Have You Given Up On The Band?

Im still a fan but I gave up checking the forums daily around the release of Chinese. I still like to check in occassionally just to see if there's any news, but I have real low expectations that I'll see a new music announcement whenever I do log in.

I still enjoy other aspects of the GN'R universe like Brandos podcast, seeing the occassional "Selects" video or whatever new merch they're releasing :shrugs:

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

As I am disappointed with the band, I just didn't bother to actually follow the (lack of) news. But it's been really a downer to come in some other place and only see posts about Fernando, Beta and Axl being fat. Here it's actually better in this way, so there's that.

Yeah, now it is like "The Wailing Wall" ......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Across the boards people were positive when Axl was killing it with AC/DC, and the Houston proshots got positive responses. When Axl/GNR manage to do something well they get praised for it, it just hasn't happened too often over the last decade unfortunately. Most people on the forums still want the best from Axl, but if his performances are a joke, we may as well laugh at them. I think his voice is basically gone but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I know. I've been around long enough, I know how are the highs and lows. The thing is that I don't care about Fernando, but there are fans obsessed in bringing him up at every single discussion. It's annoying.

I still have a lot of interest in the band, I've been learning on the guitar and recording every Chinese Democracy and AFD songs, the music is still very much a part of my life. 

2 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Yeah, now it is like "The Wailing Wall" ......

It's been that way forever now. Everybody has a reason (or several) to complain, me included. I just don't like to read about every single shit stunt the management team pulls off. It's the band/Axl's fault for sure, but still..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

I know. I've been around long enough, I know how are the highs and lows. The thing is that I don't care about Fernando, but there are fans obsessed in bringing him up at every single discussion. It's annoying.

I still have a lot of interest in the band, I've been learning on the guitar and recording every Chinese Democracy and AFD songs, the music is still very much a part of my life.

Yea, they're still my favourite band even though they're frustrating as hell. :lol:

I don't notice the Fernando stuff in every thread, but when he chooses to communicate with fans through reddit and discord in his usual unprofessional style, it's understandable that he'd be criticized... but the Fernando hate and fat jokes and other stuff is common enough at this point that I either scroll past it or get a little chuckle out of it. I don't take it seriously, though.

• GNFNR 1

If they release new music, great. I'll be one of the first people on earth giving it a listen. If they don't, oh well. The days of sitting on the edge of my figurative seat, just waiting for news of a new record to drop are long... long gone.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Its basically either new music or bust at this point.

Do you mean for you personally, or as a "band"? Because let's be frank, Axl, Slash & Duff can tour this shit for years and people will pay to see AFD & UYI until the cows come home, albeit it at progressively smaller venues. By that time they will have put hundreds of millions in the bank. They'll do another round of stadiums to capitalise on the excitement (already lined up), then we'll see a long ass arena tour that will be the farewell a la Motley and Kiss. All in all, that's the next few years taken care of and then Axl will hang up those size 38" pants and the sombrero he will have progressed on to.

2 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

Do you mean for you personally, or as a "band"? Because let's be frank, Axl, Slash & Duff can tour this shit for years and people will pay to see AFD & UYI until the cows come home, albeit it at progressively smaller venues. By that time they will have put hundreds of millions in the bank. They'll do another round of stadiums to capitalise on the excitement (already lined up), then we'll see a long ass arena tour that will be the farewell a la Motley and Kiss. All in all, that's the next few years taken care of and then Axl will hang up those size 38" pants and the sombrero he will have progressed on to.

For me, it's new music or bust as a band. My interest wanes by the day. I barely even listen to Guns much these days. The non Guns pages of this forum are frequently more interesting.

And I honestly am not sure that they can tour AFD indefinitely. And I'm not sure there is much "excitement". There's a lot of legacy acts but I can't think of one other with such a tiny discography. 

I've said this before on here but for me it is about legacy - they may have billions in the bank but if they never release new music they are murdering their legacy and respect as "artists". If they'd prefer to swap unnecessary millions upon millions in return for their legacy then fair enough, but if I was in their position I would not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, invisible_rose said:

Could they really keep touring the AFD/UYI stuff for years though? They were already reduced to nuGNR levels in the US by 2019 (playing festivals and smaller venues) and, as the Selects made perfectly clear, Axl can't sing the majority of those songs anymore. There was no interest in their 2020 US stadium run, even before covid.

• Like 1

After the 2019 leaks, and the lack of any communication, I gave up on a couple things;

-Anticipating new music

-Thinking they will make a monster splash on the scene.

