Have You Given Up On The Band?

20 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Come on now, get your facts straight. The bowling alley show was a sell out! The Dollar Tree next door had plenty of copies of CD for sale to meet demand.

Imagine going to Dollar Tree and finding a bin full of red hand CD copies. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, username said:

Agreed. And yes, I could see them using 20yo vocal tracks too. But I just don't think I'd be interested in this band re-recording stuff from 20 years ago. Based on the village sessions there was real fire and ambition in it back then. They already seemed to have ruined that with all the re-writing, re-interpreting, re-recording and overproducing on Chinese Democracy. So I have zero faith they'd get it right now. What I might be interested in is an album of all new material that has been written since the reunion. A clean slate. But even then the heart and soul of this band seems so far gone I doubt it'd be good. From the way they handled the leaks to the bad communication and insults towards the fanbase to the youtube takedowns and the horrible cashgrab releases like L&L or GH.... The way the band and it's management are doing things leaves very little left to like. Enough for me to not want to spend a single cent on them anymore. 

Yeah - I understand that.....it’s all turning into a damned mess. And it’s all so easily avoidable.

"Have you given up on the band?" is a loaded question.

Have I stopped being a fan? No. I'm still a general fan who generally knows what's going on. I still know where everything stands, whether an album is coming out, around half of the rumored song titles, etc., etc. I have a general sense of the setlist used for the past four years and a general sense of any upcoming tour dates. If GNR comes through my way, I'll look into attending the show.

Have I lost a good deal of care and commitment? Certainly. I care just enough to visit this website once a week, maybe once every two weeks, and usually while absolutely bored at work. And it's probably the last stop on my boredom carousel, to be honest.

Go back to 2005-2010 and this was the first stop on the carousel. Hell, I'd go out of my way to get to a computer just to see if anything happened. I was on here for multiple hours per day ... mostly doing like everyone else was, just waiting. I've since grown tired of waiting and have moved on to devote most of my energy elsewhere.

The future of this band is nothing more than a fleeting thought now.

I think for me to "give up" on the band is an active decision. I'd say any drop has been much more passive. If an album comes out, that's great. I'll admit, though, that I'm certainly not expecting it or anticipating it or getting excited for it, not like the Chinese Democracy era of this band. It sucks, and when you really step back and analyze that, it's pretty shitty for the band to treat its fans this way. But as Axl once said on this forum, in paraphrase, he owes us nothing. So I guess that sort of seals it, yeah?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

So.... they filled stadiums.

To be fair they also filled some 30,000+ capacity venues in Asia and Europe (not including festivals).

They did, and they probably headlined some big festivals in europe too, but the point is, CD wasn't the reason for that or any other success this band received over the years. If any, than it subtracted GNRs legacy but most likely it was just ignored/overlooked by the general rock music fan.

It's one thing to prefer CD over Contraband, that's personal taste, an opinion, but Contraband was the more successful record by facts. It sold more copys, had the more successful singles and won even a grammy.

Denying that is twisting facts.

I know you weren't the one telling such things but talking to trolls doesn't make sense.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

They did, and they probably headlined some big festivals in europe too, but the point is, CD wasn't the reason for that or any other success this band received over the years. If any, than it subtracted GNRs legacy but most likely it was just ignored/overlooked by the general rock music fan.

It's one thing to prefer CD over Contraband, that's personal taste, an opinion, but Contraband was the more successful record by facts. It sold more copys, had the more successful singles and won even a grammy.

Denying that is twisting facts.

I know you weren't the one telling such things but talking to trolls doesn't make sense.

You could argue the leaks and hype around CD was (at least partially) the reason they were playing bigger venues in 2006 than they were in 2002, but generally speaking you're right. The hits will always be what puts most fans in the seats. Still, for the most part, they were a successful touring band.

As far as Contraband... when was the last time you actually listened to it in full? I remembered that album as being a lot better than it actually is, last time I listened to it I realized how poorly VR had aged.

