting even more difficult to accomplish without detracting from the experience imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I think there's something for every Gn'R fan on UYI. You cut tunes from it, it would be less UYI. The other side of listening to the albums for years is that you learn to appreciate certain tunes not just cause you're bored of the hits and the you could be mines, it's because the deep cuts have something to offer imo. Take filler shit like Don't Cry alternative lyrics for example: even that to me has value cause of the cool verse after the solo and I like Shotgun Blues, So Fine, Bad Apples, Garden Of Eden, Bad Obsession. I think those, like other small guns make the albums more interesting.

which songs would you cut anyway? I don't know if you can come up with just 1 record that most people here would agree is better compared to what got released which means, if true, that it's the opposite of what you said and we can't possibly agree on a hypothetical shorter tracklist for UYI. There are many long epics on UYI as well so as someone already mentioned, would make what you're suggesting even more difficult to accomplish without detracting from the experience imo.

It's hard to come up with one list that serves everyone, especially 25+yrs later when everybody has heard the songs 100s of times. 

I'd cut some songs that I enjoy, like Shotgun blues, Garden of Eden, Coma, Back off bitch, bad Apples, Don't cry (alt)

If I was putting a list together, I'd have to cut a handful of songs I enjoy like Dust n bones, Live and let die, Breakdown... But I think the below list has a bit of everything!

1. You could be mine

2. Perfect crime

3. Dust N Bones

4. yesterdays

5. Knocking on heavens door

6. November Rain

7. Don't cry

8. Double talkin' jive

9. 14 years

10. Pretty tied up

11. Civil War

12. Don't Damn me

13. The garden

14. Estranged

bonus 15. You ain't the first

Edited by Tom2112

It's hard to come up with one list that serves everyone, especially 25+yrs later when everybody has heard the songs 100s of times. 

I'd cut some songs that I enjoy, like Shotgun blues, Garden of Eden, Coma, Back off bitch, bad Apples, Don't cry (alt)

1. You could be mine

2. Perfect crime

3. Dust N Bones

4. yesterdays

6. November Rain

7. Don't cry

8. Double talkin' jive

9. 14 years

10. Pretty tied up

11. Civil War

12. Don't Damn me

13. The garden

14. Estranged

yeah so no Breakdown, Right Next Door To Hell, Locomotive, etc and you have to cut songs you enjoy. It doesn't really work imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

If I was putting a list together, I'd have to cut a handful of songs I enjoy like Dust n bones, Live and let die, Breakdown... But I think the below list has a bit of everything!

1. You could be mine

2. Perfect crime

3. Dust N Bones

4. yesterdays

6. November Rain

7. Don't cry

8. Double talkin' jive

9. 14 years

10. Pretty tied up

11. Civil War

12. Don't Damn me

13. The garden

14. Estranged

What color scheme would you choose for this single album, the orange or blue?

I'll never understand how anyone would want GNR to have even less albums as they already have. Wouldn't wanna miss one song from the Illusions since they all mean something to me, growing up with them. Releasing two albums at the same time is something nobody has done before and it's one of the greatest achievments of this band.

It's great that we got the 30 songs that we got with UYI, but I think trimming it could have made for a better 1 disc album, just like the White Album.

For me the ideal scenario would have been that we still got all 30 songs, but that GNR where more like Oasis in regard to their b-sides.

1. Right Next Door To Hell
  2. Dust N Bones
  3. Don’t Cry (Original)
  4. Perfect Crime
  5. You Aint The First
  6. Bad Obsession
  7. Back Off Bitch
  8. November Rain
  9. Garden of Eden
  10. Don’t Damn Me
  11. Dead Horse
  12. Yesterdays
  13. Breakdown 
  14. Locomotive 
  15. Estranged
  16. You Could Be Mine

There were 8 singles released from UYI according to Wikipedia, they could have given us the remaining 14 songs as b-sides, and given fans a steady stream of new music between 1991 and 1993.

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

yeah so no Breakdown, Right Next Door To Hell, Locomotive, etc and you have to cut songs you enjoy. It doesn't really work imo.

