What Are You Listening To?

Dean

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Check this version out:

does Deck tear that shit up or what?

I've heard it before but it's been forever. I forgot what a good verse it is! Of course it's Deck so it's gonna be good. Hell it's so good that I always liked that one little part they did use, just that little "INS the rebel" during the outro. I always heard they cut that verse due to time restraints on the disk but man it would hard to cut that. But I understand keeping Red & Meth to go along with Daz & Kurupt.

Everybody has such good lines in that song. Meth - Johnny Blaze out to get loot like Johnny Cash, play a game of Russian roulette and have a blast. Kurupt - Ya whole camp's under siege, and I'm Jason Voorhees. Amazing beat by Daz too.

But back to Deck, you can put this verse right here up against anybody. Anybody Lenny!

11 hours ago, J Dog said:

I've heard it before but it's been forever. I forgot what a good verse it is! Of course it's Deck so it's gonna be good. Hell it's so good that I always liked that one little part they did use, just that little "INS the rebel" during the outro. I always heard they cut that verse due to time restraints on the disk but man it would hard to cut that. But I understand keeping Red & Meth to go along with Daz & Kurupt.

Everybody has such good lines in that song. Meth - Johnny Blaze out to get loot like Johnny Cash, play a game of Russian roulette and have a blast. Kurupt - Ya whole camp's under siege, and I'm Jason Voorhees. Amazing beat by Daz too.

But back to Deck, you can put this verse right here up against anybody. Anybody Lenny!

Yeah, Deck is a fuckin' monster.  Did you ever hear that story where Riz had all the fuckin' beats and production and shit done for all the early Wu albums, or a lot of em and after a flood they all got destroyed (they were on floppy disks) and he had to basically start from scratch, piecing shit together either from memory or just making em all new.  He had all these vocal recording settings and modulations that were all lost.  I think Tical was one of the albums that had to be re-done, Ironman too, a bunch of others, including Decks Uncontrolled Substances, which apparently suffered the worst from having to be re-done. 

Yeah, always loved I Got My Mind Made Up, right from the off.  As with losing Decks verse, it was apparently quite slap-dash by Pac, it was literally just cuz he was the last verse so cut the last verse off, its easier.  For someone whoose music sounded so great Pac was very much like a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants kinda guy, by all accounts, there's this famous behind the scene thing where he's lecturing The Outlawz like 'go in there, throw them n!ggaz on the track and leave that other shit to n!ggaz who like sitting in the studio all night playing with levels and shit' :lol:  Which I guess is kinda in keeping with the spirit of hip hop too, just fuckin' raw, protean, improvised, say what you mean, capture the moment kinda thing.  I think thats why so much music suffers as a result of perfectionism (we're on a GnR forum, right?).  I wonder sometimes if that perfectionism shit isn't rooted in a lack of confidence or a lack of talent. 

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, Deck is a fuckin' monster.  Did you ever hear that story where Riz had all the fuckin' beats and production and shit done for all the early Wu albums, or a lot of em and after a flood they all got destroyed (they were on floppy disks) and he had to basically start from scratch, piecing shit together either from memory or just making em all new.  He had all these vocal recording settings and modulations that were all lost.  I think Tical was one of the albums that had to be re-done, Ironman too, a bunch of others, including Decks Uncontrolled Substances, which apparently suffered the worst from having to be re-done. 

Yeah, always loved I Got My Mind Made Up, right from the off.  As with losing Decks verse, it was apparently quite slap-dash by Pac, it was literally just cuz he was the last verse so cut the last verse off, its easier.  For someone whoose music sounded so great Pac was very much like a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants kinda guy, by all accounts, there's this famous behind the scene thing where he's lecturing The Outlawz like 'go in there, throw them n!ggaz on the track and leave that other shit to n!ggaz who like sitting in the studio all night playing with levels and shit' :lol:  Which I guess is kinda in keeping with the spirit of hip hop too, just fuckin' raw, protean, improvised, say what you mean, capture the moment kinda thing.  I think thats why so much music suffers as a result of perfectionism (we're on a GnR forum, right?).  I wonder sometimes if that perfectionism shit isn't rooted in a lack of confidence or a lack of talent. 