GNR is still by far my favourite band. And right now I am currently on a hard rocker tip which gets me through this Goddamn world we are in.   

I do think we will hear new music again, just do not think it will be in the traditional sense. Maybe couple songs, or online thing. 

I don't want to be pessimistic, but I think if there is any major vocal work done on any of the current known leaks or new music with Slash and Duff, we may only see it after Axl passes away.  Which will be after legal rights battles etc.

Kind of like how 2pac had 4 albums released after his death. (But 2pac had alot more releases prior).

GnFnR. Lovem but damn what a mission it is to be a fan!

• Like 1

I have a long time ago now. I don't care what Axl does anymore. He's created one album in 27 years, but I hate the fact Duff and Slash are wasting the rest of their good years left with him. I mean, I guess it makes perfect financial sense, I would just much rather they went and started their own band together, revived VR, or just went back to their solo projects.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pugachev said:

I have a long time ago now. I don't care what Axl does anymore. He's created one album in 27 years, but I hate the fact Duff and Slash are wasting the rest of their good years left with him. I mean, I guess it makes perfect financial sense, I would just much rather they went and started their own band together, revived VR, or just went back to their solo projects.

They're Axl little bitches now and everything is just about the money. There is nothing left of the original GnR spirit. 

It's the worst downfall in rock history. From heros to zeros. Fuck.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:22 PM, Sydney Fan said:

Slash and Duff probably feel an obligation because it's their band too. 

👆 This is how i see it to. I feel duff and slash, care more about whatever legacy is left especially from the 87 to 93 era.

From Slashs first solo effort in 2010, i feel he's the only one from the original lineup that still carries the old school GNR torch.

Separate topic, but Duff added Dust N Bones when touring with Shooter Jennings. Why didnt they add that to the GNR NITL setlist?.

He played that song with Loaded already

4 hours ago, NTONIUS said:

After the 2019 leaks, and the lack of any communication, I gave up on a couple things;

-Anticipating new music

-Thinking they will make a monster splash on the scene.

GNR is still by far my favourite band. And right now I am currently on a hard rocker tip which gets me through this Goddamn world we are in.   

I do think we will hear new music again, just do not think it will be in the traditional sense. Maybe couple songs, or online thing. 

I don't want to be pessimistic, but I think if there is any major vocal work done on any of the current known leaks or new music with Slash and Duff, we may only see it after Axl passes away.  Which will be after legal rights battles etc.

Kind of like how 2pac had 4 albums released after his death. (But 2pac had alot more releases prior).

GnFnR. Lovem but damn what a mission it is to be a fan!

Only thing is tupac was a motivated worker in the studio and would do vocals for 4 songs a day at his peak. The producers couldnt catch up.

Axl on the other hand has how many vocals done over the past 30 years? 

Those general leaks even showed he only had a handful of unreleased vocals done in 2000

Edited by vloors
  • Like 2

I'm not sure I can give up on a band that I have invested so little in.  I've been a fan since 92.  I bought all 8 of their CDs, and the box set which comes to 9 cds in a out 30 years.  I own 2 GNR tshirts.  I dont buy any of the toy trucks or any of that crap bc I'm a middle aged dad, and that stuff is kinda silly for me at this point in my life. 

I learned my lesson when I waited for Axl to show up in Philly on 2002.  I learned a bigger lesson when waiting on Chinese Democracy for a decade.  

they dont care about the fans, so I'm not putting any emotion into anything they do.  if there is a new album, great.  if not, I'll be just fine.  based on my 30 yrs as a fan, I'm not counting on them to try to make me happy.  They never gave a fuck about me anyway- except for the fact I could pay 500 dollars for 2 NITL tickets.  so in all honesty, who cares.  I still come on this forum bc they are my favorite band, there can be some really funny comments.....and I need something to do while I take a dump.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At this point I just see Appetite, Illusion, and Democracy as a “trilogy.” That’s how I got “closure” with all of this shit.

I can still see them doing more stuff like live albums and dvds from all the eras, the UYI boxset that may or may not be happening, etc, but even any of that shit would just be a nice little unexpected bonus, at this point.

3 hours ago, pugachev said:

Well there's going to be a new SMKC album in the near future, maybe later this year.

8 hours ago, pugachev said:

They're not wasting anything. They're still releasing albums with their side projects while playing concerts with gnr. It's a win win for them

Edited by StayofExecution2020
  • Like 1