Songs We’ll Never Hear Live

I don’t start many threads (can remember maybe one or two in all those years), but something in one of the other threads made me think about certain songs. So I’ve made this weird little list. It essentially encompasses stuff we’ve already talked about in part, but whatever. 

Songs we’ll never hear live (ever, or again):

A) Because there’s no way Axl could handle it*
* unless a miracle happens and he gets back to at least the 2016 form

1. Definitely not:
- Reckless Life
- Right Next Door to Hell 
- Garden of Eden 
- Don’t Damn Me 
- Shotgun Blues 
- Human Being (remember? It’s from Spaghetti) 

2. Probably not:
- Mama Kin (could be tricky, think about it)
- Perfect Crime (was gonna put it in group 1, but what the hell) 
- Breakdown 
- Scraped 
- I.R.S.
- The Garden (see Mama Kin)  

B) Because of politics or just some other reasons:

1. Definitely not:
- One in a Million (no shit)
- Get in the Ring (unless it gets new lyrics, about Trump; but it’s too late now) 
- My World (shame!) 

2. Probably not:
- Think about You (lovely song, was played 18 (edit: also 14) years ago, otherwise I wouldn’t even mention it) 
- Anything Goes 
- most of the Spaghetti songs 
- Oh My God 
- Riad N' the Bedouins (same as Think about You in a way) 

* C) Bonus – songs I don’t wanna hear from the 2018–20 shape Axl:

Definitely not (any of the following):
- Sweet Child O’ Mine (note: they’ll play it anyway, I know) 
- Rocket Queen (see the note at SCOM)
- Used to Love Her 
- November Rain (see the note at RQ) 
- Coma (see the note at NR)
- Civil War (see the note at Coma) 
- Yesterdays 
- Knockin' on Heaven's Door (see the note at CW) 
- You Could Be Mine (see the note at KOHD) 
- Better (see the note at YCBM)
- This I Love 
- Hard School (you read it right; I’ve heard the soundcheck) 

Discuss!

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jamillos said:

2. Probably not:

At first I thought "What if Areosmith guests with them?"

And then I thought "Wait, why hasnt Areosmith guested with them yet?"

And then I remembered that s the reunion was just getting announced, lots of people including Tyler spoke to media about their 'role' in the reunion. And then Guns tweeted out a sarcastic thank you to all those claiming to have played a role.

At the time I just assumed it wasnt targeted at Tyler as well. But he was one of the few people making those claims:shrugs:

• Like 1

Sympathy for the Devil
- it's definitely my favourite cover and it's a bummer we'll probably never hear it live ... both because of Axl's current vocal abilities and especially not because of the band's history connected to this unfortunate recording

53 minutes ago, jamillos said:

- Think about You (lovely song, was played 18 years ago, otherwise I wouldn’t even mention it) 

Actually 14 years ago - it was also played a couple of times in 2006 ... just sayin

• Like 3

I’ve replied on the other thread....🤣......but still think if he can do SOYL he can do Reckless Life. I wouldn’t expect it to be killer but could be pretty good. Some of the versions from NITL were very good (the Iceland one is horrific right enough) so it could be done - the others unfortunately are more unforgiving and not much breathing opportunities.

1 hour ago, sakuL_ said:

Sympathy for the Devil
- it's definitely my favourite cover and it's a bummer we'll probably never hear it live ... both because of Axl's current vocal abilities and especially not because of the band's history connected to this unfortunate recording

Actually 14 years ago - it was also played a couple of times in 2006 ... just sayin

Must have forgotten, I don't even remember hearing it! 

Wow, here's the crazy part: amont other gigs, they apparently played it in Prague with Izzy, which is a concert I went to, and now I don't even remember. Shit, I'm getting old. But... it was 14 years ago. 

Edited by jamillos

6 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I can see them having a go at Don't Damn Me at some point in the future.....

DDM is up there with Perfect Crime and RNDTH - namely breath-wise IMO, which is why I've included it in that group. The fact they've never played it is a different thing, but I think there are spots in that song which would be extremely difficult due to almost zero breath space. It's not like Coma, as some have suggested in the past, because that song's ending does have some convenient pauses. I seriously can't imagine a 2020 Axl singing this tune. Would be great though.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Must have forgotten, I don't even remember hearing it! 

Wow, here's the crazy part: amont other gigs, they apparently played it in Prague with Izzy, which is a concert I went to, and now I don't even remember. Shit, I'm getting old. But... it was 14 years ago. 

