Jump to content

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Probably that. But I think even Slash and Duff can't stand him. Maybe Duff can. But I haven't seen Slash invite Matt in his solo records after the first Snakepit. 

Matt has a bossy attitude and that would be a major problem with Axl. 

They did have Velvet Revolver though, so it couldn't have been that bad, at least at times. Anyway, I'm for anything that would change the dynamics, both in terms of music and the band itself! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They truly should bring him back.

There's no saving GNR with Axl's voice in the condition it is.

Matt is the 2nd worst "GNR drummer" after Frank IMO. Obviously he's not a bad drummer but he's really not the best fit, either. If they were ever gonna bring back an old drummer for more than a one-of

24 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

Matt would be a great addition. But he wouldn't last. Becasue he would tell Axl he sounds like shit. And you don't tell Axl the truth if you know what's good for you.

This, basically. Matt seems to be the kind of guy that speaks his mind. He would probably call out TB as well. Axl, Slash and Duff don't want to deal with that attitude for sure. Would it make the band better if Matt was around? Probably yes, but since this ain't a band anymore, won't happen. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jamillos said:

They did have Velvet Revolver though, so it couldn't have been that bad, at least at times. Anyway, I'm for anything that would change the dynamics, both in terms of music and the band itself! 

Love matts drumming, to me sorum fitted the illusions perfectly. Having a look at that 95 rehearsal video, where slash says matt is one the best drummers hes seen, slash must feel like hes stepping down to play with frank.

6 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

This, basically. Matt seems to be the kind of guy that speaks his mind. He would probably call out TB as well. Axl, Slash and Duff don't want to deal with that attitude for sure. Would it make the band better if Matt was around? Probably yes, but since this ain't a band anymore, won't happen. 

I remember matt, from matts book asking if GNR were still managed by " that kid". I could see matt butting heads with TB majorly.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jamillos said:

Btw:

"Why do you guys need to rehearse?"

"Because we don't have you."

He may be a bit full of himself, but I believe this conversation really happened. That speaks volumes. 

And that's a compliment really. I don't think Matt made up any of those conversations; I don't see any reason for him to lie.

Edited by MaskingApathy
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

And that's a compliment really. I don't think Matt made up any of those conversations; I don't see why reason for him to lie.

I don't think Matt lied... But it also could be Duff saving face about the fact Duff didn't fight for Matt to be part of the reunion or haven't told Matt about the conversations of it when they were with Hollywood Vampires

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I agree. Reading his book gave me an unpleasant insight into Matt. I couldn’t imagine any of those guys wanting him back in a band. 

But then Slash and Duff lived it all and then went on to form VR with him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

I don't think Matt lied... But it also could be Duff saving face about the fact Duff didn't fight for Matt to be part of the reunion or haven't told Matt about the conversations of it when they were with Hollywood Vampires

I don't think Slash and Duff had as much say over Matt being the drummer or not. If it had been up to them he would've be there, and probably Steven too for a few AFD songs. And as far as Duff not telling him about it in 2015, all the details hadn't been figured out then yet, it was just rumors and talking at that point. No concrete plans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt said in his book he talked there were "talks" about a reunion... 3 months later there was the announcement... If you think Slash was talkin' with Axl since March... It's hard to believe they haven't figured out possible line up changes and or demands...

But I do agree with you Slash and Duff don't have a lot of input on the line up

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Matt said in his book he talked there were "talks" about a reunion... 3 months later there was the announcement... If you think Slash was talkin' with Axl since March... It's hard to believe they haven't figured out possible line up changes and or demands...

But I do agree with you Slash and Duff don't have a lot of input on the line up

Well didn't they say that Slash had dinner at Axl's house around October 2015? I think they only had the Coachella offer then they booked the April 1 show and the Vegas ones after. I don't think they had the lineup solidified until February or March 2016 (remember Duff's quote about waiting for Izzy at rehearsal).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Slash was in talks with axl since late march, early march 2015

15 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Well didn't they say that Slash had dinner at Axl's house around October 2015? I think they only had the Coachella offer then they booked the April 1 show and the Vegas ones after. I don't think they had the lineup solidified until February or March 2016 (remember Duff's quote about waiting for Izzy at rehearsal).

Slash was in talks with Axl since late march, early april 2015

Edited by Beto 22
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 10:46 PM, Tom-Ass said:

This band fucking needs something and he would certainly bring a spark atleast... I would love ot see him back in the mix.. I think he is kind of a douche but who cares.. He has proven chemistry with Slash and Duff and I am certain he would help elevate their performace to some extent. 

