Celebrating the music of GnR

The world is a very dark place at the moment with this pandemic, especially this new more virulent strain.  I was wondering if it would be a good  idea to turn around the disappointment of no new musiuc into gratitude that the 'greatest band in the world' happened in our life time and we have an amazing body of work to enjoy .  This includes all age groups, I met a 69 year old lady who had just got into them:)  and i have met many teenagers who are getting into GnR with awe and excitemennt.

Axl gets a lot of grief which I am not sure why, he is a human being not some kind of superman and, as we have not lived his life we have no idea why he did what he did at any given time.

I thought it may help us to have a 'positive thread' where we share our thoughts and experiences regarding the joy which this group has brought us.

Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven and Matt  (I dont know  much about band members after 96) will always be rememberd and their music always listened too.

• Like 4

If GNR would be frozen in time meaning that all of a sudden they would die in 1993 with all its greatness, I would be totally cool with that and I've had nothing to complain about.

Just like Nirvana.

I wish Axl would never return to music the way he did since 2001 'cause he fucking couldn't manage properly, failed from time to time and ruined all my great imaginations about the band I once loved so much.
To be fair, yes there were short-term kind of signs and flashes of greatness and hope particularly in 2006 and 2016. But that's it. And at this point in my life I'm not not anymore getting excited about new music or any sorts of rumor indicating it. I don't really care if a new music comes out or not 'cause whatever comes out, it's gonna be fake as fuck. I Won't spend a penny anymore on shows or new music that goes to the pockets of the Brazillian clan.

So no, sorry, I can't be positive at all.

Edited by ©GnrPersia
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Mmmm that didnt work too well :huh:.  Ok back to normal...

I do understand it might be quite galling for a two minute fan to come on here and ask for positivity, .if I knew how to cancel a thread I would.  Maybe a moderator could do it.

The unfortunate thing with GNR is that for a band that changed RNR between 87 to 89 and probably 91, there is alot of negatives compared to the positives. Gnr is a case of coulda,woulda,shoulda. 

Im sure the big 3 wish they could have changed certain things within the band upto 96, that may have changed things internally, but i doubt it would have changed slash  walking out in 96.

But from 96 only 1 person was responsible for the direction and musical output of whatever band members consisted of "Guns N Roses" and in my view he failed.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

I do understand it might be quite galling for a two minute fan to come on here and ask for positivity, .if I knew how to cancel a thread I would.  Maybe a moderator could do it.

😁 Nice try and in some way we can appreciate your positivity. To be honest with you, it really is all on us that we are the delusional fools that expected more over the years. We know the deal but yet stupidly hope for more.

Axl and Guns n’ Roses, are performers now, not artists any more and that is the difficult concept we struggle with. 

Like RUSSTCB alluded to in his post above, you’d be better off enjoying other bands and accepting what was incredible in the past, but is dead now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

😁 Nice try and in some way we can appreciate your positivity. To be honest with you, it really is all on us that we are the delusional fools that expected more over the years. We know the deal but yet stupidly hope for more.

Axl and Guns n’ Roses, are performers now, not artists any more and that is the difficult concept we struggle with. 

Like RUSSTCB alluded to in his post above, you’d be better off enjoying other bands and accepting what was incredible in the past, but is dead now.

to be fair, Chinese was eventually released. The reunion eventually happened. everything is painfully slow so maybe it's not dead, just resting.

Axl made a lot of money from the tour and could be working on it when he feels like it, we don't actually know. I don't expect him to share real information about new music even if it exists until he can see the finish line cause he promised shit in the past that he could/would not deliver on time or at all and I don't think he's even close to completing a current Gn'R album so why say anything at all if you don't seem to really view interaction with your fans as a positive at least most of the time or just a burden/risky move?

honestly, if say, a great Gn'R album is released 2 years from now, would you still consider this band dead?

it would be almost impossibly pathetic and just plain embarrassing for this band to come to an end without releasing a final album with Slash and Duff back in the fold.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'll bite-

I'll keep this all positive: the first time I heard GN'R was an incredible moment. I grew up listening to a very wide variety of music but when I heard AFD in 1987, it was somehow like nothing I'd ever heard. 

