Sean Beavan interview (Brief mention of Axl/CD)

14 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting.

Did Beavan have anything to do with This I Love? Never heard that before. Maybe he was just answering the question about recording Axl in a general way.

Yeah, I think he was answering in general, because TIL is not among the song he recorded, as far as we know (and he's not credited for it).

From an older interview (2015):

-------

You worked with Axl Rose and Guns on "Oh, My God" from the "End of Days" soundtrack and then the "Chinese Democracy" record?

Sean Beavan: He was really cool. I was there for two years and did 35 songs, haha. I was approached by Billy Howerdel from A Perfect Circle. He was doing some programming there with Axl and running one of the computers for it. Robin Finck was playing lead guitar and so the two of 'em kind of approached me to come in and help out and do some production for it. I brought in my friend Critter the engineer who had started engineering for them. Around that time, Chris Vrenna but Josh Freese started there who was a friend of mine.

A lot of people going in and out.

Sean Beavan: It was fun. I knew lots of people there and they knew me. Axl was really, really interested in working with me and doing some stuff together, which was really fun. Axl and I are the same age so we get along really well. We have similar influences.

What are those?

Sean Beavan: We're both big Alice Cooper and Queen fans. That was really fun. Then I got to become really, really, really good friends with Tommy Stinson who was playing bass. Tommy and I have become really, really close and he's part of my first LA family and made me feel good being here.

You have a good time doing the sessions for "Chinese Democracy" though they seemed to have lasted a while?

Sean Beavan: [Laughs] Oh, yeah. Totally. Axl is an incredible talent obviously. He was the only singer I've ever worked with where he came in and in order to warm up, he'd do a 45-minute stand-up routine, hahaha. The dude is amazing. Any joke he hears, he remembers perfectly and he's got a great delivery. He would just get in the vocal booth and then just start killin' it with jokes.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150514060937/https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/sean_beavan_on_recording_slayer_you_have_to_do_it_right_or_the_fans_will_kill_you.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

From an older interview (2015):

-------

You worked with Axl Rose and Guns on "Oh, My God" from the "End of Days" soundtrack and then the "Chinese Democracy" record?

Sean Beavan: He was really cool. I was there for two years and did 35 songs, haha. I was approached by Billy Howerdel from A Perfect Circle. He was doing some programming there with Axl and running one of the computers for it. Robin Finck was playing lead guitar and so the two of 'em kind of approached me to come in and help out and do some production for it. I brought in my friend Critter the engineer who had started engineering for them. Around that time, Chris Vrenna but Josh Freese started there who was a friend of mine.

A lot of people going in and out.

Sean Beavan: It was fun. I knew lots of people there and they knew me. Axl was really, really interested in working with me and doing some stuff together, which was really fun. Axl and I are the same age so we get along really well. We have similar influences.

What are those?

Sean Beavan: We're both big Alice Cooper and Queen fans. That was really fun. Then I got to become really, really, really good friends with Tommy Stinson who was playing bass. Tommy and I have become really, really close and he's part of my first LA family and made me feel good being here.

You have a good time doing the sessions for "Chinese Democracy" though they seemed to have lasted a while?

Sean Beavan: [Laughs] Oh, yeah. Totally. Axl is an incredible talent obviously. He was the only singer I've ever worked with where he came in and in order to warm up, he'd do a 45-minute stand-up routine, hahaha. The dude is amazing. Any joke he hears, he remembers perfectly and he's got a great delivery. He would just get in the vocal booth and then just start killin' it with jokes.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150514060937/https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/sean_beavan_on_recording_slayer_you_have_to_do_it_right_or_the_fans_will_kill_you.html

I wonder how much of the village sessions are in the 35......?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Likely all of it. Beavan said in another interview that he worked on all the songs that made CD except one (which was probably TIL).

So 13 CD tracks leaving 22....still a lot even factoring in Village Sessions stuff/OMG although I suppose if you count the instrumentals that may be close. Can’t remember if The General was that far back? Likely we will never know all this stuff for sure - nightmare.

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

So 13 CD tracks leaving 22....still a lot even factoring in Village Sessions stuff/OMG although I suppose if you count the instrumentals that may be close. Can’t remember if The General was that far back? Likely we will never know all this stuff for sure - nightmare.

No, the General was later (Beavan had been asked about it specifically and he confirmed it).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

Cool stuff. Thanks for posting.

Did Beavan have anything to do with This I Love? Never heard that before. Maybe he was just answering the question about recording Axl in a general way.

He only said thaa the vocals on the record are from 98-00. Feeling cheated already?

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I'm fairly certain we will see Beavan credited on some of the tracks on the next album as well.

Perhaps, Atlas, Hardschool, etc. to name a few.

I wonder what else existed with vocals back in that period, that didn't leak. The "(no vox)" label on Zodiac 13 implies that track existed with vocals back then. Could be scratch vocals like Quick Song or State Of Grace though.

21 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I'm fairly certain we will see Beavan credited on some of the tracks on the next album as well.

I wonder what else existed with vocals back in that period, that didn't leak. The "(no vox)" label on Zodiac 13 implies that track existed with vocals back then. Could be scratch vocals like Quick Song or State Of Grace though.

I only care for "As It Began".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Assuming those songs still make it onto the album, and assuming the album itself still even comes out. The band rehearsing Hardschool and putting Atlas on the Alt setlist is a good sign, but I won’t believe any of it until I’m actually holding the album in my hands and looking at the tracklist.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Assuming those songs still make it onto the album, and assuming the album itself still even comes out. The band rehearsing Hardschool and putting Atlas on the Alt setlist is a good sign, but I won’t believe any of it until I’m actually holding the album in my hands and looking at the tracklist.

Atlas on an alt set list? 

3 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I thought it was Hardschool. I haven't seen anything about them having rehearsed Atlas unless you can point me in the right direction. 

I was there for the Hard School rehearsal in Hollywood, but I’ve never heard that they rehearsed Atlas. Would appreciate some proof @Sosso

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I thought it was Hardschool. I haven't seen anything about them having rehearsed Atlas unless you can point me in the right direction. 

Pretty sure it was in the alt section of the setlist of one of the two 2020 shows, but maybe I’m wrong. Maybe it was one of the 2019 shows?