If Matt came back and played like he did on the UYI tour then I'd be fine with it, at this point!  I agree that this disaster of a band needs a shot in the arm! or head😄 My side notes to that would be that he's known as a guest musician, he doesn't get to do interviews, and he's not in the press shots. If his ego could take those 3 blows, he deserves the drum throne😁 and it would be great hearing Steven throwing shade at him all over again :D He is a complete egomaniac though, so I doubt he'd be happy in that role.

Frank is definitely the easier personality to get on with. I remember talking with some friends about putting a band together and they wanted a drummer that I didn't want, and they made the point of 'you can have a great drummer, but it's more fun in the band if you have a band member you get along with'... Frank is happy to be there, and isn't begging for screen time... he also doesn't mind them neutering his style to fit around Duff and Slash's idea of a "good drummer". I don't think Matt would be half as accommodating😄

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Pretty sure the reunion talks already started in late 2013/ early 2014, or hell, maybe even late 2012, if Jimmy Kimmel is to be believed!

But yeah Axl and Slash probably didn’t speak directly to one another until sometime in 2015.

Members of the Chinese Era says there were rumours within the band about a reunion on the 2014 tour

Edited by Beto 22
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Members of the Chinese Era says there were rumours within the band about a reunion on the 2014 tour

That's when Duff joined them for a few shows right? He kind of got things going then Axl called Slash in 2015.

3 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Slash was in talks with axl since late march, early march 2015

Slash was in talks with Axl since late march, early april 2015

Yeah ok but they didn't have any shows booked until later, and even then it wasn't 100% certain who was going to be playing until 2016.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Matt said in his book he talked there were "talks" about a reunion... 3 months later there was the announcement... If you think Slash was talkin' with Axl since March... It's hard to believe they haven't figured out possible line up changes and or demands...

But I do agree with you Slash and Duff don't have a lot of input on the line up

I think Slash and Duff had plenty of input. It appears some offer was made to Izzy. I imagine that all 3 discussed Izzy’s involvement. And, maybe Steven was considered. I still can’t make out what his planned involvement might have been. After those two failed to rejoin it was obvious Axl would stay with people he was comfortable playing with and with whom he has little negative history. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I think Slash and Duff had plenty of input. It appears some offer was made to Izzy. I imagine that all 3 discussed Izzy’s involvement. And, maybe Steven was considered. I still can’t make out what his planned involvement might have been. After those two failed to rejoin it was obvious Axl would stay with people he was comfortable playing with and with whom he has little negative history. 

Yrah. Im sure duff and slash remembered the axl and matt issues backstage during the illusions, and maybe asked axl, to at least ask anyway. Or maybe axl just flat out said no to Matt before the question was raised from duff and or sladh!.

I thought there was a talk from so called insiders of asking matt, and having steven do the some of the songs in some capacity. Maybe just the AFD ones, but was probably scrapped when axl thought about the chemistry in the band overall and decided to stick with Frank for being loyal over the years.

I wondered why brain and freese where never asked.......

Link to post
Share on other sites

No they shouldn't and won't. Great, in fact excellent drummer. Met him a few times and he's great with fans. Not a band member I could trust to have my back.

Had a responsibility to people who like rock star singers. Sometimes those guys need a shoulder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are forgetting that if Matt was there from the beginning (and he would be the obvious choice, since he could effortlessly play both the old and the new stuff), it would basically create an Axl vs. Velvet Revolver situation (again). Axl needed someone “on his side” too (I don’t really include 4tus here), and having the rhythm man behind you is a good foot in the door should anything happen. I’m not talking about any bickering here, but for Axl, the balance in the band is better with Frank on the drums. 
Which obviously doesn’t change the fact that Matt would be a better choice in any case. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I think Slash and Duff had plenty of input. It appears some offer was made to Izzy. I imagine that all 3 discussed Izzy’s involvement. And, maybe Steven was considered. I still can’t make out what his planned involvement might have been. After those two failed to rejoin it was obvious Axl would stay with people he was comfortable playing with and with whom he has little negative history. 

I think Steven involvement  had more input of Team Brazil than Slah and Duff... My personal belief is, if Slash and Duff had any input on the line up we would have a line up with Dave Kushner (Fortus doin' Buckethead/Bumble parts) and Matt or Brent Fitz on Drums.  

Edited by Beto 22
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...