The first time I saw them in 91, I was certain nothing could live up to what I'd built up in my head but Holy shit, they lived up to it. There was just a magic in the air that didn't happen at other shows I'd seen up to and including that year. 

GN'R is absolutely not the greatest band in the world and I've never thought that BUT there was a very long time where they were my favorite band. They've given me a lot of great memories and in many ways, they still do. 

It's far easier for me to focus on the positive aspects of the band that was GN'R these days than it's been for a long time. I've gone through the same process with other artists I've loved that have come and gone, so I'm glad to be in that place with GN'R now. 

Having said all of that positivity: Axl & the brand that GN'R has become deserve every bit of negativity they get from their long time fans now. 

7 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

See above. There's positivity, you're just not looking for it. 

On the positive side, GNR was one of the most influential bands of my youth and helped give me strength during periods of darkness.  They embodied a purity and energy that few bands could match in the late eighties and early nineties.  The fact that I'm still paying attention to them after three decades is testament to how bright their light was in their prime.  But in all honesty, the light that once shone so bright has atrophied. It has gradually declined from underuse and neglect...at least in the sense of keeping fans engaged and creating new content.  I'm not as jaded as some fans though.  As Axl once said back in 2006, GNR isn't Burger King.  This isn't "have it your way." I feel happy that I got to experience GNR and had them change my life, even if their creative output has long since ended.  Do I wish there was more engagement from the band? Absolutely. Do I wish for new music? Without a doubt. But my disappointment of "what could have been" has passed. I'm just happy I got to experience them for so long, and if something new surfaces, that's just an added bonus at this point. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DurhamGirl said:

Nonsense, the thread is fine. 
Guys are being dicks, because we’re all frustrated, but that doesn’t mean GN’R aren’t a great goddamn band and there shouldn’t be an appreciation thread here. 
It’s just that there have been too many negative factors a die-hard nutter has to deal with. On the other hand, I don’t think one can be seriously affected by anything in this extent unless one cares about it a great deal. 
And that’s why we’re here. 
Happy holidays everyone, and long live that stubborn redhead bastard, the cylinder smoking, cigarette wearing beast, the funk as puck bass shredder, and all the rest! 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 2:29 PM, Rovim said:

to be fair, Chinese was eventually released. The reunion eventually happened. everything is painfully slow so maybe it's not dead, just resting.

Axl made a lot of money from the tour and could be working on it when he feels like it, we don't actually know. I don't expect him to share real information about new music even if it exists until he can see the finish line cause he promised shit in the past that he could/would not deliver on time or at all and I don't think he's even close to completing a current Gn'R album so why say anything at all if you don't seem to really view interaction with your fans as a positive at least most of the time or just a burden/risky move?

honestly, if say, a great Gn'R album is released 2 years from now, would you still consider this band dead?

it would be almost impossibly pathetic and just plain embarrassing for this band to come to an end without releasing a final album with Slash and Duff back in the fold.

Good points, yes CD was eventually released. I remember 20 years ago thinking it will never happen. But it did, however that was 12 years ago.  If GnR released an album in 2 years then I would not consider the band dead. So to me its all about creating music and releasing it. Otherwise they are currently just performers. 

I agree that Axl wouldn't even contemplate discussing a new album unless it was actually in the final stages of being released as he just looked silly in the past and copped it from many people in the industry to the point of becoming a global joke.  And that would go for everyone currently in the camp. They know better now, and were happy pre-covid talking about how they are successfully touring and playing to millions. And they have done that very, very well. Axl has been very professional for a very long time and really proved alot of people wrong. Now only if he could prove alot of people wrong about the popular opinon that he is frightfully reluctant to release his art to the public.