Axl, Elton & Bohemian Rhapsody

Just been watching Axl singing BR with Elton at Freddies tribute concert.  I have never seen or heard a singer like Axl , he reaches inside of himself and brings out everything he has got and displays for all to see.  You cannot help but feel for this man, a complete stranger, his performances gave a voice to the human condition.  Not surprising he seems to be worn down now.  Was/is he a tortured genious?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Just been watching Axl singing BR with Elton at Freddies tribute concert.  I have never seen or heard a singer like Axl , he reaches inside of himself and brings out everything he has got and displays for all to see.  You cannot help but feel for this man, a complete stranger, his performances gave a voice to the human condition.  Not surprising he seems to be worn down now.  Was/is he a tortured genious?

I just watched it. Legendary performance. But I dont think Ive even seen all the Guns parts, certainly not the whole thing. Axl isnt even on stage for over half the song and he still owns the performance! His voice is especially melodic and nuanced even in full rasp! Glorious! 

During Axls first section of singing, you see a brief look from May, giving Axl 'rock face' as his appreciation is that great :headbang:

Yeah, Axl was a troubled genius back then. Im mean I struggle to call him a genius because my caricatured view of Axl has his inner monologue going "This sounds good. Maybe I should get Queen to be Guns N Roses? Or at least if Slash leaves I'll get May!" And years later that is precisely what Axl did having May play on a few tracks including Catcher and Atlas Shrugged. lol

And as far as the human condition goes - Axls earlier homophobia still followed him at this time, so performing at a Gay mans memorial show at a time when aids was seen as a "gay issue" along with Elton John was a powerful statement of unity, as well as personal growth. (Although I do pickup on a little subtext when John sings to Axl "Nothing really matters to me" :lol:)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I have never seen or heard a singer like Axl

You should watch footage of the man who Axl was there paying tribute to that day!

In all seriousness, Axl stole the show with that performance. A lot of the artists that day had to tune down in order to do justice to the songs, homage to what a fucking chanter Freddie was. Highlights of that evening was Bohemian Rhapsody and '39 by George Michael. I think I've got the concert t-shirt somewhere.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dean said:

You should watch footage of the man who Axl was there paying tribute to that day!

In all seriousness, Axl stole the show with that performance. A lot of the artists that day had to tune down in order to do justice to the songs, homage to what a fucking chanter Freddie was. Highlights of that evening was Bohemian Rhapsody and '39 by George Michael. I think I've got the concert t-shirt somewhere.

I think the ultimate highlight was "We Are the Champions" with everyone on stage (including Axl, Slash, and Duff). It's just one of those magical moments in music history where you didn't mind them repeating the chorus 10 times. They could've gone 100 times consecutively on the chorus and you'd still get teared up. I'd argue this is up there in the greatest moments in music history. Liza (and the crowd) kills it, too.

'Thanks Freddie! We just wanted to let you know we were thinking about you! Stay safe!" *sobs*

Edited by 3rd Wheel
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 3rd Wheel said:

I think the ultimate highlight was "We Are the Champions" with everyone on stage (including Axl, Slash, and Duff). It's just one of those magical moments in music history where you didn't mind them repeating the chorus 10 times. They could've gone 100 times consecutively on the chorus and you'd still get teared up. I'd argue this is up there in the greatest moments in music history. Liza (and the crowd) kills it, too.

Brian obviously had a lot on his mind at that time, he waved to the crowd at the farewell and went to walk off. I think it was one of the Def Leppard chaps that grabbed him and said something along the lines of "This won't happen again, turn back around and take it all in". Phenomenal turn out to celebrate the work of one of the greats.

• Like 2