Have You Given Up On The Band?

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I guess curiosity might be a better word than hype. But still there was Rolling Stone articles, Axl interviews, Classic Rock called it album of the year based purely on the leaks... there was relative buzz. When I say there was hype, they weren't competing with Kanye or anything like that but they were doing respectable numbers. The US markets were hit or miss though to be fair.

I used to listen to Contraband all the time when it was released and sporadically for years afterwards but I listened to it for the first time in a long time and it just didn't click for me, was kind of a chore to get through.

I lost a bet with a co-worker as he said 'I bet the album doesn't even get to number 1, and Kanye does'! 

For me, CD is streets ahead of anything VR ever did.....but that's a personal taste thing. Weirdly though I like the VR albums a lot more now than I did at the time, for some reason, when I found them a bit 'by numbers' and formulaic. 

18 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Fair point.

There were also a rock radio station who played the first single Chinese Democracy every half an our when it dropped. We even had some TV ads.

That Dr Pepper thing worked for both sides, though it was a marketing clue from Pepper itself.

But then again, Axl disappeared for three months or something, there weren't any interviews, no hit singles with music videos to promote anything, Walmart didn't get rid of the copies they ordered, the selling numbers weren't good at all.

There was a very short amount of time were you thought something is moving. 

But it was nothing compared to the hype the classic line up generated.

Yeah Axl definitely laid an egg with the momentum it had at release. The tour didn’t start until a year later, and it featured a new guitar player who wasn’t even on the album.
I forgot about the tv commercials. They was one for Chinese democracy and there was a Harley Davidson commercial at one point that featured better, and maybe paradise city? I’m not certain on that, but either way, wasted potential!  

18 minutes ago, mikeman5150 said:

They was one for Chinese democracy and there was a Harley Davidson commercial at one point that featured better, and maybe paradise city? I’m not certain on that, but either way, wasted potential!  

Yeah the Harley one had "Better" but then it got pulled. Anyone remember that 06 documentary that was being filmed and then vanished? 

2 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

Yeah the Harley one had "Better" but then it got pulled. Anyone remember that 06 documentary that was being filmed and then vanished? 

I don’t specifically remember a documentary in 06’, but I’m not surprised it got pulled. Just like the video for better. It was cool, showed a pretty accurate picture of what the band was like at that time. Axl basically shows up, and walks right to the stage, says something like what’s up to Izzy (probably the first he’d seen him in years) along the way lol. 

2 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

I just did a search and the better and paradise city versions of the harley commercial are still out there. If anyone is interested in checking them out. Black sheep commercial 

I was playing Rock Band 4 yesterday, which of course had CHINESE DEMOCRACY as downloadable content. That was a huge get too. Rock Band 2 with the world premiere of Shacklers Revenge. They sold lots of that DLC too, it was a big deal and sat top of the Microsoft Store for two weeks.

So much wasted potential. Far too much. They hooked a whole new generation in with it and really just shit the bed by not following up with more for gamers. I think it was partly due to the lawsuits between the band at the time, but they really did have something there.

Oh and I’m still too 100 at vocals for TWAT, This I Love and Madagascar. Epic times.

• Like 2

Hey guys, rarely post here but infrequently read posts. I agree with a lot of the frustrations so thought I'd chuck in my twopence worth! I think GNR is a little bit irrelevant these days. The reunion had high hopes, and I even saw them in NYC,  flying over from Glasgow, which was awesome. But listening to the recent NITL video clips, they are not very good at all. There's no getting away from the fact that Axl has let himself go something hellish the past few years and Slash just seems keen to solo his way through a show. The lack of new material is astonishing, and 15 years minimum between albums is mental. Would love to hear some new kick ass GNR, but I am now resigned to the fact this is no more than a nostalgia show band doing the rounds, rather than a serious outfit. I would still listen if something new did come out, but I can't see it happening. Happy to be proven wrong though.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Hey guys, rarely post here but infrequently read posts. I agree with a lot of the frustrations so thought I'd chuck in my twopence worth! I think GNR is a little bit irrelevant these days. The reunion had high hopes, and I even saw them in NYC,  flying over from Glasgow, which was awesome. But listening to the recent NITL video clips, they are not very good at all. There's no getting away from the fact that Axl has let himself go something hellish the past few years and Slash just seems keen to solo his way through a show. The lack of new material is astonishing, and 15 years minimum between albums is mental. Would love to hear some new kick ass GNR, but I am now resigned to the fact this is no more than a nostalgia show band doing the rounds, rather than a serious outfit. I would still listen if something new did come out, but I can't see it happening. Happy to be proven wrong though.

I think we are all hoping to be proved wrong!.

For the other forum readers,

Rembering downzeys comment on how he met with team brazil in what 2015?. And TB mention axl was looking to release a new record in 2016 i really dont get it. Why 2016 , almost 10 years past CD?. I dont get axls train of thought......

