2 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

I think Steven involvement  had more input of Team Brazil than Slah and Duff... My personal belief is, if Slash and Duff had any input on the line up we would have a line up with Dave Kushner (Fortus doin' Buckethead/Bumble parts) and Matt or Brent Fitz on Drums.  

Why Dave? They would just call Gilby.

• Like 1

I agree with you... But Gilby said his words about Chinese material before and let's say it wasn't the most positive things

And Gilby was offered the same deal that Matt and Steven... One off kind of thing with no money but paid expenses

Edited by Beto 22

5 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Maybe Brain wasn't invited because he decided to leave in the middle of a tour that at the particular time was very important to the organization... 

Fernando said they're still cool with Brain, plus he joined them on stage in 2012 with Robin... and he kept working for Axl even after CD came out, doing the remixes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fernando said they're still cool with Brain, plus he joined them on stage in 2012 with Robin... and he kept working for Axl even after CD came out, doing the remixes.

Yeah, for sure...

Doesn't mean he was reliable on a touring schedule as long as the reunion goes...

I know it's all personal taste and things like that... But to be honest, I really don't understad all the "love" towards Brain and the "hate" towards Frank

• Like 2

Matt and his repetitive drum fills on the Illusions lol.  Although that was Axl's idea.  Matt was better in Velvet Revolver.

Steven is/was/always will be the right drummer for GNR but he can't be counted on for mega tours.

Frankly, Frank is mediocre but he's not the biggest GNR problem.  That would be Axl's voice.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Yeah, for sure...

Doesn't mean he was reliable on a touring schedule as long as the reunion goes...

I know it's all personal taste and things like that... But to be honest, I really don't understad all the "love" towards Brain and the "hate" towards Frank

I don't think reliability was ever an issue for Brain, he only left in 2006 because his wife had a baby and Frank was already prepared to step in. If they'd asked him to join the NITL tour, he probably would've been every bit as reliable as Frank.

Brain is simply a better drummer IMO, and he fits the GNR songs better. Brains groove, style and sound are all superior to Franks - he's kind of like a blend between the technical abilities of Matt and the pure rock n' roll groove of Steven, while still clearly having his own signature. His drumming on Shackler's and Sorry are some good examples of that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Frank's not a bad drummer, but he plays a bit too much like a metal drummer instead of a classic rock drummer. It also doesn't help that the tone/compression of his kit is pretty bad...

Matt, good: reliable, professional, and amazing low tom sound (e.g. New Rose)

Matt, bad: shit snare sound, bit ploddy tempo overall sometimes

I think his personality is fine, can be a funny storyteller. 

The thing about ego etc isn't an issue for me. I think he was basically the one band member who wasn't shy to get in Axl's face and tell him to get the fuck back on stage when he was flouncing. The others would just hide and drink. 

I'm not bothered about Frank, if the band's happy with him then I am, I don't get the excessive hatred he receives, half the time it doesn't even seem to be based on anything musical, just some lame feeling that he's a new guy who doesn't deserve to be in the lineup, doesn't have the right hairstyle, crap like that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

This considering Gilby apparently was asked but declined.  I hope that door opens again.

He was asked for a day that he wasn't available for. I'm saying that if Fortus hadn't been in the picture when the reunion was announced then I'm sure they would've just called Gilby. I mean for the HOF performance they got him instead of Dave, and he's played with them before in Kings of Chaos (not Dave) so I don't see why people think that Dave would be involved.

• Like 1

HOF was a tribute to the "Golden Age" of GNR... And it was a good way to Duff and mostly Slash  to perpetuate the image that old guns was a gang that Axl's ego destroyed. So including Gilby was the only choice.

Kings Of Chaos is a Matt project of superstars and partials GNR reunion... Dave was neither one or the other 

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would agree with this but for whatever reason Slash and Duff's playing is amazing when playing with Matt... 

I always assumed it was some weird combination of timing and power. Where Sorum lacked groove he made up with his power to accentuate those punchy riffs. It seems like they just figured each other out by '93.

Fitz does a pretty good job of almost matching it - especially on Nightrain. Ferrer just sucks the life out of that song. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FuriousStyles said:

I always assumed it was some weird combination of timing and power. Where Sorum lacked groove he made up with his power to accentuate those punchy riffs. It seems like they just figured each other out by '93.

Fitz does a pretty good job of almost matching it - especially on Nightrain. Ferrer just sucks the life out of that song. 

Honestly Fitzy can play circles around all of those guys, even though he's told me several times in the past "I'm not the best drummer" etc. He can play pretty much anything, except maybe Slipknot style metal.

• Like 1

In regards to the timeline to the reunion, this is how I've always seen it played out (from various interview, forums, etc). 

-Big thaw in 2014 when Slash gave reasonable demands in regards to the Appetite for Democracy concert movie. Apparently this was when the "thaw" in Axl and Slash's relationship began, and it seemed like there was a future where the two of them could at least move forward in unison on business decisions. My educated guess would be this was where Bumblefoot's statements about reunion rumors starting during his time in the band came from (even if they were more scuttlebutt than actual truth). 

-Regular communications between the two "camps" started in late 2014/early 2015. At this point, Axl was apparently still working towards releasing new music with the current lineup of GN'R and had done work in the studio, but the possibility of Slash joining for a song or showing up at shows (like Izzy) seemed much greater. 

-DJ quite the band in, if I remember correctly, July 2015 which apparently caught Axl completely off guard. I would imagine this was when things started moving towards a "reunion" angle. As someone else pointed out above, I think Axl mentioned reaching out to Slash and having dinner with him in fall 2015. 

Per certain wrestlers who used to be heavily involved in the community, Duff and Slash both pushed for Matt to re-join multiple times during initial negotiations. Their reasoning (reasonably enough) was they had the musical relationship with Matt and knew he could play the songs with them. After a few times asking, Axl apparently told them he was not going to change his mind on Frank, and to move on. Like someone else said, I do not think Matt lied about Duff's statements about needing to rehearse because Matt was not a member, but I do think this could have just as likely been a cushion to Matt's ego as a genuine sentiment.  

Negotiations and plans in Guns n' Roses, even during a relatively stable period in the band's history (like 2016 onwards), seem to occur rapidly at the eleventh hour. I would not be surprised if lineup discussions and considerations were happening until the last minute. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Honestly Fitzy can play circles around all of those guys, even though he's told me several times in the past "I'm not the best drummer" etc. He can play pretty much anything, except maybe Slipknot style metal.

Fitzy is my second favorite GNR related drummer behind only Steven. In my opinion he has both Steven and Matt's best qualities rolled into one. Technically proficient and creative like Matt and groovy like Steven. GNR would be a million times better with him behind the kit instead of Frank. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

As someone else pointed out above, I think Axl mentioned reaching out to Slash and having dinner with him in fall 2015. 

I remember reading an interview with Slash where he said Axl called him while he was on tour in Europe 2015 so that would have been spring/early summer!