01/01/01 HOB 20 years ago

On 1/3/2021 at 8:11 AM, uzi your illusion said:

This was the official start of me waiting for Axl to takeover the world again. And there were certainly glimpses of when I thought it could be a reality. This show, Rio '01, MSG '02, CD release in '08, 2006/2007/2010 tours, But it really wasnt until probably the end of 2010 when it dawned on me that even though I wanted to see him as the top rock star in the world, he never really gave a shit about whether or not the rest of the world saw him that way. He was just trying to get his music out there and juggle expectations that the bands legacy required as well as whatever he had going on personally through the years. And that will just have to be enough for you as a fan or else you will be severely disappointed.

Do you guys think there was a time [post 2000] where Axl really cared about being in the biggest band in the world again? 

I hate to say it, but at that NBA game he had the look of someone doing chemotherapy. He was very thin, obvious wig, very gaunt.  I guess it’s possible that he had some form of cancer that went into remission and was wearing a wig until his hair grew back.... 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I hate to say it, but at that NBA game he had the look of someone doing chemotherapy. He was very thin, obvious wig, very gaunt.  I guess it’s possible that he had some form of cancer that went into remission and was wearing a wig until his hair grew back.... 

He did look off then. Almost like a different person.

He did indeed look very off at the NBA Finals and much of 2001/2002. It's made even stranger because whatever weirdness there was seemed to be gone by 2006 when he looked as you would expect a 44 year old Axl Rose to look. I remember someone photoshopping 2006 Axl to 1994 HOF Axl and there was hardly a difference, yet in 2000/2001 it was like a different person.

I kind of wish he would adopt the same style as he did in 2006/7.

The leather jackets, vests and jeans were a good look. I could do without the wide open shirts though.

He dresses like a middle aged dad now which I suppose he kind of is. 

Edited by mystery

19 hours ago, uzi your illusion said:

I know this is 100% hearsay but I had a person I knew who was aware how big a fan I am and they mentioned to me that they worked at Salon Memorial Kettering [cancer hospital] and said Axl was a patient there in the very early 2000's. 

Hope that's not true, but there are more than a few rumors about him receiving cancer treatment around this time.

Here's an interesting article I found with tidbits before the HOB show. It's from a roadie and his recollection of December 27, 2000. Some highlights:

•Axl having his own tea guy.           

•The roadie making Axl tea.         

•Axl with guitar in hand showing the band something he wanted to do during Madagascar. I'm assuming he might have played it as well.                                               

•Buckethead being able to play every song known to man.               

•Axl singing & playing November Rain on piano in the studio.

https://www.loudersound.com/amp/features/a-rare-glimpse-into-the-mundane-world-of-axl-rose

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, James Bond said:

He did indeed look very off at the NBA Finals and much of 2001/2002. It's made even stranger because whatever weirdness there was seemed to be gone by 2006 when he looked as you would expect a 44 year old Axl Rose to look. I remember someone photoshopping 2006 Axl to 1994 HOF Axl and there was hardly a difference, yet in 2000/2001 it was like a different person.

I think this was the no eyebrows photo. I just put it down to maybe a facelift but maybe other things were going on with his health. 🤷‍♂️

• 8 months later...

The truth is that HoB was a spectacular show. Axl still looks like him young, his clean voice is not unpleasant (I wish he sang that well today), he threw some inhuman notes and screams (Live and Let Die) and in some songs he sings like on the UYI tour (Oh My God, final part of You Could Be Mine, Mr. Brownstone). It’s a shame that RiR didn’t sound so good, but come on, in no RiR Axl has sounded really good…

Sure, the 2006 shows and the last 2002 shows are better than this one, but it’s still amazing. I don’t know how many people think Axl 2001-02 is comparable to Axl 2011-21.

• GNFNR 1

44 minutes ago, Neider said:

The truth is that HoB was a spectacular show. Axl still looks like him young, his clean voice is not unpleasant (I wish he sang that well today), he threw some inhuman notes and screams (Live and Let Die) and in some songs he sings like on the UYI tour (Oh My God, final part of You Could Be Mine, Mr. Brownstone). It’s a shame that RiR didn’t sound so good, but come on, in no RiR Axl has sounded really good…

Sure, the 2006 shows and the last 2002 shows are better than this one, but it’s still amazing. I don’t know how many people think Axl 2001-02 is comparable to Axl 2011-21.

Axl was still relatively young at that point being only 38. He undeniably looked different from the last time he was really seen around 1993/94, the ruggedness of his looks was gone and his hair wa thicker and darker than what most people would remember.

I feel like his voice would've been in relatively good shape from the recording he probably did in 2000. I assume he rehearsed somewhat as well. It's been documented that his voice had changed after the UYI tour so it was never going to sound like his voice from the 90s. He was gradually using more clean vocals during the Chi-Dem sessions.

Regarding the Rio performance, I wonder if it was a lack of rehearsal on Axl's part. He most likely vacationed there for a few weeks before the show with little to no rehearsal.

6 hours ago, mystery said:

Axl was still relatively young at that point being only 38. He undeniably looked different from the last time he was really seen around 1993/94, the ruggedness of his looks was gone and his hair wa thicker and darker than what most people would remember.

