What is your GN'R 'holy grail'?

In my dream world there would exist a documentary series depicting the making of each album (with a majority of the series showing clips from preproduction/working on songs and recording them in the studio). Six one hour episodes for every album, no censorship, showing it like it really were. The team behind "the last dance" would make for a good producer.

Edited by Homefuck
  • Like 1

'91-'93 proshots, songs like Perfect Crime, Dust N' Bones, The Garden, Right Next Door To Hell, Don't Cry (alt) with official proshots.

CD stuff is definitely worth considering, lots of material and wasted potential; but to me the UYI records had even more potential. The killer tracks got watered down by bad production. Locomotive, Coma, Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden, Civil War, were oversaturated with sound effects, extra dubbed vocals, and bad mixing.

• Like 1

Assuming new material with Slash and Duff (and maybe some Izzy tunes in the mix) is out of the question:

For me at this point probably the UYI documentary footage is number 1.  Number 2 would be unaltered, as-is songs from the CD era such as The General with vocals

After that?  A proper release of a full show from the '80s or '90s with properly mixed audio and no edits/fixes

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

I always considered HOB 01.01.01 video to be the Holy Grail so I'm glad that one got out :)

The Izzy/Slash/Duff/Taz recordings would be cool to hear, I'd say they're my new Holy Grail but I'd be happy to see/hear just about everything else that has already been mentioned too :thumbsup:

48 minutes ago, downliner said:

I always considered HOB 01.01.01 video to be the Holy Grail so I'm glad that one got out :)

The Izzy/Slash/Duff/Taz recordings would be cool to hear, I'd say they're my new Holy Grail but I'd be happy to see/hear just about everything else that has already been mentioned too :thumbsup:

Just curious, did the HOB show meet your expectations? 

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Just curious, did the HOB show meet your expectations? 

Yeh I thought it was great, didn't everyone? :D I hadn't listened to that audio boot since around 02/03, and the only multi-cam/pro bootleg that I'd seen from that era was Rio 3 so it was cool to finally see another one :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Unheard songs with vocals from 1999-2004.

This. Everything else is nice to have at best. I'd enjoy some pro-shot live footage from anywhere between 1986 and 2007, but the 1997-2004 recordings are the only thing I'd genuinely go apeshit over. And, in fact, the only thing I'd still be willing to spend money on. 

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

-That Izzy record that featured Slash and Duff which Izzy never released

-The Project's record with Izzy

Technically not GnR stuff, but I'd really like to hear this as well. Love Izzy's solo work! 

Any new 1987/1988 proshots or just decent video and audio of full shows from then. They do exist. I found a snippet of one that no one had seen in the middle of an old TV feature a while ago, posted it up here and no one had seen it before or knew of the full video.

I think the conclusion was that the TV producers must have the full show in their archive, the snippet had its logo on it. Axl was singing KOHD with the teased hair, haha

11 hours ago, Nodnarb901 said:

I remembered hearing that Axl/GNR recorded something with either NWA or just Easy-E. 

I believe it was called yellow brick road to Compton. 

Would love to hear that.

I've always been fascinated by the GnR/NWA thing too. I don't think there is any track with Axl and Easy on though. I think Slash said there was some demo, that was more GnR than NWA.