Yeah, I was there too. It was absolutely crazy and awesome when Izzy came for the song on stage. I remember every second of it on the contrary. :) 

2 hours ago, sakuL_ said:

Sympathy for the Devil

Apparently 14 years Axl jus t sing when Izzy is. I love it song. If Izzy isn't back i guess that never them will play it .

2 hours ago, sakuL_ said:

Sympathy for the Devil

I'm partial to Since I Don't Have You. They would tease the beginning in 93 in front of SCOM and it sounded great. I think its completely doable with Axl's current voice.

It would be great if Sympathy was played. I could see Axl alluding to its history in a tongue in cheek way.

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

DDM is up there with Perfect Crime and RNDTH - namely breath-wise IMO, which is why I've included it in that group. The fact they've never played it is a different thing, but I think there are spots in that song which would be extremely difficult due to almost zero breath space. It's not like Coma, as some have suggested in the past, because that song's ending does have some convenient pauses. I seriously can't imagine a 2020 Axl singing this tune. Would be great though.

I could see a rearranged or slower version of Don't Damn Me. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like a significant song for them to play. Locomotive is a cool song and almost a title track. Dead Horse at least had a video made for it. 

Breakdown would be cool to see. It's the last epic from those albums and hasn't been played since 91. 

I'll give the band credit. It's not new stuff but they've seemed to slowly been digging into their catalog. So Fine was played at the Mexico concert for the first time since 93. It's not an Axl led song but I think he's been slowly warming up to performing songs from that era.

5 hours ago, jamillos said:

I don’t start many threads (can remember maybe one or two in all those years), but something in one of the other threads made me think about certain songs. So I’ve made this weird little list. It essentially encompasses stuff we’ve already talked about in part, but whatever. 

Songs we’ll never hear live (ever, or again):

A) Because there’s no way Axl could handle it*
* unless a miracle happens and he gets back to at least the 2016 form

1. Definitely not:
- Reckless Life
- Right Next Door to Hell 
- Garden of Eden 
- Don’t Damn Me 
- Shotgun Blues 
- Human Being (remember? It’s from Spaghetti) 

2. Probably not:
- Perfect Crime (was gonna put it in group 1, but what the hell) 
- Breakdown 
- Scraped 
- I.R.S.
- The Garden (see Mama Kin)  

B) Because of politics or just some other reasons:

1. Definitely not:
- One in a Million (no shit)
- Get in the Ring (unless it gets new lyrics, about Trump; but it’s too late now) 
- My World (shame!) 

2. Probably not:
- Think about You (lovely song, was played 18 (edit: also 14) years ago, otherwise I wouldn’t even mention it) 
- Anything Goes 
- most of the Spaghetti songs 
- Oh My God 
- Riad N' the Bedouins (same as Think about You in a way) 

* C) Bonus – songs I don’t wanna hear from the 2018–20 shape Axl:

Definitely not (any of the following):
- Sweet Child O’ Mine (note: they’ll play it anyway, I know) 
- Rocket Queen (see the note at SCOM)
- Used to Love Her 
- November Rain (see the note at RQ) 
- Coma (see the note at NR)
- Civil War (see the note at Coma) 
- Yesterdays 
- Knockin' on Heaven's Door (see the note at CW) 
- You Could Be Mine (see the note at KOHD) 
- Better (see the note at YCBM)
- This I Love 
- Hard School (you read it right; I’ve heard the soundcheck) 

Discuss!

Hardschool? Have you heard the entire soundcheck performance? I don't know if anybody outside of people in the  venue have heard that... if you have and you don't like it cool. If you are basing your opinion on 20seconds of Hardschool filmed with a phone that is barely capturing the audio I have no idea what you're smoking, but stop. 

If Hardschool remains in the same arrangement to the early 00s version, I don't want to hear it. That's hearing a full song, so I'm comfortable writing that off.

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Axl actually sounds pretty good there. If i remember correctly, they also soundchecked Pretty Tied Up (not completely sure though).

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

2 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Axl actually sounds pretty good there. If i remember correctly, they also soundchecked Pretty Tied Up (not completely sure though).

Yea they did. He sounded a lot better on Pretty Tied Up imo. It's only a short clip, but the chorus sounded a lot better than I expected...

Verse https://streamable.com/n3to5o

Chorus https://streamable.com/injkw0

• Like 1