Your views on GNR's 2020

23 hours ago, RussTCB said:

1000%  let's look at the breakdown:

Other artists-

Started putting on socially distanced shows for their fans and/or charities like Save Our Stages (too many examples to name) 

Released new albums that were already planned (McCartney, Lady Gaga, Sturgill Simpson, many others) 

Released one, if not two brand new surprise albums that were recorded with all the downtime (Eminem, Taylor Swift and others) 

Released YouTube, Facebook or reddit Q&As  as well as releasing classic concert footage or films for fans to enjoy while quarantined (Paul Stanley, members of Pink Floyd, The Lone Bellow, Queen, Michael Jackson and others) 

Guns N' Roses-

Barely released (overall) extremely poor / half assed footage from the prior tour while trying to blame the pandemic for the fact that it wasn't done right at all. 

All the stuff listed under "Other Artists" is just what I could think of odd the top of my head. The stuff listed under "Guns N' Roses" is a complete list of everything they accomplished. 

Dylan's new one is a masterpiece. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

Most of my favourite bands have done even less than GnR this year and there are reasons for that. Think about it.

A lot of artists I like at least managed to release something, even if it wasn't new music. One of my favourite artists (Yelawolf) released a few music videos for songs that are over a year old... but he also kept his fans up to date on new music - he's got 7 projects on the go (some complete) and is dropping his next album around February. Updates like that from GNR wouldn't have been too much to ask. :shrugs:

To Axl, Slash and Duff Guns n Roses is something they did yesterday but making them money today.  Hence no interest anymore, thats life, things change, different priorities.  Not much we can do about it except enjoy what has already been and find other bands in the present.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

A lot of artists I like at least managed to release something, even if it wasn't new music. One of my favourite artists (Yelawolf) released a few music videos for songs that are over a year old... but he also kept his fans up to date on new music - he's got 7 projects on the go (some complete) and is dropping his next album around February. Updates like that from GNR wouldn't have been too much to ask. :shrugs:

Didn't GnR release live videos? Of course there was a lot to complain about that on here as always, but that's already more than what many other bands have done that I like.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Didn't GnR release live videos? Of course there was a lot to complain about that on here as always, but that's already more than what many other bands have done that I like.

That's why I used Yela as a comparison - he only released some videos but in the meantime kept his fans updated and hyped for new music. He even included little snippets of new songs in the videos for his older songs. Just little updates on music would've been nice from GNR.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's like the bare minimum. Other bands that I like released new music, played livestream shows, and showed that they were actively recording etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's like the bare minimum. Other bands that I like released new music, played livestream shows, and showed that they were actively recording etc.

And many bands I like didn't do shit all year, or maybe they've been active, but there has been a radio silence for the most part. And I'm not complaining, it is what it is. We've been facing the worst crisis since the second world war. No time to be selfish, we don't even know if some of them have been affected by all this on a personal level.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

I was supposed to see GNR in August in concert in Texas, but then the covid hit, so that sucked! Now GNR has no new Texas dates at all. I'm still hoping things will change by next summer. GNR has a huge fan base here in Texas. I don't want to think about if/when GNR comes back to Texas again?

I still listen to GNR's albums alot so that hasn't changed.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised. If gnr are not on tour, they say and do nothing, this is just how it's been since forever. The only stuff they were actively doing was trying make sure they can reschedule their tour 2021.

The selects while... yeah, we asked for footage!! But we didn't say "just release any old shite". The selects are a great unintentionally honest representation of the band live🤣

As for not releasing new music, or doing a q&a... well, Slash, Duff, Richard and Frank have all done interviews... but I guess we're basically saying Axl has been silent. New record? They should have put it out if it was ready, waiting and waiting will have no benefit. One of gnrs biggest issues is waiting and overthinking everything!

Overall though, I feel way more positive about gnr right now, than I have in ages... and that's because I actually don't care anymore (of course I'll listen to what they put out). 

The way I look at us (forum fans) is, we're the base, then you have everybody else on top. We're the people that buy everything, fly to multiple shows and buy all the crazy expensive merch. The band can't cater to every demand, but doing basically nothing has fragmented that base so in my opinion that should be the first thing they work on in 2021. A non fluff Interview with Axl, Slash, Duff. Firm update on a new record, no BS "we'll see.... seriously looking at it.... we want to" just "it's nearly done, should be ready for the tour". Boom! Everybody is happy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chuzeville said:

It's a detail, but I don't think McCartney III was planned; it's seems to be a product of quarantine.

Hell that even makes GNR look worse lol!  Paul during this lockdown recorded an entire album with himself as the producer and playing all the instruments and released it within a few months time - meanwhile Axl since 2016 can't even manage to take the stable lineup he has with proven workhorses in Slash and Duff and release an album or a single song.  Not even mentioning the tons of CD era material he could have released as-is anytime up until the reunion too

11 hours ago, Chuzeville said:

It's a detail, but I don't think McCartney III was planned; it's seems to be a product of quarantine.