On 1/6/2021 at 8:26 AM, 19AT5 said:

Axl has let himself go something hellish the past few years

He used to be my favorite frontman out there but there is literally nothing left of him that is impressive in any sense of the word. I could care less if he ever released another second of new music.. They should just release everything they can find from the classic days.  They can do wonders with remastering these days.. Just looks at the Hendrix Maui show that was recently released. They should do that with the Melbourne 88 show and blow everyone's mind.. There are so many people that call out Guns as one of the most over rated bands. They should release shows like that to remind everyone and show others that never knew, how great they were.  Releasing new music with this lineup will be just as embarrassing as the NITL select videos. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

He used to be my favorite frontman out there but there is literally nothing left of him that is impressive in any sense of the word. I could care less if he ever released another second of new music.. They should just release everything they can find from the classic days.  They can do wonders with remastering these days.. Just looks at the Hendrix Maui show that was recently released. They should do that with the Melbourne 88 show and blow everyone's mind.. There are so many people that call out Guns as one of the most over rated bands. They should release shows like that to remind everyone and show others that never knew, how great they were.  Releasing new music with this lineup will be just as embarrassing as the NITL select videos. 

A remaster of the Melbourne '88 show would be great, always thought that show was way better than the Ritz show and deserved more appreciation.

At this point I'm basically just waiting for UYI and CD box sets. Classic live footage would be a nice bonus though.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 12:26 AM, 19AT5 said:

Pittman called it what it is back in 2015/16 before he got booted from the band. Nothing more than a nostalgia act.

The way things have turned out he was 100 percent right.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah he sucks horrifically now.

7 hours ago, vloors said:

Pittman called it what it is back in 2015/16 before he got booted from the band. Nothing more than a nostalgia act.

The way things have turned out he was 100 percent right.

Unfortunately. And maybe they let him go because they knew he was speaking the truth.

• Like 2

Classic lineup reunion was a pleasant surprise, and an even greater one when they sounded pretty great coming out of the gate. Then they were welcomed back with open arms in the rock community with the Dave Grohl throne thing and Axl kicking ass with AC/DC, there was reason to be excited, even feel slightly vindicated for staying invested. But then we had the steady decline in performance, the weird boxset schilling, the only "new" piece of music being a polished i.e. partially re-recorded b-side from 1986, then during a period where no touring is understandable but every other artist has found ways to give their fans content and release music, we have gotten some live videos and zero indication any new music is coming. It's hard for this not to feel bleak.

I've said it before, in the coming up on 5 years since the reunion, we likely will have gotten two SMKC albums, a Duff solo album, a richard produced Psychedlic Furs album, a band formed and broken up by the sons of Slash and Scott Weiland, a leak of what functionally is the 2001 version of Chinese Democracy I/II, a boxset with a repolished b-side, before a sniff of new music.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

There are so many people that call out Guns as one of the most over rated bands. 

It is difficult to argue otherwise! One album in 25 years is shocking return compared to other touring bands out there. Quality over quantity, true. But realistically GNR's whole reputation is based on AFD and to a significantly lesser extent the Illusions (though personally I'd listen to the latter more often but that's just me). With GNR it will always be a case of what could've been. The reunion came too late to be all that relevant, long term at least. The NITL videos have on the whole been crap. 

My hope for new songs has definitely dwindled; Axl isn't getting any younger, and it seems like the ship's sailing on anything happening with the NITL crew.  I'll always be a Guns N' Roses fan, but the most I have to look forward to now is whenever the rest of the Chinese sessions happen to leak.  The Bucket era stuff anyway, couldn't care less about anything Ashba contributed to.

9 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

How come? In what way? 

As I am disappointed with the band, I just didn't bother to actually follow the (lack of) news. But it's been really a downer to come in some other place and only see posts about Fernando, Beta and Axl being fat. Here it's actually better in this way, so there's that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

As I am disappointed with the band, I just didn't bother to actually follow the (lack of) news. But it's been really a downer to come in some other place and only see posts about Fernando, Beta and Axl being fat. Here it's actually better in this way, so there's that.

Ah right. Got you. 

• GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I am disappointed with the band, surely. But I kinda gave up on the fanbase a lot more. 

Across the boards people were positive when Axl was killing it with AC/DC, and the Houston proshots got positive responses. When Axl/GNR manage to do something well they get praised for it, it just hasn't happened too often over the last decade unfortunately. Most people on the forums still want the best from Axl, but if his performances are a joke, we may as well laugh at them. I think his voice is basically gone but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeeJay410 said:

I've said it before, in the coming up on 5 years since the reunion, we likely will have gotten two SMKC albums, a Duff solo album, a richard produced Psychedlic Furs album, a band formed and broken up by the sons of Slash and Scott Weiland, a leak of what functionally is the 2001 version of Chinese Democracy I/II, a boxset with a repolished b-side, before a sniff of new music.

You forgot the weirdest thing of them all... we got Axl singing on a new song for the Looney Tunes! But not Axl singing on a new song for his own band

• Like 2