If I hadn't heard them because they decided to release 12-14 songs, what difference would it have made? We'd be none the wiser! keep the songs for the next record like they did with AFD. It does work, and it makes for a more to point, no BS record. It's like the people saying they love the 3hr show, yet it's rammed with covers and guitar solos... Quality over quantity! And I like Breakdown, RNDTH and 4 minutes of Locomotive... but every band has to sit in a studio and make tough choices about songs in order to make the best record! sure you can put out every song you've worked on! but it waters things down. 30yrs later knowing that, that was almost the last hurrah! I'm glad I have the extra songs to listen to, but I know and you know that both of those records have songs that don't really stack up besides songs like YCBM or even Yesterdays.

I would much rather people saying GNR have fuck all records but what they put out is great from top to bottom. You can't honestly say that. You can say 'I enjoy every GNR song', but there's a difference!

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

If I hadn't heard them because they decided to release 12-14 songs, what difference would it have made? We'd be none the wiser! keep the songs for the next record like they did with AFD. It does work, and it makes for a more to point, no BS record. It's like the people saying they love the 3hr show, yet it's rammed with covers and guitar solos... Quality over quantity! And I like Breakdown, RNDTH and 4 minutes of Locomotive... but every band has to sit in a studio and make tough choices about songs in order to make the best record! sure you can put out every song you've worked on! but it waters things down. 30yrs later knowing that, that was almost the last hurrah! I'm glad I have the extra songs to listen to, but I know and you know that both of those records have songs that don't really stack up besides songs like YCBM or even Yesterdays.

I would much rather people saying GNR have fuck all records but what they put out is great from top to bottom. You can't honestly say that. You can say 'I enjoy every GNR song', but there's a difference!

I enjoy every officially released Gn'R song except My World and time proved it was a good decision to release a double album for Guns. How do you follow an album like AFD? they went big and more varied. There had to be a place for Axl's tunes, Slash's, and Izzy's material. The style of the tunes/the length of some of the tunes did not lend itself well to a precise and shorter album imo.

look, quality over quantity, for sure, but sometimes you have more to say and I think the weaker tracks were an important part of the picture. You got to experience enough ideas from the 3 main songwriters of the band and all 30 tunes sounded like they belonged on the same record imo, despite the difference in style (classic hard rock and more Queen like compositions)

Don't think this was a "bloated" thing. I believe they were enjoying being creative, and looking to their influences (Wings, Zeppelin, Aerosmith) who all had those instruments in their recordings. I also liked the idea that apparently Slash pitched, about doing a small club tour (kinda like GNR 2013), that wouldn't have been stripped down like AFD days.

I think they would changed things up with each tour - the biggest issue was always third parties interfering and miscommunication causing trust issues. Most bands that solved those issues, manage to stay together longterm. 

1 hour ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Not to mention having both albums top the charts within the first week.

That's all well and dandy! and I'm sure if you were a GNR fan in 1991 you were out loud and proud with your shirt on! It is a cool achievement! but I'd bet the guys in the band would probably say they'd even cut a few songs if they were given the chance! 

15 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I enjoy every officially released Gn'R song except My World and time proved it was a good decision to release a double album for Guns. How do you follow an album like AFD? they went big and more varied. There had to be a place for Axl's tunes, Slash's, and Izzy's material. The style of the tunes/the length of some of the tunes did not lend itself well to a precise and shorter album imo.

look, quality over quantity, for sure, but sometimes you have more to say and I think the weaker tracks were an important part of the picture. You got to experience enough ideas from the 3 main songwriters of the band and all 30 tunes sounded like they belonged on the same record imo, despite the difference in style (classic hard rock and more Queen like compositions)

I think with 14 songs you get a great taste of all the main songwriters. End of the day, strongest songs / ideas get on the record, it's not a charity and you should be looking to represent the band at its best, rather than stroke egos of individual members. If individual members got to have final say Hotel California would have been sang by Don Felder! and history would look quite different for The Eagles. 

UYI I & II were successes at the end of the day, so it's hard to argue with the side of things! but I hang my hat on that there's no place for weaker tracks. Write 30, whittle it down to the best and fine tune them!

Like I said I'm glad to have them now, but I know they aren't the best records from top to bottom! If a cd in 1991 could have held 20 songs, or if they released it as a double album but side II was basically EP length! that would have been best of both worlds. 

I'd love if they all created a master 1 album list for the 30th anniversary!

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2