Hell that even makes GNR look worse lol!  Paul during this lockdown recorded an entire album with himself as the producer and playing all the instruments and released it within a few months time - meanwhile Axl since 2016 can't even manage to take the stable lineup he has with proven workhorses in Slash and Duff and release an album or a single song.  Not even mentioning the tons of CD era material he could have released as-is anytime up until the reunion too

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

One of the funny parts about Axl refusing to release new music, is that he recorded all the vocals for Rock The Rock in a few hours (and even took a dinner break.) The guy just doesn't seem interested in new GNR music, but if something more interesting comes along, like Bugs Bunny, he functions like a regular musician.

Even if they were to say "we've got a few songs done, but realistically we're still 12-18 months away from releasing an album" it would at least reassure fans that there's an intention to release music. And I don't mean Susan or Fernando hinting at the existence of unreleased songs that might possibly maybe be released in 'X' months. :shrugs:

Edited by Gordon Comstock

One of my favourite artists, a stoner east coast folkie named Jenn Grant, is presenting a PPV christmas eve variety show from her kitchen. Its the first big splash shes made since the pandemic. Mostly because shes an attentive mother. Also because it seems the muse hand't struck. Im pumped! New Christmas album too. 

So, If Axl Rose doesnt hop online an bake a chocolate babka, while dueting a Christmas version of "It tastes good, dont it" with the McKagan clan, while Beta shimmies in the background in a Mrs Claus outfit - I will rage quit Guns N Roses. 

:P:lol::hug::dj: 

• Haha 1

For me, 2020 highlighted the fact that Guns N' Roses will under no circumstances release new music. They are content to be a touring juggernaut. If they can't find time to record an album during a worldwide pandemic, they never will. I'd bet almost anything there is not one completed studio track. It's pathetic.

I don't know if, in the case of GnR, an update would make a difference. Even if Axl came out and announced that they've been working on new music (and even if he gave a tentative timeline which he'd totally believe at the time), it wouldn't mean much given the band's (Axl's) past history. It would grow anticipation, but if the timeline wasn't met (highly possible), the frustration would be bigger than it is now. Maybe it's better that they don't say anything. 

I also find it mind-boggling when people say that even the 2012-14 band was more a band than the NITL band or that it was better. What was better? Axl's voice? DJ Ashba? (Sure, it's all subjective and to each their own etc., but I genuinely can't fathom how anyone would consider GnR with Ashba better than GnR with Slash). Or was there new music then?

The only explanation I can think of is that it's fan psychology that doesn't have to do with the band itself or its performances, but, basically with the feeling of intimacy and of being a member of a community that is important to the band. The band then was smaller and the hardcore fans who followed it felt that it was "their own" niche thing and that they mattered more (regardless of what the band did or didn't); whereas now the band is bigger and it relies on casuals for the shows, which creates a feeling of non-acknowledgement. 

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know if, in the case of GnR, an update would make a difference. Even if Axl came out and announced that they've been working on new music (and even if he gave a tentative timeline which he'd totally believe at the time), it wouldn't mean much given the band's (Axl's) past history. It would grow anticipation, but if the timeline wasn't met (highly possible), the frustration would be bigger than it is now. Maybe it's better that they don't say anything. 

I also find it mind-boggling when people say that even the 2012-14 band was more a band than the NITL band or that it was better. What was better? Axl's voice? DJ Ashba? (Sure, it's all subjective and to each their own etc., but I genuinely can't fathom how anyone would consider GnR with Ashba better than GnR with Slash). Or was there new music then?

The only explanation I can think of is that it's fan psychology that doesn't have to do with the band itself or its performances, but, basically with the feeling of intimacy and of being a member of a community that is important to the band. The band then was smaller and the hardcore fans who followed it felt that it was "their own" niche thing and that they mattered more (regardless of what the band did or didn't); whereas now the band is bigger and it relies on casuals for the shows, which creates a feeling of non-acknowledgement. 

I know what you mean, but i think it comes down to perception and expectations.

Axl and Ashba - the perception was low (a cash grab greatest hits live line up) and expectations were low and frequently met.

Axl and Slash perceptions were high (the "reunion") and expectations higher (new music, set lists, re-releases) and have not been met at all. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I agree, although never saying anything and disclosing particular dates are two extremes, and we’re not asking for either, are we. All it takes is them posting a photo from a studio, with Axl holding a cigar and sitting next to Slash holding a guitar (Duff optional), and there would be a message beneath the photo saying something like “Hey, we’re working on that. Stay safe out there.”
All it takes. No dates, no promises, nothing (also no “F’n” and no “fam”). Absolute satisfaction. 
But alas…  

• Like 1