Saskatoon 93

On 9/7/2021 at 5:42 PM, WhazUp said:

This gig further cemented just how amazing 1993 was for Axl in particular.  He found his vocal groove, where his voice seemingly was in full control of his rasp and he didn't have the "razor blade gargling" sounds of '92 which in my opinion was a bit overkill. 

Add in the acoustic set and I just find it a shame the band wasn't able to keep itself together in that iteration for a new album in '94 or '95

I too wanted an album of original material from this line up. Listen to the first Snakepit and we got pretty close (Slash, Gilby, Matt, Dizzy). Duff's Believe In Me had everyone except Axl guest on it. Surprisingly Gilby's excellent Pawnshop Guitars had everyone from GN'R including Axl guest on it.

To me Gilby got fired for one reason. He was the first one to say GN'R didn't need three guitarists and to go all industrial or whatever. The whole Axl didn't think he could write with Gilby is crap. Kill For Thrills (before he joined), solo albums, 1st Snakepit Col Parker and more show Gilby can write catchy tunes.

It's tragic that all we got from this line up was Spaghetti and Live Era.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

I too wanted an album of original material from this line up. Listen to the first Snakepit and we got pretty close (Slash, Gilby, Matt, Dizzy). Duff's Believe In Me had everyone except Axl guest on it. Surprisingly Gilby's excellent Pawnshop Guitars had everyone from GN'R including Axl guest on it.

To me Gilby got fired for one reason. He was the first one to say GN'R didn't need three guitarists and to go all industrial or whatever. The whole Axl didn't think he could write with Gilby is crap. Kill For Thrills (before he joined), solo albums, 1st Snakepit Col Parker and more show Gilby can write catchy tunes.

It's tragic that all we got from this line up was Spaghetti and Live Era.

But there were not such issues about going "full industrial" or having three guitarists like NuGnR then.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

But there were not such issues about going "full industrial" or having three guitarists like NuGnR then.

I can't remember what article or book I read it in but I remember Gilby saying Axl tried to bring him into his vision of the future of GN'R. It included more than two guitarists which did indeed happen. No by the time CD finally came out there wasn't a lot of industrial sound to it. But it's funny how after Gilby spoke his mind his pay checks stopped and was let go.

2 hours ago, Ugly_Kid_Jose said:

gilby critized "SIHY," like first single of the spaguetti incident

And.....? GN'R had made this big deal of how it was going to be a punk rock tribute record. And then the album opener and main single is a 50's era doo wop cover. He had a point.

But having an honest opinion about a cover version didn't get him fired. Axl guested on Gilby's debut solo album a year later. 

2 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

I can't remember what article or book I read it in but I remember Gilby saying Axl tried to bring him into his vision of the future of GN'R. It included more than two guitarists which did indeed happen. No by the time CD finally came out there wasn't a lot of industrial sound to it. But it's funny how after Gilby spoke his mind his pay checks stopped and was let go.

There are really no contemporary sources suggesting that Axl wanted to go "full industrial" - he was only talking in 1992 about thinking to do a solo project with Trent Reznor and Dave Grohl. He apparently wanted to explore and incorporate some more "modern" sounds, but not "full industrial". Gilby apparently was against those modern sounds, but I don't think it had to do with it - or rather it had partially to do with Gilby siding with Slash about the Snakepit  demos that Axl didn't like.

As for the three guitars thing, it wasn't a thing in the same way as in NuGnR. It seems Axl wanted to bring in Paul Tobias as a studio guitar player and writer (because he didn't think Gilby was good enough for writing) and keep Gilby, too, on the side and for touring; and Gilby didn't agree with that arrangement.

Anyway, I don't think this is the right thread for this topic.

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There are really no contemporary sources suggesting that Axl wanted to go "full industrial" - he was only talking in 1992 about thinking to do a solo project with Trent Reznor and Dave Grohl. He apparently wanted to explore and incorporate some more "modern" sounds, but not "full industrial". Gilby apparently was against those modern sounds, but I don't think it had to do with it - or rather it had partially to do with Gilby siding with Slash about the Snakepit  demos that Axl didn't like.

As for the three guitars thing, it wasn't a thing in the same way as in NuGnR. It seems Axl wanted to bring in Paul Tobias as a studio guitar player and writer (because he didn't think Gilby was good enough for writing) and keep Gilby, too, on the side and for touring; and Gilby didn't agree with that arrangement.

Anyway, I don't think this is the right thread for this topic.

Well yeah of course Gilby was gonna side with Slash about the songs Axl rejected which became Snakepit songs. Cos Gilby co wrote some of them. Monkey Chow he wrote. 

Like I said Kill For Thrills album and EP and Pawnshop Guitars were out by the time Gilby was let go. Pawnshop and Gilby's ability to craft decent rocking tunes was commented on in lots of reviews. I never bought the Axl not being able to write with Gilby excuse. Axl just doesn't like people standing up to him.

Replacing Slash with Robin from Nine Inch Nails was a statement of where Axl wanted the next albums sound to go. Funny that when it came out it wasn't industrial at all.

Anyway like you said we're getting a bit off topic. Fun to chat tho.

The post-UYI rhythm guitar slot was a key bridgehead in the coming Axl-Slash "War". Gilby was collateral damage (which is why IMHO Axl still threw him a bone on Pawnshop, or played w/him in 2000).

Personally, the UYI Touring Line-up is still my favorite (sound sooooo good on TSI? IMHO)- and Saskatoon '93 is a great example of why.

1 hour ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

The post-UYI rhythm guitar slot was a key bridgehead in the coming Axl-Slash "War". Gilby was collateral damage (which is why IMHO Axl still threw him a bone on Pawnshop, or played w/him in 2000).

Personally, the UYI Touring Line-up is still my favorite (sound sooooo good on TSI? IMHO)- and Saskatoon '93 is a great example of why.

Axl didn't throw Gilby any bones. Pawnshop Guitars was recorded and released before Gilby was let go. And Slash, Duff Matt and Dizzy all guested too. Axl and Gilby hadn't seen each other for six years when they saw each other in 2000 and Axl got up for a song or two. They'd both matured and moved on and we're probably just happy to see an old friend.