I feel like his voice would've been in relatively good shape from the recording he probably did in 2000. I assume he rehearsed somewhat as well. It's been documented that his voice had changed after the UYI tour so it was never going to sound like his voice from the 90s. He was gradually using more clean vocals during the Chi-Dem sessions.

Regarding the Rio performance, I wonder if it was a lack of rehearsal on Axl's part. He most likely vacationed there for a few weeks before the show with little to no rehearsal.

Brain told in an interview (a long one in a drums podcast called "I hit that" I think) that before going to Rio Axl made them play the whole show instrumental only and him sitting in a couch listening for 2 hours. I think they played with Axl together on stage in HOB for the first time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomek1985 said:

Remember that too. Good point.

Probably the closest Axl looked to how he did in the 90's was 2006/7. Even then you can still see that his skin looks unnaturally smoothed and stretched. It's a shame that he didn't allow himself to age naturally. These pics supposedly from 1999 showed what a naturally aged Axl looked like before he started trying to look younger around 2000. World of difference from 2001 which was barely 2 years later:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/b9/f8/f6b9f8abc0812be8cc0b95dc3d8ed455.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-16V3a9ee33Q/Uvp0dFRLxoI/AAAAAAAAAOw/DhrMl-_YZ7s/s1600/1995.jpg

https://pp.userapi.com/c303706/v303706603/5192/5kb4qaVHo2A.jpg

On 1/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, BangoSkank said:

Honestly, I'd kill for a full account of everything that happened with this band from 2001 - 2016. Will have to settle for Chinese Whispers though. 

Almost nothing happened, apart from a flash of enthusiasm in 05/06 where he got in shape, got his voice back and got back in the studio and sang Better, Sorry etc.

But you're right - it would be fascinating to hear Rose's side of the story, and his endless excuses of how everyone was against him and all the various reasons why he couldn't record music and release the record.

I'd much rather a book by Axl than a 'new' album featuring cut and pasted old vocals at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pele said:

Almost nothing happened, apart from a flash of enthusiasm in 05/06 where he got in shape, got his voice back and got back in the studio and sang Better, Sorry etc.

But you're right - it would be fascinating to hear Rose's side of the story, and his endless excuses of how everyone was against him and all the various reasons why he couldn't record music and release the record.

I'd much rather a book by Axl than a 'new' album featuring cut and pasted old vocals at this point.

I would definently like to see a 2001 - 2016 diary, with all the events. It seems quite interesting, and to see how long each songs were recorded/re-recorded/re-re-recorded, which ones took the longest, etc, etc... What date maybe one of Axl's dogs shat in Buckethead's chicken coop... Hell I'd pay some big bucks for that

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, opalho said:

I would definently like to see a 2001 - 2016 diary, with all the events. It seems quite interesting, and to see how long each songs were recorded/re-recorded/re-re-recorded, which ones took the longest, etc, etc... What date maybe one of Axl's dogs shat in Buckethead's chicken coop... Hell I'd pay some big bucks for that

Yeah me too.

My personal thoughts from 2001 lead me to where I am today really.

Prior to House of Blues and Rock in Rio, I was hoping he had been locked away, working on a bunch of epic ballads like November Rain, Estranged, Breakdown etc, with a modern twist, and he had a clear vision as to what he wanted the album to sound like and he didn't have anyone to hold him back.

However, I had begin to doubt it, because we had heard OMG and I was alarmed at how bad it was.

Then the shows happened.  Sure, there were flashes of brilliance (Maddy/The Blues), however OMG/Silkworms/Riad and the decent but mediocre Chinese Democracy title track made it crystal clear that this guy wasn't hoarding a batch of masterpieces.

Then 8 years later, we got exactly what I expected from that point.  An album with a few good/great songs (albeit horribly overworked) and some utter, utter garbage.

It was clear that someone who had included Scraped, Riad, Catcher, If The World etc on 'the most anticipated album of all time' had nothing of note as backup.  All the nonsense about 'big guns' and epic songs in the vault was laughable.

The Vault has leaked.  Perhaps is ok.  HardSkool was ok.  State of Grace was good but unfinished.  Atlas is horrible.  And that's all he has, apart from instrumentals written/recorded by employees.  He recorded The General in 06 and it's much more likely to be average than epic.

• Like 1

I think that it is an interesting period to look at, Axl with a vision and doubling down on it with no regard to what anyone else thought GNR was or should be.  They were solid live, they gave the old songs a different vibe and it all was strange and kind of cool.  That being said, guitarwise even with Bucket, I just have less interest due to Slash being back nowadays

15 hours ago, mystery said:

Axl was still relatively young at that point being only 38. He undeniably looked different from the last time he was really seen around 1993/94, the ruggedness of his looks was gone and his hair wa thicker and darker than what most people would remember

You are absolutely right, although certainly Axl from 2001 (HoB and RiR, not NBA) even with his “oddities” in appearance, he still gives me an air of the younger Axl, but I agree that the Axl from 2006-07 was the most similar to the youngest Axl. I don’t know about you but, I see very similar to Axl from 93-96 to Axl from 98, and to Axl from 06-07.

PS: Now if we talk about Axl NBA 2001, he definitely seems like a different person even to Axl at the beginning and end of the same year. And already in 2002… well, I think his appearance was very bizarre in that year and there is a greater difference, but in 2006 he returned and again he looked like Axl Rose.

• Like 1