Yeah that def hurt Deck the most. His album came way too late. He never got to have that Tical or Ironman or Liquid Swords or Cuban Linx. He has some great verses on Cuban Linx 2 btw.

Yeah they say Pac was like that. I heard on recording All Eyez on Me that Snoop was the only person allowed to like, get time to really sit down and write his verse because he wanted it to be memorable. My goodness they did All Eyez on Me in 2 weeks! That’s a monster of an album to get done that fast, and no drop in quality either. Makaveli was done in 7 days. You can tell it in his raps, so sporadic and raw and kinda chaotic sometimes.

Got My Mind Made Up is also evidence that when he wanted to, Pac could drop some true mc shit.

Edited by J Dog

2 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Yeah that def hurt Deck the most. His album came way too late. He never got to have that Tical or Ironman or Liquid Swords or Cuban Linx. He has some great verses on Cuban Linx 2 btw.

Yeah they say Pac was like that. I heard on recording All Eyez on Me that Snoop was the only person allowed to like, get time to really sit down and write his verse because he wanted it to be rememberable. My goodness they did All Eyez on Me in 2 weeks! That’s a monster of an album to get done that fast, and no drop in quality either. Makaveli was done in 7 days. You can tell it in his raps, so sporadic and raw and kinda chaotic sometimes.

Got My Mind Made Up is also evidence that when he wanted to, Pac could drop some true mc shit.

Yeah that was kinda the point of GMMU, to show he could take the hottest East Coast MCs (or some of em anyway) then put himself and a couple of other West Coast boys on there to help put to bed the notion that only the East Coast can bring it lyrically.

2 fuckin’ weeks though, thats like Beatles level prodigiousness.

26 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah that was kinda the point of GMMU, to show he could take the hottest East Coast MCs (or some of em anyway) then put himself and a couple of other West Coast boys on there to help put to bed the notion that only the East Coast can bring it lyrically.

2 fuckin’ weeks though, thats like Beatles level prodigiousness.

“So mandatory my elevation, my lyrics like orientation
So you can be more familiar with the hooray for tolerance! you facin'
We must be patient, nothin' better than communication
Known to damage and highly flammable, like gas stations
Sorry, I left that ass waitin', no more procrastination
Give up to fate and get that ass shakin'
I'm bustin' and makin' motherfuckers panic
Don't take your life for granted
Put that ass in the dirt, you swear the bitch was planted“

Love how Daz put that little bit of scratch in the background.

10 minutes ago, J Dog said:

“So mandatory my elevation, my lyrics like orientation
So you can be more familiar with the hooray for tolerance! you facin'
We must be patient, nothin' better than communication
Known to damage and highly flammable, like gas stations
Sorry, I left that ass waitin', no more procrastination
Give up to fate and get that ass shakin'
I'm bustin' and makin' motherfuckers panic
Don't take your life for granted
Put that ass in the dirt, you swear the bitch was planted“

Love how Daz put that little bit of scratch in the background.

Getting his little metaphors and punchlines in there :lol:  He was never an MC MC MC, in the battle rhymer sense but he could freestyle pretty good and really threw it out from the gut, you felt that shit.

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Getting his little metaphors and punchlines in there :lol:  He was never an MC MC MC, in the battle rhymer sense but he could freestyle pretty good and really threw it out from the gut, you felt that shit.

I thought the same thing lol. Highly flammable like gas stations! Heartz of Men is another one from All Eyez that really showed off his mc side.

Yeah you felt that guy. One of the few rappers that when he rapped mad, it wasn’t like, ok this verse i need to sound mean and mad, no, he was really mad :lol:

Probably not the type of stuff the typical GN’R fan would listen to, but being an Australian, I’ve always had a soft spot for John Farnham, and I’ve been going back and discovering some gems from earlier in his career.

Him playing with Little River Band in the early 80’s, is just pop rock perfection. Seriously, the harmonies these guys pull off, and the band are all incredible musicians. Here you could see that John Farnham was on his way to becoming the big star he would later become

Another thing to note, is how incredibly hugely popular Little River Band were back then. I think they had a pretty big following in the US too.

https://youtu.be/v-WZ p_u4Y3Y

Edited by metallex78