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

So.... they filled stadiums.

To be fair they also filled some 30,000+ capacity venues in Asia and Europe (not including festivals).

remember when everyone in River Plate was belting out "sittin in a chinese stew!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ant said:

remember when everyone in River Plate was belting out "sittin in a chinese stew!!"

They sing along to guitar solos so probably :lol:

I've already said the hits are what filled the seats, but that doesn't change the fact that they were still a relatively successful touring band from about 2006-2011, especially outside the US markets. I think their largest non-festival show was Paraguay 2011 where they played a sold out 70,000 capacity stadium, pretty impressive for that era.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They sing along to guitar solos so probably :lol:

I've already said the hits are what filled the seats, but that doesn't change the fact that they were still a relatively successful touring band from about 2006-2011, especially outside the US markets. I think their largest non-festival show was Paraguay 2011 where they played a sold out 70,000 capacity stadium, pretty impressive for that era.

It is cause Paraguay was GNR first time. Different that Brazil and Argentina , not many bands go to Paraguay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I know many bands don't go there but it's still an impressive number, and they were doing 40-50,000 capacity stadiums in Argentina, Brazil and other South American countries.

Yeah, plus that Paraguay is an very little country, an different Argentina and Brazil isn't have great background in rock music.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

You could argue the leaks and hype around CD was (at least partially) the reason they were playing bigger venues in 2006 than they were in 2002, but generally speaking you're right. The hits will always be what puts most fans in the seats. Still, for the most part, they were a successful touring band.

As far as Contraband... when was the last time you actually listened to it in full? I remembered that album as being a lot better than it actually is, last time I listened to it I realized how poorly VR had aged.

You could be right about the mystic around CD before it was released, but I think that affected the hard core fans among the forums a lot more then the casuals. Before I became part of the forum community (in 2007-2008) I have already heard of Chinese Democracy but that became more of a joke as time went by. I heard some of the leaks and that didn't help at all. I was so hyped when they announced GNR at the VMA's in 2002 but that was one of the biggest disappointments ever for me, seeing this freak show, seeing Axl's new style, hearing this new sound in his voice... that kind of shocked me forever :lol:

However, basically every average music fan I knew throughout the 00s, I can tell they didn't know that GNR still existed. Either they didn't know the band at all, or they thought the band had broken up in the 90s. 

I wanna say outside the forums there was never a big hype around GNR during the CD era.

Well, Contraband in full... that's quite some time now, but I don't listen to albums in full a lot anymore, except to new releases. I have my playlist with my favorites and I can say I don't scip the Contraband songs as often as I scip the CD songs. I can still enjoy some of them, though.

But to be honest, last time I listen to Contraband in full I thought the exact opposite compared to you. I never think about music as how well it aged, I just like it or I don't. I really thought what a strong record Contraband really is, and I can tell you, last time I listen to CD in full is much longer ago. 

Not that it does matter, but you asked :lol:

Edited by Free Bird

12 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You could be right about the mystic around CD before it was released, but I think that affected the hard core fans among the forums a lot more then the casuals. Before I became part of the forum community (in 2007-2008) I have already heard of Chinese Democracy but that became more of a joke as time went by. I heard some of the leaks and that didn't help at all. I was so hyped when they announced GNR at the VMA's in 2002 but that was one of the biggest disappointments ever for me, seeing this freak show, seeing Axl's new style, hearing this new sound in his voice... that kind of shocked me forever :lol:

However, basically every average music fan I knew throughout the 00s, I can tell they didn't know that GNR still existed. Either they didn't know the band at all, or they thought the band had broken up in the 90s. 

I wanna say outside the forums there was never a big hype around GNR during the CD era.

Well, Contraband in full... that's quite some time now, but I don't listen to albums in full a lot anymore, except to new releases. I have my playlist with my favorites and I can say I don't scip the Contraband songs as often as I scip the CD songs. I can still enjoy some of them, though.

But to be honest, last time I listen to Contraband in full I thought the exact opposite compared to you. I never think about music as how well it aged, I just like it or I don't. I really thought what a strong record Contraband really is, and I can tell you, last time I listen to CD in full is much longer ago. 

Not that it does matter, but you asked :lol:

I guess curiosity might be a better word than hype. But still there was Rolling Stone articles, Axl interviews, Classic Rock called it album of the year based purely on the leaks... there was relative buzz. When I say there was hype, they weren't competing with Kanye or anything like that but they were doing respectable numbers. The US markets were hit or miss though to be fair.

I used to listen to Contraband all the time when it was released and sporadically for years afterwards but I listened to it for the first time in a long time and it just didn't click for me, was kind of a chore to get through.

• Like 1

I guess curiosity might be a better word than hype. But still there was Rolling Stone articles, Axl interviews, Classic Rock called it album of the year based purely on the leaks... there was relative buzz. When I say there was hype, they weren't competing with Kanye or anything like that but they were doing respectable numbers. The US markets were hit or miss though to be fair.

I used to listen to Contraband all the time when it was released and sporadically for years afterwards but I listened to it for the first time in a long time and it just didn't click for me, was kind of a chore to get through.

They were never completely forgotten. I used to search myself in magazines for GNR news at the time and every once in a while there was an article about them, or just a short note, or a mention. And yes, CD was long awaited but mostly due to the legacy of GNR and the long downtime of any Axl release, I think. 

What I dislike the most on Contraband are the 'nu metal' songs like Headspace and Big Mashine. But I really dig the ballads and the more classic rockers like Slither, Sucker Train Blues and Dirty Little Thing.

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

To my ears prefer contraband to CD, in terms of the music. Locved contraband when it came out, and still like it.

Libertad not so much.

When i listen to contraband, i hear a band playing together not the recording mess and overproduced layers of CD. If i listen to CD i wouldnt have a clue which guitarist is on what track without looking looking at the liner notes.

Contraband rocks and has groove, CD doesnt.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

They were never completely forgotten. I used to search myself in magazines for GNR news at the time and every once in a while there was an article about them, or just a short note, or a mention. And yes, CD was long awaited but mostly due to the legacy of GNR and the long downtime of any Axl release, I think. 

What I dislike the most on Contraband are the 'nu metal' songs like Headspace and Big Mashine. But I really dig the ballads and the more classic rockers like Slither, Sucker Train Blues and Dirty Little Thing.

Interesting i dont get any nu metal vibes from those 2 songs. Love headspace, the guitars sonically sound really good.

I consider myself to be a fan of the 87 to 93 era. Was never onboard as a GNR fan during the nuguns years. i was in the VR corner. I ripped CD when it came out but that was due to curiousity as i wanted to hear the songs under the GNR name.

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yeah I’d say there was a buzz or hype that surrounded the release of CD. I remover MySpace had record streaming numbers when they released it the day before it came out. Plus remember how Dr. Pepper was involved, wanting to give everyone a in America a free can? It crashed their servers. So anyone saying there was only hype on the forum, should probably look at those examples. 

1 hour ago, mikeman5150 said:

Yeah I’d say there was a buzz or hype that surrounded the release of CD. I remover MySpace had record streaming numbers when they released it the day before it came out. Plus remember how Dr. Pepper was involved, wanting to give everyone a in America a free can? It crashed their servers. So anyone saying there was only hype on the forum, should probably look at those examples. 

Fair point.

There were also a rock radio station who played the first single Chinese Democracy every half an our when it dropped. We even had some TV ads.

That Dr Pepper thing worked for both sides, though it was a marketing clue from Pepper itself.

But then again, Axl disappeared for three months or something, there weren't any interviews, no hit singles with music videos to promote anything, Walmart didn't get rid of the copies they ordered, the selling numbers weren't good at all.

There was a very short amount of time were you thought something is moving. 

But it was nothing compared to the hype the classic line up generated.